Sign in to follow this  
Condor44

Aircfaft Stress Resistance

I tested it in quick combat and started the dive at 15k feet. The speed never went above 200 mph as I was already losing parts after pulling the stick only a little. When I twisted it hard, that was the end of my Nupe. Oh, and I have the effects slider at maximum in order to see as much damage as possible.

But what I can't understand is why we're seeing such huge difference between these results. The Nupe shouldn't be so tough with any settings, except maybe aircraft stress off. Strange. :blink:

What effects slider are you reffereing to and where is it found?

Condor, it's the usual graphics configuration utility you use to change resolution and all that stuff. Just go to the workshop in the main menu and click the grey button.

Condor, it's the usual graphics configuration utility you use to change resolution and all that stuff. Just go to the workshop in the main menu and click the grey button.

I have the effects sliders at max. I have pretty good machine and vid card. I know from checking Homeboy's web page that he has his at max also. As I said at the beginning, I have stress and g forces on. I'm at full realism except for pilot death. It's puzzeling that we are seeing such differences. Perhaps I should drop this and just enjoy the flying but it's really got my curiosity going so I may continue to tilt at this windmill. In the meaantime, I still congratulate the developers. I'm wondering about the stress modeling but everything else about the game is right on :good: I guess I should be happy the my wings don't come off too easily.

I can only speak from my experiences in OFF. But I have had 4 (that i can recall for sure) french pilots lost over the front lines because I busted up my plane on stressfull vertical manuvers.

You may come to find that bad things tend to happen in higher frequency when they can cause the most distress (as covered in murphys law). If you "REALLY" want to test this theory. Take your "BEST" DID pilot and go do these stress manuver tests 20miles into enemy teritory. See if you dont shed a wing. :wink:

S!

My sincere apologies here! I am now able to successfully destroy my Nupe due to stress!

I just was doing it wrong. After reading Hasse Wind's post about how he accomplished this, I decided to try 15k (I was using 10k before) and using autopilot to hold the plane at altitude while waiting for it to develop full speed before split-ess'ing into a vertical dive. This gives the airplane much more speed initially and increases the chances of stress failure. The other mistake I was making before was at a certain point (around 205mph) the plane begins to nose up slightly. Before, I was just hands off the stick and the nosing up would drop the airspeed enough to prevent the plane from entering that "deep compression" (you hear the engine begin to speed up) just before things begin to fail. Now, I put forward pressure on the stick and hold it down in the vertical dive and force it to compress. At around 220mph things begin to fail. Still, total destruction does not occur unless I try to pull up (I hit the ground before that happens) in which case the plane comes apart.

All I can say about this is these Nupes are some sort of tough birds! If I were to try to do something like this in any of my radio controlled planes or any of the planes in Aces High, bad things would happen within five seconds of a full-powered vertical dive. The reason I thought this wasn't working before is because I've learned from experience to NEVER sustain any sort of vertical dive with power for more than a few seconds. Because these OFF planes will dive 15 seconds or longer with full power, I was not forcing the dive long enough to see damage.

Edited by HomeBoy

My sincere apologies here! I am now able to successfully destroy my Nupe due to stress!

I just was doing it wrong. After reading Hasse Wind's post about how he accomplished this, I decided to try 15k (I was using 10k before) and using autopilot to hold the plane at altitude while waiting for it to develop full speed before split-ess'ing into a vertical dive. This gives the airplane much more speed initially and increases the chances of stress failure. The other mistake I was making before was at a certain point (around 205mph) the plane begins to nose up slightly. Before, I was just hands off the stick and the nosing up would drop the airspeed enough to prevent the plane from entering that "deep compression" (you hear the engine begin to speed up) just before things begin to fail. Now, I put forward pressure on the stick and hold it down in the vertical dive and force it to compress. At around 220mph things begin to fail. Still, total destruction does not occur unless I try to pull up (I hit the ground before that happens) in which case the plane comes apart.

All I can say about this is these Nupes are some sort of tough birds! If I were to try to do something like this in any of my radio controlled planes or any of the planes in Aces High, bad things would happen within five seconds of a full-powered vertical dive. The reason I thought this wasn't working before is because I've learned from experience to NEVER sustain any sort of vertical dive with power for more than a few seconds. Because these OFF planes will dive 15 seconds or longer with full power, I was not forcing the dive long enough to see damage.

Homeboy,

You're such a nice guy. I don't think you have anything to apologize for. You didn't critcize anyone. You just noted what you observed and asked about it. You've contributed a lot to help others here and in Aces High and I and many others appreciate your efforts. (Where would we lefties be without the Lefty HOTAS.) :good: I've gone back and done the tests the way you did them and still can't get the Nup17s or the Albatross DIII to shed their wings. The Nups 11 and 16 shed their wings as soon as I pull out of the dive. They still seem tougher than they should be but then much of my experience is based on Red Baron and I don't know that stress was modeleld properly there.

It still is intersting that there are significsnt inconsistencies between what you and I are experiencing and also between what we are experiencing as compared to some others. From some reports on this thread it appears that Nups lose wings frequently under much less stress than we are applying.

I don't want to stress realism too much though or I will need to shoot myself next time I get shot down. In that case you will never hear from me again becuase that may be in the next hour. There's a reason why my realism settings do not include pilot death. What would my wife do with a lefty HOTAS? :biggrin:

Just in case anyone is interested, Condor asked me if I would make a video of me tearing up a perfectly good N17 in a vertical dive test.

is that video.

Just in case anyone is interested, Condor asked me if I would make a video of me tearing up a perfectly good N17 in a vertical dive test.

is that video.

I just did exactly the same thing with an N17 twice and sustained no damage. And my top speed in the dive was 200mph as compared to Homeboy's 190mph. I don't get it. We are using identical graphics and realism settings and have very simillar computers. I guess I should be pleased that my planes are strongerthan his. It will give me an edge if we do multi-player.