Sign in to follow this  
GwynO

Advice please!

Righty, well I started PC flight simming with the semi detailed Novalogic MiG-29, followed by Flanker 2.0 which I never really got the hang of. Tried LOMAC but never seemed to run good on my systems and have lost the disc since. I have been playing Thirdwire games for years but am left wanting more switchology and systems management.. so.. can you good people please advise me which is the better between Allied Force and Blackshark. Things I consider most important are realism, ease of use, must have a free view mode to look round the cockpit, but most of all must be able to run without too much jerkiness on a laptop with 1 gig ram, 2 GHz AMD Sempron and a Geforce 8200M G graphics thingy. I might be asking the impossible in terms of system specs but what would you guys advise?

N.B. Please don't make it a bash starforce thread though! I believe that came with LOMAC too and I didn't encounter a single problem with it so for me it's a non issue.

Edited by Kopis n Xiphos

I don't think BS will run very great on your laptop. If you turn down the details it might run ok, but I know it needs more power than LOMAC by a good amount.

F4:AF requires a lot less and will run quite well on that system, but the free look cockpit is comparatively low-detail (and not clickable) compared to the 2D cockpit. Both are about equal in systems modeling detail, although the BS is far harder to simply "fly"...I can take off in the F-16 in my sleep and fly all over the place, with landing only being mildly challenging. The Ka-50 however will likely take more damage on takeoff in your first 5 flights than the enemy could ever do, and landings are like carrier traps while flying backwards. :wink:

As for Starforce, it didn't come with LOMAC but the Flaming Cliffs addon\Lockon Gold a few years later.

What have I done! I left the laptop on all night downloading a fresh purchase of BS after reading the min specs.. however it won't have been the first time I spent money on a game only to have to save it till the next hardware upgrade! Hopefully it will be a bit extra support to the sim industry in the meantime! I will give it a whirl (that wasn't funny was it) but probably will buy AF as well! Glutton for punishment that I am, I think I will enjoy both! Especially the backwards carrier traps, I mean I thought that was the way everybody does them?

I have Falcon Allied Force and have played it since Falcon 3 came out and even now Systems wise it is still extremely difficult to beat as I can fly the jet all day long I can do tough and go's for hours but when it comes to fighting the jet thats where the fun begins (read fun as difficulty) as the Sim replicates the systems on the old F-16 to the nth degree and then some I think its somewhere around 95%. Also it should run a dream on your laptop...

I have Falcon Allied Force and have played it since Falcon 3 came out and even now Systems wise it is still extremely difficult to beat as I can fly the jet all day long I can do tough and go's for hours but when it comes to fighting the jet thats where the fun begins (read fun as difficulty) as the Sim replicates the systems on the old F-16 to the nth degree and then some I think its somewhere around 95%. Also it should run a dream on your laptop...

I'll definitely be scouring the second hand shops! I saw it once in a Game store but didn't buy it, the next day I changed my mind and it was gone! I suppose the ultimate geek credentials of a flight sim is when you can honestly tell your friends that you would probably be able to at least start the plane in real life, take it up and land just from playing the sim, that's the kind of detail I am looking for and it sounds like either of these games may offer a bit of that. I know it's Sad in some respects, but alas I will (probably) never fly a real F-16 or KA-50 so there is always living the dream through simulations! Maybe one day I could run onto the apron of a thirdworld airbase and hotwire a Falcon. I'd bring it straight to CA for you all to have a spin with it too of course :biggrin:

Allied Force if you didnt know is built on Falon 4... so try looking for that as well... its based in Korea instead of the Balkans. I will also take a look through my old stuff see if I have a copy if you want. Can send it to you by post as your practically down the road.

Well, I guess we'll see how well BS does on a machine closer to the minimum specs then! That 8200 is likely the biggest weak point, although to be honest I don't know how a 2GHz Sempron compares with more mainstream CPUs anymore.

Allied Force if you didnt know is built on Falon 4... so try looking for that as well... its based in Korea instead of the Balkans. I will also take a look through my old stuff see if I have a copy if you want. Can send it to you by post as your practically down the road.

Oh nice one mate! If you can that would be ace! So does one need Falcon 4 first and then Allied Force is like an addon onto it is it?

No, AF is everything F4 came with (Korea and F-16) plus a new theater (Balkans), the Euro F-16 MLU, and the addition of 3 eras (2000, 2005, 2010) for both theaters. It's all-in-one.