Guest ansons2

index.php?autocom=downloads&req=display&code=sst&id=9369

File Name: Solomons Terrain with Trees

File Submitter: ansons2

File Submitted: 4 Jul 2009

File Category: Terrains

:yes:

Hello folks,

Here is the updated version of the Solomons Terrain made by Edwards and Wrench with many trees, cows and new

buildings. Now Greg Pappy Boyington can have a nice sleep under Palm trees !

Readme.txt :

Updated Solomons terrain by S.Ansons

July 4th, 2009

Credits: Ansons, Edwards, The Wrench, CA_STARY

Original Terrain: Edwards, 1st Update by the Wrench

What's new in this update:

I have added trees on almost each tile and new buildings to the cities.

I could not imagine Greg Pappy Boyington having a romance with a nurse on a beach without Palm trees surrounding them . Solomons_data.ini has been reworked to allow all trees to be displayed and to avoid the shimmering water and flickering trees issues.

Have fun !

S.Ansons

Click here to download this file

For what patch level is this???? 06?? 08?? SF2??? Don't forget most the ww2 players are STILL at the 06 patch level, due to the FM restrictions. A LOT of the 08 terrain tweeks don't work in 06 level games.

Well, I'll grab it anyway, and see how many of the 40 odd target areas for the 2.5 version have to moved, or what needs adjusting with the jungle. I think you just may have saved Deuces some work!!! He been re-treeing it for me since Feb/March!!

---------------

EDIT: I didn't realize SoWesPac island jungles were SOOOO full with karst rocks...and there were SO many cities with 4-5 story buildings....instead of thatched huts and the like. Especially on the Canal. Unlike all the photos in all the books I've been collecting for the last 30-odd years or so (and relatives who were there...)

It DOES look better, but those TODs need major overhauls to make it look more correct for the region and era. The ONLY major European-style city would be Rabaul; all the others would have 'native structrues' and the occasional colonial buildings; which would normally be single-story types.

not to sound to detracting/deragatory/or just plane mean (which is NOT the case!), cause its a great effort (and one I've been working on since last summer), but it's just nooot quite right.

wrench

kevin stein

Guest ansons2
For what patch level is this???? 06?? 08?? SF2??? Don't forget most the ww2 players are STILL at the 06 patch level, due to the FM restrictions. A LOT of the 08 terrain tweeks don't work in 06 level games.

Well, I'll grab it anyway, and see how many of the 40 odd target areas for the 2.5 version have to moved, or what needs adjusting with the jungle. I think you just may have saved Deuces some work!!! He been re-treeing it for me since Feb/March!!

---------------

EDIT: I didn't realize SoWesPac island jungles were SOOOO full with karst rocks...and there were SO many cities with 4-5 story buildings....instead of thatched huts and the like. Especially on the Canal. Unlike all the photos in all the books I've been collecting for the last 30-odd years or so (and relatives who were there...)

It DOES look better, but those TODs need major overhauls to make it look more correct for the region and era. The ONLY major European-style city would be Rabaul; all the others would have 'native structrues' and the occasional colonial buildings; which would normally be single-story types.

not to sound to detracting/deragatory/or just plane mean (which is NOT the case!), cause its a great effort (and one I've been working on since last summer), but it's just nooot quite right.

wrench

kevin stein

:blink:

Hello The Wrench,

To answer your questions :

FYI I am playing SFP1 with latest Oct08 patch and flying prop planes and jets. for prop planes, sometimes the FM is erractic due the spins and stalls but these planes are (at least for me) fun to play and with the Avhistory latest FMs there is some hope

to get good FMs with the latest patch.

OK the builldings might be out of context for a WW2 war, but I did not have other shapes in the .tga. Anyway , having palm trees and jungle adds a lot for immersion . I you do not like that mod , just do not install it ! You still have your previous version available at CA. I just wanted to share something that i have done... people are free to use it or not.

Best regards

ansons2

You should optimize it for '06 patches. The avhistory FMs only cover 3 or 4 aircraft. Most prop heads want to use all of their aircraft and that will take time to bring over.

it works just fine in my 06 patched Pacific WWII install

I like it!!

:good:

Edited by Typhoid

Guest ansons2
it works just fine in my 06 patched Pacific WWII install

I like it!!

:good:

:yes:

Thanks Typhoid.

From my point of view, the Oct08 patch has a much better AI than the previous game releases even for prop planes.

AI plane are now much more agressive, it is not uncommon for me to be shot down by a Zeke or an Oscar...

Unless someone is interested in shooting sitting ducks, I would recommend Oct 08 patch.

If you want to remove the "too modern" buildings (dixit the Wrench...), that can be done in a pretty straightforward manner by using the terrain editor and the texture list I have put in the Solomons folder. You just have to edit the city tiles and remove the solid objects. Once done, just save 1) the terrain , 2) the texture list and the .tods files will be updated.

Best regards

ansons2

Why go through all that TE hassel to remove the city building, when all one needs do is just rename the ***city.tods to x***city.tod, and edit the data ini to remove the "Solid & Alpha Texture lines"?? (actually, that that step ain't needed either...with the tod's removed the game engine sight, they'll disappear!)

wrench

kevin stein

Guest ansons2
Why go through all that TE hassel to remove the city building, when all one needs do is just rename the ***city.tods to x***city.tod, and edit the data ini to remove the "Solid & Alpha Texture lines"?? (actually, that that step ain't needed either...with the tod's removed the game engine sight, they'll disappear!)

wrench

kevin stein

Yes , but by removing/renaming the .tod files you will loose also the trees and if you just remove the

solid texture lines in the data.ini you will get white buildings...Using the TE is not so complicated

(at least for me !) and you can add/remove/move solid and alpha objects by just mouse clicks...

ansons2