Sign in to follow this  
HomeBoy

The sticky situation

Two ideas here. Feel free to fire away.

Idea #1

We all know the first page of the General Discussion forum is about half stickys. Sure, there could probably be some cleanup but I'd like to recommend that a new forum be created and move all the stickys there and name it something eye catching like "Getting started in OFF" or "OFF Help References", something like that. That way, we can keep the General Discussion about, well, discussion generally :biggrin: and not have to worry about the first page being taken over by stickys. The "Getting started in OFF" forum could be locked so that people can't post new topics there thus maintaining the spirit of the "sticky" concept without cluttering up our other forums. Only things we would otherwise want to be a sticky would be put there so the forum would not grow to an unmanageable size.

Idea #2

Some of these stickys could use some cleanup too. For example, that Tips and Cheats is painful to read through due to all the cut-n-pasting from other threads, etc. Also, trying to track reasonable video settings from the many places it is discussed is very frustrating. I would recommend assigning each topic to a particular person (in most cases the author) and allow that person edit privileges on that topic so they could clean it up, keep it relevant, etc. or even delete it altogether if appropriate. I've seen forums where a topic is locked so that no one can reply to it at all. I don't care for that. I like seeing peoples' replies. I think its a better idea to allow the author to edit the first posting in the topic as that is going to be the one a new user is going to read anyway. Of course that can make the replies to the thread somewhat irrelevant but that's not much of a problem I don't believe.

I don't mean this to be criticism as much as I'd just like to see these couple of housecleaning changes made so that particularly new players coming here don't have to plow through the evolution of everybody's thoughts on things. There are lots of great contributions made here and I'd just like to see them easier to locate.

Again, feel free to ignore me or flame me. :cool:

Thank you all!

-mark

Yes, some tidying up wouldn't be bad - and maybe also, to move the stickies to an extra place,

with the exception of 'screenshots' and 'Reports from the front', as there people do regularly post

new 'events', so it is rather part of the forum.

Edited by Olham

uncleal, Mark,

Don't know about others, but I did my homework here before I ordered OFF and whilst I was waiting for it to arrive, and I pored through ALL of the stickies slowly, cutting and pasting things that looked relevant to me, or things with technical stuff I'd need to refer to, rather than just remember.

So at least some newbies visit there and gain valuable experience from them. I agree that they might need tidying up, and Mark's suggestions are good'uns. I understand that these stickies are added to on occasion as a good solution to a problem or a good idea is presented. I can also understand how frustrating it must have been to "lose" a Forum and all it's contents.

It would be wise for any newbie to visit the stickies first, as I'm sure that some regulars here get frustrated at the same old questions appearing repeatedly over a period of some months, and the constant need to refer them to sticky threads that are even on the same "page" that they post the question on...just North of your position.

To make a seperate Forum for these stickies is, I think, a good idea, as it would unclutter the front page that is so constantly added to. But it's become so small that something you posted an hour ago disappears on to page 2 so bloody quickly. Regular users need to be patient in re-directing "newbies" to looking at the stickies "page" or "Forum". I know just how patient you guys have been helping me and other noobs here, it's just a matter of making some form of EMBOLDENED request to read the stickies before posting in the General Help or General Discussions Forums.

Yeah very good idea HomeBoy

Just need someone to do the shovel work :)

If OvS or someone has time maybe we can tidy it and have it in a sub forum or in general help.

Spot on, Homeboy. It seems that the Stickies [which I consult regularly...] have been slowly crowding the day-to-day stuff into less-and-less space. Rookies will have no problem finding our accumulated wisdom. Uncle Al will quick-march the pups to class. [Wait for it...]

I can do it.. well, clean up the stickies...

I had asked the CombatAce guys to create a 'Knowledge Base' forum for us. It's there, so I can start moving things over to it. We would have to just remind everyone that it's there and all the good info is there.

I'm on vacation now, so my online time it really short, my wife uses the laptop to plan our next ventures. So once I get back home, I'll make it a priority. Should be a little over a weeks time.

All the best,

OvS

I can do it.. well, clean up the stickies...

I had asked the CombatAce guys to create a 'Knowledge Base' forum for us. It's there, so I can start moving things over to it. We would have to just remind everyone that it's there and all the good info is there.

I'm on vacation now, so my online time it really short, my wife uses the laptop to plan our next ventures. So once I get back home, I'll make it a priority. Should be a little over a weeks time.

All the best,

OvS

Sorry to make work for ya there OvS. I am certain it will be worth it however. We'll have to be extra nice to you for a while I guess. :biggrin:

I'm on vacation now

Then what in the hell are you doing here!?!? You should be out enjoying yourself, not worrying about us! Jeeze, if I was at the beach with my girlfriend, do you think I'd be hanging out here? (No offense guys! :biggrin: )

Hope all is well Otto, enjoy your vacation mate! :good:

Then what in the hell are you doing here!?!? You should be out enjoying yourself, not worrying about us! Jeeze, if I was at the beach with my girlfriend, do you think I'd be hanging out here? (No offense guys! :biggrin: )

Hope all is well Otto, enjoy your vacation mate! :good:

He is laying out the next evil hun plan. No Krumpet would consider doing that in their holidays but ve huns are doing zsat and it will get them Krumpets by surprise.

I have a suggestion. Place a single sticky at the beginning of the General Discussion and Help Forums tittled something like "Newcomers, Please Read this First". That sticky could suggest they check the Knowledge Base forum, or whatever it ends up being called for answersto their questions before posting. That could save Uncleal from having to redirect as he would otherwise. :biggrin: Some won't do it but then some don't bother with the stickies now.

I was going to post exactly what has been said above by Condor44. I am a mod on a few forums that have had to do exactly that. It works well. Normally the 'Please read me first' sticky includes the rules for the forum, like no bad language, insulting other members, etc. Also it can include interesting stuff like how to post photos on the forum, how to size them, etc. Also some forums require a mod to approve posts from newbies and they do not understand why their posts are not visible. I don't think that one applies here though.