I`m working on the Su-33UB and have added some details to, and mirrored some objects together with some animations, checked the links and exported it, now the game crashes everytime I want to load this bird. What is wrong now?

I`m out of ideas... :tumbleweed:

Mirrored...did you mirror as a group? Or individual objects?

I think as single objects.. if you group something and export it will not be showed on the plane or displaced so far I know..

Okay.

Lets start from square one. Hide the objects you changed (assuming they are at the end of the hierarchy), then reexport and check. If that works good, then start unhiding the objects until you find the offender.

FC

When exactly does it crash?...if it crashes when it starts loading a\c...it could be you are missing summat such as cockpit..

are you trying to load int...on runway in cockpit...In air?....etc...try option of start in air....as it could be the landing gears are set wrong...

just a few ideas ive stumbled across time to time...

ok tried it in Air, still a crash, when I replace the LOD with a older one it runs good with no problems,, realy don`t know what I have done wrong? looks similar so the ini`s can be the factor.

when you hide something, will it be exported too?

No...all the newer F-111 models were built by hiding and unhiding parts...one MAX file to cover several different F-111 models.

FC

ok thx for this info, I now deleted for a test the wings and the newer parts I have created, and there must be somewhere the misstake.. cause the plane worked without the parts

realy strange, what is different on the newer parts than on the older ones?... mh

Okay, start adding the parts one group at a time to narrow which group, then specifically which part.

Then we can go from there.

FC

As someone who can speak from recent experience as a NEWBIE to 3dsmax, I can testify that the program/conversion to .LOD interface occasionally still does unpredictable things. It is rare, but stuff still does happen for which I cannot explain. (I had a few parts appear in game completely out of place by a few meters - and they were certainly in place on the base model...) Only remedy was to retrace the parts completely new and delete the old, and then it worked. I refused to move them out of place on the base model in max so that they were IN place in game.

Good advice from FC - hide recent parts until the offender is found, then remake that one from scratch.

Mike

Here is what it sounds like to me.

When I used to get crashes like this it was ALWAYS for the same reason.

too many vertices in the same spot. A quick way to check was to merge vertices.

Not a bad idea...use the weld function for vertices within .001 meter.

FC

will check it thx

@mppd it seems you haven`t linked the parts the correct way, had the same prob but after i relinked the displaced part it worked.

Ok I think it has something to do with the wings.. when I delete them all works good... mh now I have to find the bad box

Thanks BB for the tip - I didn't mean to hijack the thread. But, it is always appreciated by myself when anyone chimes in with help or a similar experience. Someone could put together a newbie's guide to basic 3sdmax stuff some time - not just 3D construction, but these sort of troubleshooting tips. Hey, I never knew about linking parts until my first creation wouldn't appear in game!! Lots to learn for anyone new at this...

Mike

no prob the linking hirachi is simple the fuselage is the main part were all other parts are linked to. Outerwing---> Wing --> Fuselage and so on

Ok I tried also my older max file of this bird, same problem, and the animations seemed to be damaged, the ladder animation works only in 3D max, not ingame. It works before I don`t have changed anything. Wingfolding doesn`t work also cause of no wings???? The plane crash the game with wings. Refuelprobeanimation works but it looks like there were some planes displaced and stretched .... the strangest thing I`ve ever seen ingame. but al animations works good and normal in max. without stretched planes

Okay, you've got a transform problem.

First, make sure your animation controllers are all TCB (you'll find this under the Animation tab...the tab has a picture of a wheel rolling). Select the particular mesh that is animated, select the Animation tab (wheel rolling), then you'll see a subtitle called Assign Controller. Click on that, and the window will expand and you'll see 3 entries that say Rotation, Scale, Position. On each one, click, then click the little question mark button above it. A window will come up, allowing selection of TCB. Do that for each of the parameters (Rotation, Scale, Position).

Now, the transform problem. You are going to have to unlink ALL the troubled meshes, then find and run Reset XForm (located in the same place the TW exporter option is at). Save before you Reset XForm each part...sometimes there are strange results. Then make sure your pivot points are in their proper locations (you may have to use the Hierarchy tab to Transform and then move and align your pivot points again), then relink, then you may possibly need to reanimate.

FC

good advice, will check it hope it helps, but I haven`t changed much before, just created a new cover for a part and the probs started?!?! :-(

BB,

I believe you. But it doesn't matter how it looks in MAX if the exported file is all screwed up. Also, triple check your links to make sure they are heirarchied correctly.

FC

you are right I`m a bit frustrated, have to check it tomorrow we have 0:39 here now. I realy thank you FC for your advice, I first have to translate your posting to be 100% sure in what I have to do. (english is not my native language)

But hope you like my 3D work until now (still heavy WIP) and I think with your help it will be flying again.

best regards

Martin

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird