Sign in to follow this  
jodandawg

icon info

i feel kind of dumb here. how do go about designing and building icons. i have many designs in my head but cant put them into practice.

Create them in a graphics program like paint/Gimp/Photoshop then save as the correct resolution and file type. What are you creating the icons for?

Create them in a graphics program like paint/Gimp/Photoshop then save as the correct resolution and file type. What are you creating the icons for?

other types of shortcuts and map icons in the sf series.

I enjoy going back and forth using Photofiltre and Gimp.

Also, here is a link that Kout gave me some time ago that may help. I haven't actually looked at it too much yet but it looks to be very informative.

microsoft guidelines

I'm sure there are better ways of doing it, but I like starting off by creating a 48X48 image in Photofiltre and then go from there. I usually like trying to use gradient effects as it makes for a nice look and sometimes little, subtle reflection effects. And one of my favorite tools within Gimp or Photofiltre is the blur tool which I use to lightly soften hard edges.

Edited by Coot

very good info dudes. thank you very much. now if i can just get my old brain to working again.

Photofiltre is extremely easy to install and use. Its sort of a nicer form of default microsoft paint program. Maybe just open up a 48X48 project in a paint program and start playing around with all of the tools to learn what there is. Photofiltre also has some nice textures that I've used to make pretend grass. This really helped me on one of my icons because the texture essentially made the illution of grass without having to try to hand paint grass or having to figure out some other way of doing it. And when you have little room to work with these little tools I've found to be very helpfull. I also find that sometimes the best outcome and look is a result of accidents.