Sign in to follow this  
Check Six

Help with target padlock toggle

I'm not able to toggle my "padlock target" view, and I'm having trouble understanding what is (or isn't) happening. I generally fly around enjoying the view either in chase mode or in the cockpit looking over the sides etc with TrackIR5 (seriously...get one! your enjoyment of this sim will vastly increase). As an enemy enters the general area and a target appears on the TAC, I select him (or one of them) with TAB key. Then I hit F4 a few times until I'm looking at my target, which I assume gives you his orientation in relation to you (higher, lower, moving away etc) and also tells you how you should approach it (underneath for a two-seater or overhead for a fighter).

If I decide he looks innocent enough and I'm looking for a fight, I'll move towards him. Having read Mark's great Key Command Chart (thanks Homeboy) - (and I've still got my original CFS3 key command chart too), it tells me to hit the Accent "`" key (the one to the left of the "1" key). I'm assuming this is just the accent key, and NOT the Tilde key (which is the Shift function of that key.

I hoped this would show my aircraft oriented towards the target so I knew which direction to fly (left or right, up or down etc) and then switch back to virtual cockpit with TrackIR for close-in combat. (I MUST say, I've never been able to fight better or as effectively in any flight sim until I got the TrackIR - it really helps a GREAT deal to be able to fly whilst looking directly at your target, not where your Situational Awareness tells you he MIGHT be. Did I mention before to GET IT? Oh, yes, I did).

What am I doing wrong? Should I select my target with TAB Key, then SHIFT+Key next to "1" (Tilde) or TAB then key next to "1" (Accent). Do I need to be in the cockpit view to select the "Padlock View"?

:dntknw:

I've not used the "target cone" ("I") command yet. Do you de-select it (toggle) by hitting the "I" key again?

I need help on these as I've got two days off and plan to fine-tune OFF and program some key commands to my joystick (and later when I get my programmable keyboard, some keys there too - but that entails taking your eyes off the target).

PS Took delivery of my Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals today...first time ever flying with rudder pedals (found twisting the stick when in combat to be painful on my wrists - that'll larn me for riding a motorcycle - or more correctly, for NOT riding my motorcycle - after being assisted off by some inconsiderate @#$#^$& car/truck driver). Wish me luck with that.

Any help would be gratefully accepted. How do YOU go about prosecuting an attack on your hapless foe?

Edited by Steve Drew

UncleAl,

I understand where you're coming from. Hopefully one day I will also be flying with 100% realism. I'm learning. I only got the sim a little over a week ago. Once I learn to scan the skies like a pro, and to scoff at Archie and the like, I can GRADUALLY make it as realistic as I can, by getting a FF joystick and not rely on my F-18 joystick (Saitek X-52 FCS).

Once I learn how to fly and fight properly, rest assured I will remove these historically incorrect "assistances", but I need them now. I'm fine-tuning my game, getting the settings the way I like them. I'm sorry if I don't adopt the DID mentality yet. I might one day. Now, I'm just a greenie.

I have lost many pilots already in my first week due to ignorance, warping into clouds, mid-air collisions etc. I just want to get a feel for it first, then I might become as good as you guys. I just need more than a week.

Oh, and I didn't use the word "immersion" at all, whether in the same sentence as "Padlocking" or otherwise. :dntknw:

Can anyone help me with the answers?

Here is my take on historical accuracy, immersion, and the mythical 100% accuracy goal of all flight simulation games. If I could afford and buy TrackIR I'd use it probably religiously. I have listened and read of some oficionados who spurn the padlock option as if it were some sort of cheat. Let me remind you that you're sitting in front of a monitor and can't feel movement, inertia, or see the sky above and earth below. You probably don't have the sight advantage of some of the better fighter pilots. To compensate for some of these disadvantages there was the padlock view given to you. Which is what pilots would do with an adversary or target. Hence the term of target fixation that can be a tactical death sentence when you've lost all situational awareness and the other guy gets you. You padlock your head to your target while your body remains straped in as part of your aircraft. Your aircraft is then an extension of your body while your mark one eyeballs track potential targets and threats around you. The padlock helps accomplish this action while you sit limited to the tunnel vision of a 19 inch or so screen. If you want total immersion and 100% historical accuracy then you'd better go buy your own plane or go back in time to become an actual pilot. That's my own take on the padlock. I accept those aficionados who spur it for themselves because it spoils their immersion factor and quest for 100% historical accuracy in their gaming experience. But when you start bad mouthing my padlocked view like it's some kind of cheat you've crossed that line into sounding like you've entered the fanatic realm of an elitist gamer.[sarcasm] And I'll only retract that last comment when someone buys me a TrackIR or any set of high definition virtual goggles.

UncleAl,

I understand where you're coming from. Hopefully one day I will also be flying with 100% realism. I'm learning. I only got the sim a little over a week ago. Once I learn to scan the skies like a pro, and to scoff at Archie and the like, I can GRADUALLY make it as realistic as I can, by getting a FF joystick and not rely on my F-18 joystick (Saitek X-52 FCS).

Once I learn how to fly and fight properly, rest assured I will remove these historically incorrect "assistances", but I need them now. I'm fine-tuning my game, getting the settings the way I like them. I'm sorry if I don't adopt the DID mentality yet. I might one day. Now, I'm just a greenie.

I have lost many pilots already in my first week due to ignorance, warping into clouds, mid-air collisions etc. I just want to get a feel for it first, then I might become as good as you guys. I just need more than a week.

Oh, and I didn't use the word "immersion" at all, whether in the same sentence as "Padlocking" or otherwise. :dntknw:

Can anyone help me with the answers?

To me, the CFS3/OFF padlock is a real kludge as it’s not easy to use or at all natural with that green cone. I suggest you not get into the habit of using padlock as “bad” habits are hard to break.

Much better for me is a method that has been outlined here by others:

- Map the tack screen/icon type and label keys to the stick.

- Use the tac screen as an aid to navigation and to alert you to the presence of bogies

- Once bogies appear switch tac screen off and labels on

This method compensates for the lack of terrain features to navigate by and for my lack of eyesie in being able to spot those little dots.

hi,,,

sound like you have everything right, and thanks for clearing up the tilde/accent key thing,,i always called it tilde..

If you have something "targeted" on your tac (its yellow), and you are in cockpit view..or vc view, and hit the accent key, then your eyes should stay on that target no matter where you turn. It will not work if you are in any of the "external views", and there is a good chance it wont work if you have track ir ON....only reason i say this is cause i know my hat switch for panning views does not work when my track ir is on...but since i got my track ir, i stopped using the accent key.

and yes,,I key will toggle targeting cone unless you have disabled the targeting cone in your cfs3config file...(overides section)

sitting_duck,

Thanks for simply answering the questions I had without going into some tirade about how those who use such devices are cheats and just not playing cricket.

Like I said, I only just got this sim and once I'm more confident I can remove the "cheats" one by one.

Barkhorn1x, I understand about the learning of bad habits, and I know I have the best tool already...the TrackIR is really the best "padlock" you can get. I just thought I'd take a quick look at padlock and how it looks, what I can learn from it etc.

Roopod, beg, borrow, steal...go hungry for a week, sell a kidney. Whatever it takes, get TrackIR. You will love it and swear by it.

sitting_duck,

Thanks for simply answering the questions I had without going into some tirade about how those who use such devices are cheats and just not playing cricket.

Like I said, I only just got this sim and once I'm more confident I can remove the "cheats" one by one.

Barkhorn1x, I understand about the learning of bad habits, and I know I have the best tool already...the TrackIR is really the best "padlock" you can get. I just thought I'd take a quick look at padlock and how it looks, what I can learn from it etc.

Roopod, beg, borrow, steal...go hungry for a week, sell a kidney. Whatever it takes, get TrackIR. You will love it and swear by it.

Padlock view is not a cheat. I fly and can tell you now that you move your head all the time and as you fly you fix your view on something. Enjoy the game and play it how you want, there will always be people who 'know' better. :good:

My Track IR4 just arrived today and I will install tonight. Oh boy :good:

This game is getting expensive - first I had to buy CSF3 which was not much, then OFF, then I redid my whole pooter (which needed doing anyway so that is free), bought another joystick as my last 1994 version required a game port. And now I realise my old 14" CRT monitor is not good enough - the only reason I am keeping it is because it works and was wonderful in its day which was in 1989 - there is a local importer of TrackIr and it is pretty pricey, but maybe I should bite the bullet and go there along with an LCD monitor.

I can justify the monitor, at least.....

Heres a little trick I use sometimes if I'm having trouble visually aquiring a target and I have wingmen with me, I hit the "A" key and follow them :blush2:

Here is my take on historical accuracy, immersion, and the mythical 100% accuracy goal of all flight simulation games. If I could afford and buy TrackIR I'd use it probably religiously. I have listened and read of some oficionados who spurn the padlock option as if it were some sort of cheat. Let me remind you that you're sitting in front of a monitor and can't feel movement, inertia, or see the sky above and earth below. You probably don't have the sight advantage of some of the better fighter pilots. To compensate for some of these disadvantages there was the padlock view given to you. Which is what pilots would do with an adversary or target. Hence the term of target fixation that can be a tactical death sentence when you've lost all situational awareness and the other guy gets you. You padlock your head to your target while your body remains straped in as part of your aircraft. Your aircraft is then an extension of your body while your mark one eyeballs track potential targets and threats around you. The padlock helps accomplish this action while you sit limited to the tunnel vision of a 19 inch or so screen. If you want total immersion and 100% historical accuracy then you'd better go buy your own plane or go back in time to become an actual pilot. That's my own take on the padlock. I accept those aficionados who spur it for themselves because it spoils their immersion factor and quest for 100% historical accuracy in their gaming experience. But when you start bad mouthing my padlocked view like it's some kind of cheat you've crossed that line into sounding like you've entered the fanatic realm of an elitist gamer.[sarcasm] And I'll only retract that last comment when someone buys me a TrackIR or any set of high definition virtual goggles.

Roopod I understand where your coming from, been playing sims for years but never invested in TackIR, as a single parent raising two kids I have to watch the budget also. I just didn't see TrackIR as something as a gotta have (like a good HOTAS joystick or a good GPU/memory/CPU) for playing flight simulators. Padlock view seemed to suit me just fine, so why shell out more hard earned cash for a frill. About two weeks ago I ran across someone selling an like new TrackIr 3 Pro, the price was right $45.00 shipped, so I said why not. I can honestly say not getting TrackIR for so long had to be one of the dumbest choices I have ever made. IMHO now it is a must have if you really want to get the most out of your games just like a good HOTAS joysick and GPU/memory/CPU. I'm saving my pennies right now and hope to have a TrackIR 5 in 2-3 months and when I do get that TRackIR 5 your more then welcome to my TrackIR 3 Pro if you haven't made the leap by then.

, it tells me to hit the Accent "`" key (the one to the left of the "1" key). I'm assuming this is just the accent key, and NOT the Tilde key (which is the Shift function of that key.

Do you mean you want to toggle the view, from targetted enemy --> you, to you-->enemy?

Press

CTRL+SHIFT+F4 again whilst in one of the above two views and it will toggle between the two.

You can bind this to a joystick button from Esc, in game, controls, but you must save as "Mine".

Do you mean you want to toggle the view, from targetted enemy --> you, to you-->enemy?

Press

CTRL+SHIFT+F4 again whilst in one of the above two views and it will toggle between the two.

You can bind this to a joystick button from Esc, in game, controls, but you must save as "Mine".

Polovski,

I simply wasn't "in" the cockpit, and now I understand what a "padlock" view is, and what it does. I had a QC in padlock mode last night. I also ploughed into the ground due to target fixation. Like I said earlier, I do have TrackIR5 and that is undoubtedly the way to go once you have visual contact and are close enough to jockey for position, whether or not you achieve this by "cheating" by using the TAC.

I have installed my new rudder pedals (Saitek Pro Flight), and they worked straight off the bat without any need to adjust and save as "mine" and I've mapped several buttons on my joystick (Saitek X-52 FCS) to "necessary" functions, so that I can keep my eye on the target and not have to look down.

(waits for the inevitable tirade from the "you can't use that stick to fly a biplane" brigade)

Barkhorn1x,

So now I fully understand your feelings about the padlock, like I said above, I CFIT (Controlled Flight Into Terrain) because I was target fixated. Don't think I'll be using it too much (certainly not under 5000 ft). Good luck with your TrackIR. You'll LOVE it!

von vaun,

I know padlock isn't a cheat, but the "immersion" brigade here believe it to be so.

I can just picture them...in their loungerooms or whereever sitting in fug boots and full sidcot, leather helmet and goggles, sidearm strapped to their waist, and probably strut around the house with a swagger stick under their arms, telling their pets to "suck that gut in, shoulders straight".

:wink:

Edited by Steve Drew

Well, my IR4 arrived !! Installed easily – no issues. Lighting in room was easily sorted as well.

I d/l’d the AHII profile from HomeBoys’ site – flew a couple of test QCs and was quickly overwhelmed by the overly responsive head movements – what the???

Then I fiddled with the profile axis software – very intuitive - and quickly tuned down settings for each axis to be more in line with my head movement comfort zone.

So far, so good and I am impressed with how "natural" the experience is as opposed to a hat switch. But I do need a lot more practice to get used to this gadget.

Well, my IR4 arrived !! Installed easily – no issues. Lighting in room was easily sorted as well.

I d/l'd the AHII profile from HomeBoys' site – flew a couple of test QCs and was quickly overwhelmed by the overly responsive head movements – what the???

Then I fiddled with the profile axis software – very intuitive - and quickly tuned down settings for each axis to be more in line with my head movement comfort zone.

So far, so good and I am impressed with how "natural" the experience is as opposed to a hat switch. But I do need a lot more practice to get used to this gadget.

Barkhorn1x,

Homeboy's profile is a good starting point, but has to be adjusted to suit your own tastes and distance from the monitor, lighting, etc. I went back and loaded RB3D to practice at first...made TIR4 a lot easier to get used to with less background detail.

I also switched padlock on and off until I got used to the TIR4...not because of the unbearable shame of letting my fellow forum members down by cheating, but found that I didn't need the padlock after a few weeks.

Cheers

Personal Opinion: The Pilots of 1917 Never had Padlocking, nor the luminecent green targeting cone. We use Trackir because it gives us the pilots vison. The printed part of the HUD features the Only ammo counter there is, and an extremely accurate digital fuel gauge, so we're not suprized buy a minor fuel leak, draining our fuel tank. Which I feel justified in it's use, because the WW1 pilot could Smell a leak, we can't.

How the word Immersion can be used in the same sentence with Padlocking, I'll never figure out

The next logical progression is "where is the coin slot?"

What a snob. If your idea of contributing to the forum is telling people how much superior you are to newbs, find another forum, ok?

Actually, I'm thinking more in the line of virtual reality goggles. Like this... Anybody ever try something like those?