Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

A little SF2 WW2 project of mine

I know the prop FMs in SF2 arent the best from what Ive gathered. But some planes seem to work just fine like the F4F and AD's A6M2. So I got to making a WW2 Pacific install of SF2. After adding planes and terrain, I realized I wanted to change the look of the game itself so started fooling around with menu screens. So far there are 11 different screens. Im working on the last campaign screens now. I was also going to make a new instantaction ini, some new icons for the planning map, maybe a few single missions, and maybe talk someone into doing a nice campaign for one of the maps. Or maybe ask Batilka if he'd like me to include his Burma campaign with the package. Its turning into quite the little project. I got to thinking maybe people in the community might be interested in this also. If so, tell me what you think. If you have suggestions I like those too.

The menu screens for this pacific package are almost all from the archives dealing with the USS Enterprise CV-6. No other single ship I felt so ably represented the US Navy during that conflict. So its the basis of my screens. More to come...

They are top to bottom, left to right...

main screen, pilot record

planning map, roster

single mission screen

post-66-1245863073_thumb.jpg

post-66-1245863106_thumb.jpg

post-66-1245863197_thumb.jpg

post-66-1245863270_thumb.jpg

post-66-1245863284_thumb.jpg

Edited by pcpilot

Looking Good :good:

I suggest you try this fix for your SF2 Prop FMs:

http://avhistory.org/communityserver/forums/t/694.aspx

That will get most birds at least flying and will do as a placeholder until the AvHistory team come up with a definitive set of WW2 FMs for SF/WOx series.

By all means include Burma campaign file if you wish, although maybe Midway campaign would be more suited to your USS Enterprise theme?

You can use any of the 'original' screens in ANY version of the game, all you need is the ***.ini to go with it (example: the WW2 ETO menu screens in WoE, which were designed for SFP1) Drop everything in the menu folder, and badaboom - they work.

Nice screens too! (btw: wasn't that TBD from YORKTOWN on the Wake raids? -disremember!)

I haven't even figured out HOW to do the "total conversion" yet to the new series, which for me runs at HALF the frame rates of WoE (obviously, all maxed out). For me, WW2 is staying in WoE for the long foreseeable future (although some improved FMs would be welcomed --- hell, I don't even CARE if they're 1% or 10% !!!)

I would reccomend, however, building the screen set for use in BOTH TOS and NextGen variants. This will not limit the end users to just the NextGen series, and allows everyone to use them. Obviously, you'll have to re-save the various inis in ANSI, but that aint nothing

wrench

kevin stein

EDIT: note to self -- in regards to PTO mods, must bug Deuces again on how the Solomons trees update is going....

. For me, WW2 is staying in WoE for the long foreseeable future (although some improved FMs would be welcomed --- hell, I don't even CARE if they're 1% or 10% !!!)

Agreed. I am pretty comfortable with where my WW2 install is. I have most things the way I like them and to change now would be to undo a few months worth of tedious work.

Thanks Batilka, that was the kind of input I was looking for. Thats exactly the problem Ive had with SOME of the flight models; they want to stall too easily and go into flat spins. However some, like the A6m2 AD made and the F4f and quite a few others like the F6F and F8F work fine it seems to me. Like I said though Im not an FM guru. And yes, your right, the Midway campaign might be better for the overall theme, lol.

Wrench, Thanks but I know I could use screens from any version of the game, wanted to make new ones for my own use for this period. Thought maybe someone else might be interested too and Id be happy to share. Yes the TBD is from the Enterprise...www.aviation-history.com/douglas/tbd Thanks for the reminder about saving in ansi. Dont blame you guys for not wanting to switch; it IS a lot of work to make an install. But I remember where we all began a few years ago with this game. Half the fun since then has been changing it and suiting it to what we want. Thats probably the biggest thing that makes SF so popular after all these years; its kind of a hobby. So now its SF2's turn to be modded and molded right? :good:

It's not a hobby!!!

IT'S A WAY OF LIFE!!!!!! :rofl:

sorry, couldn't resist!!! :wink:

I'd say to 2 version of the ini, and GO FOR IT!!! :good:

wrench

kevin stein