Sign in to follow this  
Dej

OT: WW1 Aerodrome Restoration

I could have sworn someone had posted about this but I couldn't find it...

Stow Maries Aerodrome was a WW1 Home Defence aerodrome in 1918, the home of No. 37 Squadron. It's one of the few in the UK to have any original buildings still standing and the only one to have MOST OF THEM!

The guys who are restoring it to it's WW1 condition now have a website up with news, photos, video and more... Click Here

Edited by Dej

What a find!

Question, though: why no white in the rondels? I've seen blue and red, with a thin gold outside rim on Spitfires, but never where the khaki shows through.

I could have sworn someone had posted about this but I couldn't find it...

Stow Maries Aerodrome was a WW1 Home Defence aerodrome in 1918, the home of No. 37 Squadron. It's one of the few in the UK to have any original buildings still standing and the only one to have MOST OF THEM!

The guys who are restoring it to it's WW1 condition now have a website up with news, photos, video and more... Click Here

WOW! That's really impressive... restoring a whole Drome! I'll bet it'll be the pride of the WWI airshows if they can pull it off. :)

What a find!

Question, though: why no white in the rondels? I've seen blue and red, with a thin gold outside rim on Spitfires, but never where the khaki shows through.

I'm guessing, but maybe white would show up too much at night, giving your enemy a target - literally, given they're roundels - to aim at.

Edited by Dej

Awesome! Cheers Shredward, watched it a dozen times back-to-back.

At least I now know my landings are authentic :good::biggrin:

Oh, what a great sound that Camel had! Great video - thanks. Shredward!

Now I hope, Mayrhofer will get his Albatros DIII to fly, too.

But I heard the test running engine - it doesn't sound half as impressive as the Camel's.

Edited by Olham