Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Lucky

Mixture question

I'm not asking historically, but what's necessary for the programming of CFS3.

When we fly planes without mixture controls, Should we set automixture to on in workshop?

Or leave it set off and just don't use mixture controls?

IIRC, many German engines had a form of automixture on their engines so .... is this modeled by the aircraft just not usinf mixture control and we do nothing or as I asked, do we need to select automixture on to emulate this.

Thanks

almost all late war German planes 1917 on had automix and the pilot had no need to do it, he did have to control his radiator (which is NOT modeled here)

A good question, Mr.Lucky - I had my Albatros DIII on "auto-mixture" al the time.

Could that have been wrong? Could an expert tell us, please?

Hello,

most german planes had auto-mixture, but there was a manual ignition timer, to advance timing appropriate to revolutions, and altitude - not modelled here.

Greetings,

Catfish

Recommendations for Historical Mixture Control

Posted by Bletchley several months ago....

YES = Manual Mixture Control; YES/AUT. = Manual Mixture Control; or set to 'Automatic' in Workshop; NO = No mixture control (accept the default at take-off); NO (lean) = 'lean' to reduce rpm by approx. 20-40 immediately after take-off, and use this as the new default setting, just as for 'NO'

Allied

Airco DH2: YES

Bristol F2b: YES

Bristol Scout: NO [80 hp Gnome to Jan. 1916] YES [80 hp Le Rhone from Feb. 1916]

RAF FE2b: NO

Nieuport 11: YES

Nieuport 16: YES

Nieuport 17: YES

RAF BE2c: NO

RAF RE8: NO [to Aug. 1917] YES [from Sep. 1917]

SE5a: YES

Sopwith Strutter: YES

Sopwith Camel: YES

Sopwith Pup: YES

Sopwith Triplane: YES

SPAD VII: YES

SPAD XIII: YES

German

Albatros D.II: NO (lean)

Albatros D.III: NO (lean)

Albatros D.V: NO (lean)

Albatros D.Va: NO (lean)

Albatros D.Va 200: YES/AUT.

DFW C.V: NO (lean) [1916/17] YES/AUT. [1918]

Fokker Dr.1: YES

Fokker D.VII: YES/AUT.

Fokker E.III: YES

Halberstadt D.II: NO (lean)

Hannover C.III: NO (lean)

Pfalz D.IIIa: NO (lean)

Roland C.II: NO (lean)

Bletchley

Even if you're flying with Auto mixture on, you can still get a little more power if you lean out your mix. Yes, - that's not an error - you still lean out your mix (ctrl -) with auto mixture on.

You won't notice any difference flying by yourself, but it works. I remember in the old multiplayer days, you could eek out a little bit more power, climb higher and faster than others flying on normal automix in the same aircraft I was flying. For all those who flew with me back then and wondered how the 'f' they couldn't quite keep up, well now you know.... :wink:

Don't get too excited, it's not like a turbo or anything, but you can steadily 'creep' ahead. It's a tiny little bit more speed, best used on your way to target, - just focus on keeping up with the pack, - but climb too. You'll arrive together at the target, but you'll find yourself with much greater altitude. I could often catch the old 'Zepp's climbing out of trouble when nobody else could get high enough.

It's not difficult, press ctrl - until your engine begins to falter, then click a couple of ctrl + until your revs pick up, and that's you flying on a lean mix.

If it works for you, (it will), then it's all thanks to the MOG guys who educated me. :clapping:

Just to add, you need to re-adjust your mixture as your altitude changes. - Just repeat the process when you adopt a new altitude.

The only changes I would make to my earlier recommendations above is to ignore the "(lean) = 'lean' to reduce rpm by approx. 20-40 immediately after take-off, and use this as the new default setting, just as for 'NO'", as subsequent changes to the flight models for the German scouts make this unnecessary now (you should find that they are already 'leaned' at ground level as the default). So NO (lean) is now just NO. I am not sure if Flyby's advice will still work in this case - it might :)

Bletchley

Thanks all for your help. I knew Bletchley posted that for P2 but didn't know it was out for P3. Thanks.