Sign in to follow this  
WarrenG

Wings Over Israel - How to bomb manually?

Hello all,

I'm just starting out in the game, flying in the 6 Day War campaign, in the Mirage III. Quite a few ground attack missions. Does anyone have a good technique they could share on how to manually bomb? I couldn't really find anything in the manual, and maybe i'm just not good at combat flight sims, but i don't see anything in the cockpit that serves as some sort of manual sight/guide mechanism. Looking over all the keyboard assignments, i don't see anything there either. I'm basically flying over the target and releasing the selected bomb at what i think is the right time based on my airspeed and altitude. I hit the target about 10 - 20% of the time. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Warren from Vancouver

Welcome Warren!

Ground pounding the old way is the best part in this game. It's hard and dangerous, you'll get the hang of it in time. There are certain parameters you must follow when dropping an iron bomb, your speed, dive angle, pickle height. I'm not an expert, so I'll let others chime in for advice.

Here's a few pointers:

The Bombing Range, great addon terrain from Wrench, comes with a complete manual on bombing!

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=6164

Weapon delivery techniques, simhq:

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_055a.html

Also search this forum for manual bombing, lots of interesting threads to be found.

watch out for the guns :wink:

PRACTICE, PRACTICE and more PRACTICE!!! :biggrin: There is no easy way to get good at it. :good:

Edited by Viper6

Actully, Deuces did The Range (and Red Range) Terrains. I just did some 'target enhancements'

but, yes, Practice, Practice and Even More Practice. I'm luck my bombs hit the ground half the time....

wrench

kevin stein

When i fly the mirage III i tend to dive bomb a lot. Usually go up to around 5000 agl then dive onto the target and start to pull up at about 1000ft. When the target goes out of view underneath the bottom of the cockpit i release the bombs. Usually get around 70% success rate. If i miss i just send my wingman in then.

Mike

Bombing the hard way is exactly that.. hard! But some basic physics gets you in the right direction, remember that the faster you are travelling, the steeper your dive angle and the closer you are to the target at release, the closer the bombs will fall to the centerline. The bombsight is depressed to 50 mil radians by default, there is a good example attack profile set up for this exact setting in the sim hq article Pureblue posted above. You will miss most of the time, this is normal for you are human and can't be expected to work out all the physics involved in every attack just off the top of your head! Most pilots where never Einsteins or Hawking hence why easier modes of bombing where developed in the first place. However, if you don't have the luxury of pgm's, ccip or some other form of bombing aid, do what they did in real life and drop lots and lots of bombs to make up for inaccuracy! Also, remember that the closer you are, the easier you will be shot down and a downed aircraft and crew most of the time outweighs target destruction, sometimes it is better to miss and send someone else to go do it, or come back yourself another day. In one sense it is frustrating, however it does give you a better sense of what it was really like than to have ccip on every plane like arcade games.

Guest egt2007

I use I good technic in manual bombing: you could get over the target exaxt vertically with a good height then make airbrakes and throttle 50% an get down vertically on the target like the attacks of the german fighters in ww2 it succeds 90% :ok: but dont forget dont to bomb very near while falling you could crash because the bomb,sorry for bad english and i hope you will play the arab side in the campaign because iam egyptian  :salute:  and if you play the israeli side dont strike one of the bombs on my home  :biggrin:  because i've taught you how to do it

Edited by Wrench

Wow... So many replies, in less that 24 hours! This website is awesome. Thanks for everyone's advise. I will check out all these links, and also try some dive-bombing, like those Stukkas (spelling?) from WW2. EGT2007, I'll definately be flying on both sides, if that's an option in the game, as I want to get everyone's perspective. Thanks again, everyone.