• Announcements

• Erik

26 September - Maintenance Notification   09/21/2024

CombatACE.com will be offline this upcoming Thursday morning, September 26, 2024. The duration of this event will be 4-5 hours. Our website will be unavailable and return an error during that time. Maintenance of our equipment is unavoidable, and this downtime will allow the opportunity to replace worn and damaged fans, power supply units, and thermal paste throughout all our equipment. Thank you for reading our maintenance advisory.
Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Gothas Along the Thames!

Gothas Along the Thames!

It is a moonlit night in July of 1917. London sleeps as flights of Gotha bombers proceed from the east along the Thames with the intention of bombing the very heart of Britain yet again. Your flight of Se5's stationed at Sutton's Farm have been given the order to scramble immediately and intercept the Hun threats before they can unleash their deadly cargo. Camels from nearby Hainault Farm are on the way as well to assist in this most dire mission. Fly south to the river and alt up as fast as you can and don't waste your ammo, there will be no time to land and reload. Watch for the searchlights and the AA as they converge on the Gothas, it will aid you in locating them once they are over the city. This will be an extremely difficult mission, so do your best. The safety of London depends on you and your squad mates. Good luck and God's speed, you will need both.

RAF_Lou

Man, that was quick...The mission is breathtaking. Intercepting a night raid of Gothas over London is quite a challenge. Can we adapt some more Phase 2 missions, Please?

I am Lov'n It.

OlPaint01

Hello RAF_Lou

I believe you have discovered the tricks to convert old Phase 2 OFF missions to run in OFF:BHaH. Pilotsden and EuroFinn have hugh archives of Phase 2 missions over SOH that are just begging to be converted. Could you publish a "How To" for the rest of us unwashed to follow your methods?

OlPaint01

Hello OlPaint01,

Actually, the "Gothas Along the Thames" mission was a complete rebuild on my part. I changed the routes, the waypoints, the bases, time and date...all of it. I also added the airraid sirens and a lot more AA to the mix, just for flavour when you are flying over London. And I rearranged the placement and number of searchlights as well.

As to the trick of converting the old missions, here is what I've discovered so far. In the few Phase 2 missions I have opened up and looked at, the main reason they won't work in Phase 3 seems to be because the file names for the planes and other such items no longer match what is now in your OFF folders. If you go into the .XML mission file via the code itself, (use Notepad or something similar for this), you will see what I mean. The plane choice may have been tagged as say "fokkerDR1_ace" in Phase 2, while in Phase 3 you may now have to use something like "fokker_DR1_AC1". If you go through and change all the affected file names to those that are now available I am betting most of these old Phase 2 missions will work as BHaH missions.

Check it out Sir, and see if you can get one to go for you. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

It seems that when I download your file there is no Gotha weapons only the file: off_zep_weapons.zip which contains the folders

OFF_ZEP_100

off_zep_50

which my OFF installation already has. Are we supposed to overwrite the existing OFF folders with these of the same name? Are they in fact the files of the Gotha's weapons?

Winston, no there are no Gotha "weapons" in the download, only the Gotha pylons. And no, do not overwrite any existing files, (I did make sure to mention that in the instructions included in the download). It should all work for you Sir, I just tried the download myself and it went fine. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Thanks! I for one am glad you put all the files needed into ONE download. :good: I usually don't do add-ons because you simply can't find all the files you need easily. I'm so tired of searching to hell and back for an addon that goes with another addon and so forth. The owners of these files need to get over themselves and not be so picky about who includes their work while bringing to us a much better/complete version of an addon.

Hi RAF Louvert, that's just wonderful, thankyou. I've read accounts of how difficult night flying was, and I love the way you've got 0 idea (no cheating with radar!) where the bombers are until... the searchlights come on! Isn't London beautiful by the light of the silvery moon, and I bet the stars are in the right places too! Loved the Paris mission, loved the London one. Where are you taking us to save the world next?

I've just found the answer! The Alps!! Awesome!!!