Sign in to follow this  
GwynO

Guide to building Thirdwire Cockpits

Is there one? Preferably written with the total novice in mind?

Also, what would be the absolute cheapest way to go about creating a 3D model cockpit, bearing in mind I don't intend to spend £80 on a student edition of 3DS Max when I don't even know if I'll be any good at it, there must be a free way around it?

There is none that I ever seen. There is no cheap way you got to have 3d max and a clue on how to model.

I'll just have to win the lottery then. I can't find it cheap even on ebay :sad:

well, actually there is one, but i'm not sure if this is totally legal.

check for older versions of 3ds Max, ages ago i got 3ds5 from a programming school that was going out of buisness.

i've lost it in my moving, but i think it wasn't compatible, it came with an manual , or instruction bible, book but i wasn't proficient enought in english to read and understand.

btw, you can use gmax(its free) to modeling but you need somebody to export/texturize it for you.

here, i found the outdated version...

--

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/animation-3d-model...d-studio-max-5/

and the bible...

http://cgi.ebay.com/3ds-max-5-Bible_W0QQit...93%3A1|294%3A50

cheaper, but i'm not sure if does it worth...and idk if its also supports the TW export plugin.

Edited by Silverbolt

I'll definitely practice with the free one first! About the old version, I can't see why it wouldn't be legal, they are only selling a second hand product after all. Version 5 would, possibly be more than good for Thirdwire games as on McFly's aviation they mention the Thirdwire exporter plugin works for R3.1 and R4.0 of 3DS Max! :good: Cheers Yuri!

http://www.blender.org/

Blender is a free open source 3d program I believe you could use this, it does seem very capable. I don't really know much about 3d modeling for thirdwire games maybe someone here can let you know if this program would work.

Folks, to be clear, the ONLY 3d program that works natively with the ThirdWire exporter is 3ds MAX. ANY other 3d program's output will require the file to be translated to the .MAX format for someone with 3ds MAX to output it to the .LOD format that the ThirdWire sims use. Which usually means a resultant loss of something, usually mappings, animations, etc.

FC

Hmm so Gmax for example, would I loose the ability to make animations from asking someone else to export it?

I think so. I believe only thing the other programs are good for is to make the basic model. Most of the time, mappings, animations will need to be done by someone with 3ds Max.

FC

Right, ok well for now seeing as I have absolutely zero experience, knowledge or talent at all with any 3D modelling software.. I'll give it a bash with the free stuff. If at some point in the next 7 years I produce a semi decent basic B-1B pit model, I will think about buying the cheapest available full version. It will be a long road.

There are a number of good tutorials written for CFS3 and GMAX - bearing in mind that making the parts is similar, and that GMAX and 3DS MAX are also similar, there'll be a lot you can learn, even if naming of parts and exporting procedures are different. Try here first - he's the man who did the visual models for the French aircraft in MAW. We have worked together a great deal, as I did the paining inside and out for most of them.

http://www3.telus.net/murrdaka/tutorial/B2BNZ.htm

Right, ok well for now seeing as I have absolutely zero experience, knowledge or talent at all with any 3D modelling software.. I'll give it a bash with the free stuff. If at some point in the next 7 years I produce a semi decent basic B-1B pit model, I will think about buying the cheapest available full version. It will be a long road.

As a person who has built a cockpit, and who has been a Bone pilot, it might be easier to start with something a hell of a lot simpler than a Bone cockpit.

Otherwise, one of two things will probably happen:

1) By the time you are done with the cockpit, the 4th generation of TW sims will be out, making your work obsolete because all the conventions will be different or

2) You will throw your computer through the window in frustration.

Just a thought.

FC

As a person who has built a cockpit, and who has been a Bone pilot, it might be easier to start with something a hell of a lot simpler than a Bone cockpit.

1) By the time you are done with the cockpit, the 4th generation of TW sims will be out, making your work obsolete because all the conventions will be different or

Just a thought.

FC

Man alive! I can only imagine how brilliant you must have felt sitting in the pilot's seat in the B-1, can you get a better job in aviation? I doubt.

Regretfully I have battered computers to death before now, but for quite understandable reasons. I learn't my lesson :biggrin: No matter how frustrating, I will at least give it my best try, however I fear point number 1 is the biggest stumbling block. I have no doubt I could eventually build a pit but not this side of next year or maybe even the next.

There are a number of good tutorials written for CFS3 and GMAX - bearing in mind that making the parts is similar, and that GMAX and 3DS MAX are also similar, there'll be a lot you can learn, even if naming of parts and exporting procedures are different. Try here first - he's the man who did the visual models for the French aircraft in MAW. We have worked together a great deal, as I did the paining inside and out for most of them.

http://www3.telus.net/murrdaka/tutorial/B2BNZ.htm

Nice one! Thank you! I need all the references I can get! And a lot of cushy sites at work would be handy too, to actually study this somewhat.

Just a thought.

FC

Sir can I please have a #2. :biggrin:

If you're new to modeling, I'd suggest starting with a ground object and move up incrementally until you arrive at a cockpit. There are lots of things that you'll learn along the way. Those things, as a whole, will be your skill set that will make you say - a cockpit, no biggie. Just don't bite off more than you can chew or you'll become overwhelmed very quickly and just give up.

If you're new to modeling, I'd suggest starting with a ground object and move up incrementally until you arrive at a cockpit. There are lots of things that you'll learn along the way. Those things, as a whole, will be your skill set that will make you say - a cockpit, no biggie. Just don't bite off more than you can chew or you'll become overwhelmed very quickly and just give up.

Aye! I'm planning to start off with a real model for the WE.177 bombs, then progress to things with more lines gradually! Very gradually :yes: