Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Paul Klee painted German warbirds

The "Deutsches Museum" (German Museum) in Munich has an exhibition until September,

in which they compare painting from Paul Klee with camouflage and markings of German

war aircraft. It seems, they found a lot of Klee's art after WW1 was directly inspired by

his service time in Schleissheim, where he had to do paint jobs on warcraft.

The airframe in the picture is a freshly painted craft, loaded on a train for it's transport

to the front service.

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http...sa%3DN%26um%3D1

So, all skinners are in good company of a famous artist - who sais, skinning wasn't art?

Edited by Olham

...a lot of Klee's art after WW1 was directly inspired by

In my opinion, it was his best work.

I would like to know who was flying that albatros dv? Then it might possible to add in the game.

The "Deutsches Museum" (German Museum) in Munich has an exhibition until September,

in which they compare painting from Paul Klee with camouflage and markings of German

war aircraft. It seems, they found a lot of Klee's art after WW1 was directly inspired by

The airframe in the picture is a freshly painted craft, loaded on a train for it's transport

to the front service.

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http...sa%3DN%26um%3D1

So, all skinners are in good company of a famous artist - who sais, skinning wasn't art?

Hmmm... if Klee was painting stylised bavarian lions on things I wonder if he had any input to either of these? (Profiles courtesy of Wings Palette)

Hmmm... if Klee was painting stylised bavarian lions on things I wonder....

But...was he painting lions, and such? I always assumed those were done out at the squadrons/Jasta, not at the factory. Do we know if he was doing specialty paint schemes, or just applying a standard-issue, by-the-book paint job?

I have only overflown the text, as it was rather long, but I think he only did the "factory default"

things. One of his diary text said: "Overpainted numbers; stenciled new ones."

but that craft on the photo is delivered to the front with a painting on it, and in such (rather rare)

cases, he might well be the artist.

I assume, that in those days, monitary assistance came from regional dukes, or industrial barons;

like this: "Mein Kaiser - let me make my contribution to this war, by making the Empire a present

of 20 Albatros fighters, from my own private whealth, to help to win the war!"

Now, if we assume, the son of some duke enters some Jasta, and his dad "sponsored" his craft

anyway, he might have had the right connections to get his craft pre-painted already in the factory.

I hope, OvS and Paarma correct me, if they know, it wasn't possible?

Edited by Olham

But...was he painting lions, and such? I always assumed those were done out at the squadrons/Jasta, not at the factory. Do we know if he was doing specialty paint schemes, or just applying a standard-issue, by-the-book paint job?

Well, the article says (I think - blame my bad German) that he was doing the camouflage on the wings. But it also says that he had to paint a bavarian lion on the company photo album at his commander's behest and that word was out that he was an artist... so I speculated :biggrin:

Edited by Dej