How do you go about getting SAMs to show up on a map?

Looking though the terrain targets INI I see entries for the following:

SAMRadar

SAMLauncher

AAA

I don't see any entries for mobile SAM systems? Is there a target type that I can add so that SAMs defined as "MOBILE_SAM" will be randomly placed, or do I need to change them to "MOBILE_AAA" or "STATIC_AAA"?

Thanks!

Mobile SAMs have to be defined as AAA(either MOBILE_AAA or STATIC_AAA)

As for statics they have to be positioned around the radar(like the SA-2's or HAWK's).

Keep abreast of how things are depicted in target types ini as well...a lot of times their being named differently from the target.ini or the actual object.ini is the reason for their non-appearance.

Here is a template I use for my SAM sites. This SAM site has one SAM radar with 8 launchers and 4 AA pieces protecting it in one tight group. This entry goes into the terrain_targets.ini file

[TargetArea001]

Name=SAM Site

RandomChance=100

Position=185300.000,229000.000

Alignment=Enemy

Radius=7000

ActiveYear=0

Target[001].Type=SAMRadar

Target[001].Offset=0.0,0.0

Target[001].Heading=000

Target[001].ActiveYear=

Target[002].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[002].Offset=000,100

Target[002].Heading=000

Target[002].ActiveYear=

Target[003].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[003].Offset=000,-100

Target[003].Heading=180

Target[003].ActiveYear=

Target[004].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[004].Offset=075,075

Target[004].Heading=045

Target[004].ActiveYear=

Target[005].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[005].Offset=075,-075

Target[005].Heading=135

Target[005].ActiveYear=

Target[006].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[006].Offset=-075,075

Target[006].Heading=315

Target[006].ActiveYear=

Target[007].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[007].Offset=-075,-075

Target[007].Heading=225

Target[007].ActiveYear=

Target[008].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[008].Offset=100,000

Target[008].Heading=090

Target[008].ActiveYear=

Target[009].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[009].Offset=-100,000

Target[009].Heading=270

Target[009].ActiveYear=

Target[010].Type=AAA

Target[010].Offset=-050,000

Target[010].Heading=315

Target[011].Type=AAA

Target[011].Offset=050,000

Target[011].Heading=045

Target[012].Type=AAA

Target[012].Offset=000,050

Target[012].Heading=315

Target[013].Type=AAA

Target[013].Offset=-000,-050

Target[013].Heading=045

You can add more SAM sites by just copying a new listing and calling it [TargetArea002] Or whatever is next in the list. If you add a bunch of sites you can change the RandomChance=100 to something less, that way it introduces some randomness in the terrain so the sites aren't always there from mision to mission, but start to appear random. Such as placing 10 SAM sites with RandomChance=50 will theoritically allow 5 sites to appear during any one mission. But the math doesn't necessarily work out that way cause you can get 7 sites in a mission or just two. That math work our more like 50% + 50% + 50% + 50% + 50% + 50% + 50% + 50% + 50% + 50% which if you took statistics means you stand a good chance of NOT getting 50% as a total. The command line for Position=185300.000,229000.000 is the critical entry in that it MUST be where you want it on the map. Once you get that position placed, all the others follow in their Offset figures. It's really quite easy if you just copy and paste and fly the mission to make sure it's where you want it and that takes some trial and error.

That's great guys, thank you both!

You can also place a specific type of SAM on the map provided you have defined it in the terrain_TYPES.INI, e.g:

Put this type of entry in your terrain_TYPES.INI:

[TargetType142]

Name=ZSU-57 <---- this defines the callout in the terrain_TARGETS.INI

FullName=ZSU-57-2 AAA <---- This defines the name that appears in-game

TargetType=MOBILE_AAA

UseGroundObject=TRUE <----- setting this to true tells the game you want to call an object from the groundobject folder

GroundObjectType=ZSU-57 <--- This specifies the type of object you want to call out

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=30

RepairRate=0.555

StartDetectChance=20

StartIdentifiedChance=0

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=8000.0

DestroyedEffect=SmallRocketGroundExplosion

SecondaryEffect=VehicleFireEffect

SecondaryChance=100

Then, to place it on your map, add an entry like this in the terrain_TARGETS.INI:

[TargetArea032]

Name=Coyote Advance Supply Dump

Position=215081,313664

Radius=2000.000

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

Alignment=ENEMY

Target[001].Type=ZSU-57

Target[001].Offset=-415,-530

Target[001].Heading=270

The above will place a ZSU-57 at Coyote Advance Supply Dump, at the offset point taken from the absolute map co-ords defined at the Position= entry.

Wrench has done a stack of work in defining all sorts of groundobjects in various terrain_types.inis, including the one above taken from his ANW 4 seasons upgrade.

That way, you can call out a specific type of sam, radar, tank, ship, flag, gin-joint or whatever you want onto your map. Just define the object in your types.ini first and you are good to go.

Edited by Baltika

Yes, the way Baltika explained, allows you to put certain SAM batteries in historically correct spots. Interestingly sometimes in the game, you will have less launchers than you defined. Example you had put 4 Hawk launchers but only 2 show. I know it depends on the Enemy Air Defense setting but I have it set to High always and still this dissappearing happens.. I recall it being discussed here before.

Thanks to all of your info I was able to get the SA-3, SA-9 and SA-11 working correctly for NF4+. I had to create Flat Face and Tube Arm radars for the SA-3 and SA-11, and set the SA-9 as MOBILE_AAA. Now there are quite a few SA-9 scattered around in addition to the newer SAMs. This ads an element of difficulty because if you go low to avoid the big SAMs, you'll be down in the kill zone for the SA-9 which is infrared (and optically sighted) and thus invisible to your RWR!

Don, just take a peak into any of the targets/types inis for some of my 'modernish' (SoCal, ASW, Libya) terrain mods. All will be answered.

and, I've got target area listing for all kinds of interesting stuff... just simple copy/paste with the addition of the map coordinates, and there you go.

General Rule of Thumb:

if you want a specific TYPE of object to show, it must be listed in the types ini, and placed via the targets ini

actually, it's pretty easy

wrench

kevin stein

Don, just take a peak into any of the targets/types inis for some of my 'modernish' (SoCal, ASW, Libya) terrain mods. All will be answered.

and, I've got target area listing for all kinds of interesting stuff... just simple copy/paste with the addition of the map coordinates, and there you go.

General Rule of Thumb:

if you want a specific TYPE of object to show, it must be listed in the types ini, and placed via the targets ini

actually, it's pretty easy

wrench

kevin stein

Rgr that. The only tough part was figuring out that I needed to set up a SAM radar as part of the same network as the launchers. Once I modded the Straight Flush into the Flat Face and Tube Arm things started coming together...

One funny thing...I wish I had taken a screenshot, but since the SA-3 launcher was called "SA-3" and the missiles themselves were also called "SA-3" the launcher would show up in the game with four copies of itself loaded in place of the missiles!

But I think for the purposes of NF4+ I will let the game place the SAMs randomly and not assign any specific ones.

Thanks again to everyone who shared the infos!