Sign in to follow this  
Dagger

Never Reazlized About Weasles...

just saw they started them in vietnam using F-100s but they lost so many that they switched to the F-105...the crews got to pair up and after they did they had a mock wedding,the vows were basically"100 missions or till death do us part" they even showed the move they used to defeat the sams...fly stright at them...let the missile track them and then dive...as they closed the THUD would pull up with full burners...sam couldn't match this move,so then turn and shoot radar.

Weasel's? Oh yeah. Nerves and other important portions of the anatomy... :D

After alarming amounts of F-4C losses to SAMs in Viet Nam, the top secret Wild Weasel mission was designed. Originally, the F-100Fs would fly staggered...the lead pilot would have to attract a SAM, and the trailing guy would go in and destroy the site after the launch. This is what lead to all but a few F-100s being shot down, and the need for the F-105F and later the F-105G (updated threat detection). When originally told the nature of the top secret missions, a Weasel EWO said, and took this as their motto...

ygb_smlr.jpg

You Gotta Be Sh'ttin Me!

http://wildweasels.org/ I'm member #2485. :) (Crew Chief, not Aircrew)

http://www.wildweasel.net/Takhli/takhli_rtafb.htm Site with true accounts and pictures of Wild Weasels during Viet Nam by Robert W King, a Wild Weasel "Bear" (F-105 EWO).

http://mysite.verizon.net/t.gummo/id1.html Tom Gummo's site. He was an F-4G pilot...and I think he was one of the guys in that piece done on Mail Call.

Yes, much interesting TY (I think I'm going to buy one these books)......seems same thing infantrymen are doing ..... the second aircraft was getting the target by actually seeing the launch and thus identify the target?? I am understanding correctly or I am dead wrong?

Do you know approximately what was the distance between the two AC, their altitude , the ordinance used and the target (radar or whole site)? How many F100 were attacking?

Oops, sorry Bernard for not getting back sooner.

I sent an email out to the Weasel Net (for the Society of Wild Weasels) to get better answers for your questions. I'll post their replies here when they come. :)

:D :D Weasel_87FIS that's great! Can't wait now to read the answers. SAM and SAM hunting in the sixties and seventies are a great subject. I always like to get info on that.