Sign in to follow this  
Fortiesboy

Just had my first Multiplay- GREEEEAAAT!

Last night i had my first experience of multiplay head to head since EAW.

UK Widowmaker led me through the setting up and we had a couple of sessions of one on one.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant - No stutters or slow FPS at all.

The only thing I noticed was that he was shooting me when it looked to me as if he was facing well to one side of me. IOW, it looked as if he was firing at 10 o'clock and hitting me at 1 o'clock.

From his perspective, he had me in his sights.

Is this caused by lag? Does it make any difference if you change settings in workshop re bullet spread for example - or if we play the hardcore damage ? - We were on Normal 1.30c

But this a a minor thing compared to the fun and enjoyment I had. I loved it and hope to do some more.

Thanks again, Widowmaker and the Devs.

Was a pleasure m8!..... Just wish you hadn't been so damned good!...you little German Fiend!!

Last night i had my first experience of multiplay head to head since EAW.

UK Widowmaker led me through the setting up and we had a couple of sessions of one on one.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant - No stutters or slow FPS at all.

The only thing I noticed was that he was shooting me when it looked to me as if he was facing well to one side of me. IOW, it looked as if he was firing at 10 o'clock and hitting me at 1 o'clock.

From his perspective, he had me in his sights.

Is this caused by lag? Does it make any difference if you change settings in workshop re bullet spread for example - or if we play the hardcore damage ? - We were on Normal 1.30c

But this a a minor thing compared to the fun and enjoyment I had. I loved it and hope to do some more.

Thanks again, Widowmaker and the Devs.

Glad you enjoyed it! :) MP is a lot of fun. I've gone 'up' with the Boys a few times already and it was fun everytime.

Yes, lag will cause strange things to happen. Especially if the hosting PC has conx issues.

OvS

Yeah...Might try it with you hosting next time FB...See if cable is better than ADSL

I have found that even with cable as long as you use the dogfight or team dogfight feature of OFF MP there will still be some stutter and lag. Planes will also act somewhat erratic. You will see someone in front of you yet they shoot you from behind, planes will look like they are flying backwards things like that. The weird thing is hosted missions seem to run better, less lag and good FPS. Don't know! I believe Madmatt is looking into it.

I have found that even with cable as long as you use the dogfight or team dogfight feature of OFF MP there will still be some stutter and lag. Planes will also act somewhat erratic. You will see someone in front of you yet they shoot you from behind, planes will look like they are flying backwards things like that. The weird thing is hosted missions seem to run better, less lag and good FPS. Don't know! I believe Madmatt is looking into it.

That's interesting to know Ax!... Missions are the eventual way forwards I guess...but it's flying against the AI that puts me off somewhat....Whilst I can see the enjoyment to be had flying co-op... It's still nice to blow your friends to smitherines!! :biggrin::good:

That's interesting to know Ax!... Missions are the eventual way forwards I guess...but it's flying against the AI that puts me off somewhat....Whilst I can see the enjoyment to be had flying co-op... It's still nice to blow your friends to smitherines!! :biggrin::good:

I am working on that aspect of the MP experience right now. I have been tinkering with MP team dogfight/co-op missions with multiple underlying mission goals.

I am working on that aspect of the MP experience right now. I have been tinkering with MP team dogfight/co-op missions with multiple underlying mission goals.

You clever chap!... Looking forward to your results! :good:

Eric had some suggestions as too how to improve mp.

The one that we have the most control over is his recommndation that fps in mp is capped. We should try and determine to what extent that impacts game play, and if we observe a noticable change, consider asking madmat to add the editing of that file to his installer.

Naturally one of the other considerations for good mp game play is everyones connection, but personally, would hate to see it get to the point where we are weeding out pilots cause they do not have access to a super fast connection speed.

Eric had some suggestions as too how to improve mp.

The one that we have the most control over is his recommndation that fps in mp is capped. We should try and determine to what extent that impacts game play, and if we observe a noticable change, consider asking madmat to add the editing of that file to his installer.

Naturally one of the other considerations for good mp game play is everyones connection, but personally, would hate to see it get to the point where we are weeding out pilots cause they do not have access to a super fast connection speed.

Surely, most have a decent speed these days don't they?..I mean 2mb and over?...I know the UK does

Surely, most have a decent speed these days don't they?..I mean 2mb and over?...I know the UK does

While most of us have good/great connection speeds, the speeds of our relative gaming systems could vary a good deal and its theorized that a big discrepancy in this could cause the latency that causes the *warping* that we commonly see in Player Vs. Player Dogfights (and to a much more minor degree in MP Missions). By capping everyone that connects upper framerate to one level (perhaps 30-45 FPS), we *may* be able to stabalize things more.

This is still just a theory, but it does have some merit.

What's still a mystery is why a pure Dogfight session (with player respawning) will often cause this slight warping, yet we can play a Multiplayer *mission* where many people are flying different planes on both sides (and dogfighting each other like crazy) and the warping is much more rare.

This is just one of idiosyncracies we have to accept until such time (if?) more attention can be put forward with the CFS3 MP code. OFF is primarily a single player mod to CFS3, but myself and others are working hard to make the MP aspect of OFF more feature rich and enjoyable.

As Ax has said, he is working on more detailed and complex Missions for us to host and play in, as am I. In fact, I am currently "re-envisioning" several current MP favorites like the Ballon Buster's Mission. I am reworking the flightplans, plane types, making sure the fronts are historically accurate and that the enemy Ballons actually LOOK like German ballons instead of British ones and more. I hope to have this new version ready by the weekend.

In addition to this work, I and a few others have also been doing work on a way to host campaign missions for MP sessions. While the features of this are still somewhat undisclosed (I have lots more testing yet to do), I have made progress into a way to have one person virtually *Host* a campaign, and have other people fly the individual missions along with him! It's far from perfect right now, and it's not the same as playing through the campaign in single player mode (no tracking of pilots/kills or mission results is *yet* possible), but it still results in more complex and historically accurate MP missions than ever thought possible.

Rest assured, there is a LOT of work going on behind the scenes by some very commited and hard working people that are simply huge fans of this game.

And this is all separate from anything OBD might be doing *officially* with their future plans for Phase 4 and we can only imagine what sort of goodies they may be planning!

This is a thrilling time for MP in OFF and I am very excited to be part of it in my own little way.

Madmatt

Edited by Madmatt

As Ax has said, he is working on more detailed and complex Missions for us to host and play in, as am I. In fact, I am currently "re-envisioning" several current MP favorites like the Ballon Buster's Mission. I am reworking the flightplans, plane types, making sure the fronts are historically accurate and that the enemy Ballons actually LOOK like German ballons instead of British ones and more. I hope to have this new version ready by the weekend.

In addition to this work, I and a few others have also been doing work on a way to host campaign missions for MP sessions. While the features of this are still somewhat undisclosed (I have lots more testing yet to do), I have made progress into a way to have one person virtually *Host* a campaign, and have other people fly the individual missions along with him! It's far from perfect right now, and it's not the same as playing through the campaign in single player mode (no tracking of pilots/kills or mission results is *yet* possible), but it still results in more complex and historically accurate MP missions than ever thought possible.

Rest assured, there is a LOT of work going on behind the scenes by some very commited and hard working people that are simply huge fans of this game.

And this is all separate from anything OBD might be doing *officially* with their future plans for Phase 4 and we can only imagine what sort of goodies they may be planning!

This is a thrilling time for MP in OFF and I am very excited to be part of it in my own little way.

Madmatt

It is thrilling for us to know there are fellows like all of you out there that are trying your best to make MP a great experience. I know I love my experiences from flying online in FSX. This is going to be triple the excitement. A good way to meet and make friends from all corners of the earth. It is much appreciated fellows. If I knew of any way to that I could help, I would let you know. I am not very "swift" in these departments.

Yes...Great stuff guys!...what a talented bunch of ppl we have on this Forum!