Sign in to follow this  
Fortiesboy

Damage Model mods for you to try out and report back in this thread

I'll report back to this point. I can't get the files to work for me.

I made a backup of the original xdp.

renamed the .txt. to xdp

deleted the bdp file.

All this is in the Nieuport17_lewis_qc1 fiolder.

When I tried to do quick combat against it, when it came time to load the CFS3 engine, I got an error that the Nieuport17_lewis_qc1 file was damaged and the airplane will not be available or something to that effect.

I went back and moved my xdp backup out of the folder in case 2 xdp's in the same folder was causing a conflict.

I also went back and made sure all the folder heirarchy had read only unchecked.

I got the same error. Both times, a new bdp file was not created.

Thanks. Would like to test this if I can.

Update: I reviewed the thread again and you must remove some of the underscores in the new files and replace them with spaces in order to match the names of the old ones. Now, on to testing.

Edited by Mr. Lucky

Report so far:

1st combat: Alb DIII v. N17 lewis

Due to the maneuverability of the N17 and the performance of my machine, the results were inconclusive. I only got a few snap shots and he did the usual AI trick of maneuvering into the ground. I might have damaged him to cause this but I saw no visual confirmation.

2nd combat: Sop Pup v. Alb DIII

Saw debris come off the EA but no visual damage and he eventually just flew into the ground.

3rd combat: SE5A v Alb DIII

Decided to try something with more firepower. Still saw some debris but the EA maneuvered very well and I couldn't get a sustained burst into him. He maneuvered into the ground.

4th combat: SE5A v Alb DIII

This time set the EA skill to rookie. The previous combats were random. This allowed me to get a good burst into him. Results were better. Still saw debris come from the plane. On one burst into the fuselage saw a ball of flame come from him, but no fire. After that, he maneuvered wildly as he descended (might have been out of control) then about 800 feet up, he actually spiraled in. This gave the best results so far.

Conclusion to this point. It seems pretty good to me. I play with aids off and even though I didn't see 'damage' or breakage, it was still good to see results of my hits. I am still using the hard damage model btw. I may switch to intermediate and try that in campaign as well as the threshold adjustments in QC. I'll keep you posted.

As mentioned in the other thread re DM , here are some more XDP files for you to try.

Reminder.

First, back up the appropriate planes xdp files

These files are for use in the Hardcore DM. Use "Rename" when you right click these files and remove "txt" suffix and replace with "xdp". You will get a warning re re naming them . just say "yes".

You will see they have become xdp files.

Copy them into the appropriate plane folder and say yes to overwrite.

Now, before leaving the folder, delete the bdp file. ( if you don't, the new xdp file won't "take" , Don't worry, a new bdp file will be created when you start the sim.)

Close the folder - don't use the X in top right corner- use File/close.

Here they are.

camel_QC1.txt

Alb_DIII_QC1.txt

FE2b_QC1.txt

Pfalz_DIIIa_QC1.txt

Re_QC1.txt

Se5a_QC1.txt

Sopwith_Tripe_2G_QC1.txt

hannover_QC1.txt

cheers

FB

I've flown a few missions in campaign with the damage mod and I must say I like it better than the easy or hard dm's.

For my craft, I see no difference. In all three the first molecule of lead always still seems to hit something critical. Either I can barely turn, one wing drops or the engine runs rough and loses power. At best this puts me out of the fight and at worst, makes ma a mark on someone else's kill board.

For the AI, I like the feel much better. I don't need explosion, or fires or mid-air breakups on every kill. My last two kills had finally fallen from a hail of lead and entered into a spin down to the ground, which I had seen in the preview videos, but only once, I think, in the stock game. This was much better than following them in a lazy descent, continuing to pour rounds into them in case they weren't actually shot down, until they finally settled into the ground.

If I find more to observe, good or bad, I will post it here. So far so good.

I've flown a few missions in campaign with the damage mod and I must say I like it better than the easy or hard dm's.

Mr Lucky S!

I note you are flying in campaign. I take it your post is not commenting on my xdps uploaded above?

If you are referring to using the above xdp files, then the problem is you won't see their effects, because they are only for aircraft as used in QC !

To evaluate them, you have to do the testing in QC. Preferably uisng the CFS3 QC as found in Workshops. There you can select and change your location, weather etc.

Flying in campaign will not test the xdps which I have submitted above for download.

I DL'd the intermediate DM as I thought you guys deserved to have ALL your work tried out. I'm still tsting it out in QC but I have to say I take back my reservations. Really good work. My opponents don't seem to suffer undue damage until a critical point at which something significant happens, loss of part of a wing, explosion of fuel, heavy smoke etc. The visual clue that they've 'had enough' is very useful and feels realistic, even though it doesn't conform to the combat accounts I've read (although McCudden's reports quote similar damage effects from time to time). It certainly provides the 'visceral thrill' I felt was absent, i.e. I can shout "Gotcha!" with confidence (much to my wife's annoyance!).

Now, I'm assuming the Intermediate DM is Herr Prop-Wasche's? So I'm seeing less FX than I would with Fortiesboy's?

Anyway, I'll carry on playing for a while then I'll definitely try the Hardcore DM again but with TVs lowered in the above .XDPs. Looking forward to it.

Great job guys, keep it up.

Now, I'm assuming the Intermediate DM is Herr Prop-Wasche's?

Correct.

So I'm seeing less FX than I would with Fortiesboy's?

Not necessarily, but most likely. My latest xdp files, which have been re- worked, are for the hardcore DM, because i am taken with the ability in that DM for the player's plane to be clobbered but still able to land out or even fight on.

My effects may seem too much if the sim is played other than "full real" and against Rookie AI.

It is also my belief that the the xdps would work also in the Normal DM or Prop Wasches DM, because essentially they only alter the threshold values- Prop wasches Intermediate DM changes the Damage boxes, and the threshold values.

FB, check the Camel seems to have a l_wing @ 40 threshold, r_wing still 100.

BTW CFS3 doesn't like doing too many effects at the same time in the Alb you have 8 kabooms all going off at the break point. Not sure what the consequence is but was always understood it's a bad idea generally.

My effects may seem too much if the sim is played other than "full real" and against Rookie AI.

[/b][/i]

Really? Hadn't picked up on the 'Rookie AI' bit. I've been playing full real (well, 110%, auto-mixture on) against aces and seen the effects I noted above, which, I reiterate, 'feel' realistic. The only downside I've noticed is that I sometimes get a huge explosion and no subsequent flamer... which has echoes of a discussion way back in the day before the devs did a load of work on the DMs to produce the Hardcore and Normal.

Brief update on my damage model work: I have finished testing the DM of approximately half of the planes and am mostly satisfied with the results. Once I finish testing the other half I will be ready to upload a zip file for use in QC. I also plan to send a copy of my work to OBD for testing. Most of my work has been with the threshold values of the xdp files, although I have made a few tweaks to the damage points of some of the planes, as well.

I do have a favor to ask of the Spad drivers. Two of the planes I have made a few damage points mods to are the Spad VII and XIII. Although I can fly against AI Spads, I cannot fly the beasties very well myself. No matter how I try, I always wind up stalling. This makes it very hard to test how they fare against AI pilots damage wise. This is important, as I have upped the wing points slightly to make the Spads a tiny bit tougher than they are at present. I have seen good results with the AI Spads, but I get shot up too easily to make a fair analysis of how they do against the AI. If anyone can help me out by downloading the following two Spad xdp files and flying both with and against them and reporting back, I would appreciate it.

Rename the files from .txt to .xdp and install in the respective Spad folder inside the aircraft folder in order to use. Make sure to back up your original Spad VII and XIII xdp files first!

FB, check the Camel seems to have a l_wing @ 40 threshold, r_wing still 100.

BTW CFS3 doesn't like doing too many effects at the same time in the Alb you have 8 kabooms all going off at the break point. Not sure what the consequence is but was always understood it's a bad idea generally.

Pol S!

sorry for late reply - I've been away for a few days. In changing the TVs, I haven't necessarily used symmetrical values on all planes, so some wings may be more vulnerable than others. I was trying to

make it so that not all planes reacted the same -lol

I note what you say about too many effects at the same time, but my thinking was/is like this.

In RL a burst of bullets would hit the plane, say, and cause an effect- fire in engine. In RL the fire would progress and then cause more damage and then likely an explosion. Those things would happen, in turn, as a result of the fire "progressing", without any more bullet hits , yes?

However, in computer terms, if the fire effect happens at say 45, and the explosion and "break" effect is set at 100, then the computer will not activate the effect which is set at 100, unless and until some more bullets make more hits, enough hits, to register that 100 level?

So, IMHO, I've made the last few TV effects in a component all with the same value, so they all happen together-

It would be strange, would it not, to have a wingbreaking sound effect come in without also a visual effect of a wing breaking? ( which the computer would cause to happen if the threshold value of the former was lower than the threshold value of the latter?)

In RL, they happen together- :biggrin:

cheers