Sign in to follow this  
Lanzfeld

CFS 3 DVD Question

I am trying to find the "good" version of CFS3 as the first step to getting OFF. I want the DVD as I have read that this is the one that would not require the DVD to be in the tray to play OFF. I have found the "Xplosiv" version online but I dont know if this is the DVD or CD version. Can anyone confirm which it is "Xplosiv" and if it is not the DVD then maybe someone can tell me where to get it?

Many thanks!!

You need the Ubisoft one.

In Australia at least it has an orange cover with "What's Hot" accross the top and Combat Flight Simulator 3 under that.

It is distributed by EB Games. So hopefuly where ever you are there is an EB Games store.

The UbiSoft DVD's are also multi language and are published in the value range. (not full priced software) So different countries may have a different box / distibutor.

Definately worth the effort to find as there is zero protection on the DVD so you can copy off the files for a backup anywhere. It comes patched to 3.1, so you still need the 3.1a patch.

Cheers MarkL

You need the Ubisoft one.

It comes patched to 3.1, so you still need the 3.1a patch.

Cheers MarkL

IIRC, I don't think you need the 3.1a patch, but no doubt someone who is certain will clarify this. :biggrin:

I managed to pick up a copy of CFS3 at DSE here in Aus today and it's the What's Hot range and there's no need to keep the DVD in drive which is a big +. Now i'm just waiting for OFF to arrive in the mail. :biggrin:

Haven't used the 3.1a since late Phase 1

No, the 3.1a patch is really for CFS3. It's patched some gauges on certain planes.

All you need is the 3.1 patch.

OvS

Thanks...

I am in the States but I will keep an eye out for this copy.

Quite a lot of Ubisoft copies for sale on ebay.co.uk at the mo. Search for 'Combat Flight Simulator 3', then 'See all matching items from international sellers'. Someone in France, for example, with 10+ copies & will post to US. Note: the packaging is marked 'Exclusive Collection' (not 'Xplosiv' - you definitely don't want 'Xplosiv' version :no: ) but it's marked Ubisoft too if you look carefully.

The 3.1a patch fixes the airspeed indicator in the B-25 in CFS3 and has no effect on OFF.

CJ

Quite a lot of Ubisoft copies for sale on ebay.co.uk at the mo. Search for 'Combat Flight Simulator 3', then 'See all matching items from international sellers'. Someone in France, for example, with 10+ copies & will post to US. Note: the packaging is marked 'Exclusive Collection' (not 'Xplosiv' - you definitely don't want 'Xplosiv' version :no: ) but it's marked Ubisoft too if you look carefully.

Try Amazon.com or even the bargin bin at Best Buy, or Staples. Seems folks have been scarfing them from those locations. I got mine on Amazon.com for 9.99 USD

(not 'Xplosiv' - you definitely don't want 'Xplosiv' version....

Ooops! That's the version I'm running! It's the version you'll find if you go to the Microsoft website. Why don't I want it?

I bought my spare copy of CFS3 (CD version) for $6.90 on Ebay. Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about. There is a NO CD crack for GENUINE copies of CFS3 out there. I won't give a link because it may be misconstrued by some as advocating piracy, but in this case I don't agree. If the new (Ubisoft) DVD version can be used without the disk in the drive, what's the big deal if you have a file that allows you to use your genuine CD version without that requirement. Anyway, I've got two genuine copies of CFS3 and the longer they last the better I like it.

It says the file in question only works with genuine CDs but I couldn't say for sure that it will not work with one that is not, since I don't have one.

CJ