Sign in to follow this  
stingray77

How do I get SF2 Vietnam running on my Vista SP2?

Hi there! I very much hope you can help...

On Monday I bought and downloaded SF2 Vietnam plus their most current update (SF2V_update_May2009b.exe)

Installed it (both) in the evening on my Vista SP2-machine (MS-updates on the lastest versions - as far as I can see; there is no MS-update pending).

- First thing was that there is no "SF2V-link"-button dropped on the desktop (as usually is the case with games) - no big deal, I think...

- then: SF2V is is not listed in the programs appearing on "Start/all programs" :blink: - strange, isn't it?

- so dive into the drive, find the .exe and start "as admin"...

The screen gets black and freezes for quite SOME time - even exiting with Ctr-Alt-Del takes long to abort SF2V.

I tried several times and on one try (I do not know, what I did - maybe pressed Enter or Alt-Enter or some other combination) I got to the Main Screen and was able to fly an instant mission. :good: As it was quite late then, I did not try much around, was exited and shut down.

Yesterday I tried again, but whatever I did (pressing Enter, Alt-Enter, Esc .....) nothing got me to the Main Screen again!

I recall that on Monday there were some white screens flashing between the long "black-out"-phases - yesterday, there was a long "black-out" followed by a "white-out", but no more...

How do I get that one running?

My system:

Vista SP2

2GHz

2GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GS

- should not be a problem...

Any help is VERY WELL appreciated - shots of that game look so awfully promising!

Thanks

Oliver

Im in the process of updating my computer to SP2;I recall nothing working with SP1 so I rolled back(restored).I was hoping MS had its stuff worked out with SP2.Either that or the drivers have to be updated!

Hum, I thought the drivers would be/get updated with MS-updates and SPs "automatically"... So, where/how do I update my drivers - or (first step first), where can I see the status of my drivers?

So you have been experiencing the same: SF2 not running (on your SP1)?

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732

Mine is in the throes of SP2 installation.This time around WOI ran fine.But other funky stuff is definitely going on!Dont barf when you read the part about how these service packs are supposed to straighten issues and make your computing experience more enjoyable.

These buggers are so spreading their legs for a big fat juicy lawsuit its not funny.

Edited by Stick

So, updating from SP1 to SP2 your (previously running) WOI "lost track"?

Hum, at least you could go back to "before" and keep flying....... Wouldn't work well with me, as it's quite SOME time ago, that I updated to SP2.

As of right now Im updating to SP2.(been that way since noon for me-Im giving it a little leeway as I have a slow net connection!

Back then I was updating merely to SP1 when the horrors were revealed.

Good luck!

I re-read (don't know for how many times) the "Sticky: Running any ThirdWire sim in Vista..." and "Brainless Guide" to find clues.

So next, I will verify that my WinDrivers (especially the DX) are latest ones and then de- and re-install (from the general "C:/programs..." the installation suggested) to another folder on "my" drive with full rights (although starting the game "as admin" shouldn't make much difference)...

Hope that remedies whatever is going wrong.

Keep you posted.

Btw: anybody knows if TrackIR is supported by the SF2-series? Their HP doesn't tell much (SF1 WAS fully "enhanced"!) neither does the one of ThirdWire...

Thanks for the warning. I'll stick with SP1. :biggrin:

Ive just restarted my comp with SP2...and things are looking good so far;haven' t run the game yet...atleast things I click on dont dissappear or stagnate on the screen

I'm not running SF2 on Vista, just XP, just I can assure you TIR 4 works beautifully with it.

You don't need to update SF2:V with the May patch. TK always put the latest standard in the store to D/L. Try just installing SF2:V and check to see its the MayB standard (lower right corner on main GUI).

You don't need to update SF2:V with the May patch. TK always put the latest standard in the store to D/L. Try just installing SF2:V and check to see its the MayB standard (lower right corner on main GUI).

If only I could get that far...

So, I should do without the May patch? Okay, that's something (new) to try...

Here's what I did yesterady (without success) - all the things learnt from the "sticky"-threads:

- downloaded the most recent MS DirectX Update (03/2009) / restarted (so my Vista should be on the most current status now)

- opened a new folder in my (user) directory "C:users/.../Strike Fighters 2..."

- assigned full rights to every user to that folder

- installed game to that folder

- added the patch / restarted

=> same results - frozen screen - either black or white...

Next try will be installing SF2V without the patch. Thanks for the hint!

Keep you informed...

I'm not running SF2 on Vista, just XP, just I can assure you TIR 4 works beautifully with it.

I am running Flightsimulator 2004 on Vista SP2 and with the TrackIR5... So that sounds as if I could look forward to use it on SF2V, too - as soon I got it running........ :yes:

Sounds like you got the install procedure overly complicated. Delete the game and all those folders first.

Then just run the installer and let it install to the default location (..prog files\thirdwire\etc...)

Run the game and set up your things like resolution and sounds and whatever.

Exit and you'll find an SF2 directory was created for you by the game in your user's profile and THAT'S where the mods will go. The game itself SHOULD be in the program files directory, but all mods go under your profile.

Sounds like you got the install procedure overly complicated. Delete the game and all those folders first.

Then just run the installer and let it install to the default location (..prog files\thirdwire\etc...)

Run the game and set up your things like resolution and sounds and whatever.

Exit and you'll find an SF2 directory was created for you by the game in your user's profile and THAT'S where the mods will go. The game itself SHOULD be in the program files directory, but all mods go under your profile.

So I will not get into trouble with Vista-admin-quarrels? I thought this would be the main culprit...

Okay, so I will

- first de-install from my "user"-folder

- re-install as defaulted

- LEAVE AWAY the May-patch

(then what should I do about sounds and resolutions? I think I am current, so I would not see anything needed to get set up...)

- and VERY intersting to know that the game will create an own folder under "users" to save mods! Add-on planes/skins go there, too? ...Very much different from MS FS 2004.

Thanks and may the force be with both of us :biggrin: (wow, in the early 80's I was a real hardcore on the "original trilogy"!)

That procedure was more necessary for the original SFP1 sims through WOI under vista. Starting with SF2 TW's sims are "vista friendly" and are designed so after install you don't need admin rights to mod.

As for modding SF2, check the knowledge base for the full details.

Okay, I am a little step ahead - but not "there", yet:

As said, yesterday I de-installed the game (checked: the folder I created and installed the game into was empty, so I deleted it) and installed again "by the book" (install into folder that the game suggests). Kept my fingers off the May-patch.

When I opened the game then (as admin - not necessary? Or is that for the mods only?) it again took an awful lot of time and took me throught lengthy black screens, but the little circle was still turning and eventually the Main Screen opened! :yes:

I was delighted! I took a look around the "options" (without changing anything), chose to fly a short "instant mission", and after that exited to try and see if it worked again...

Then - nothing! Same as before: long, long black screens until the "processor LED" indicated that the machine was running idle... Two options: wait (10 mins or so) until the microsoft message appeared: "Strike Fighters 2 isn't working any more" (sorry, I could only quote what it really says in German), or abort by ctr+alt+del...

But now I at least know that it does work, I "just" need to find that little tweak to make it open reliably (and without re-installing the game every time before flying - I think that might work again if I tried)!

What I also checked, was that the game does create that folder in the "users"-drive as said before, and that still there is no "link" on the desktop - but the latter can be easily created, right?

Please keep your suggestions (help) coming! :wink:

Oh - I forgot to check that out in my excitement....... And -uhm- what's the "GUI"?

Oh - I forgot to check that out in my excitement....... And -uhm- what's the "GUI"?

Actually just look the lower right corner of the main menu. You'll see the version.

BTW, you won't get any desktop shortcuts for the game.

Okay - will do... (And what does GUI stand for?)

How do you run the game then? Created your own shortcut or do you dive into the drive everytime you want to play?

Any idea, what I might do/check to get it running on my system? Any idea what might cause my problems? I must admit, I have NO CLUE... :sorry:

Btw: is it possible to alt+tab the game to the task bar, change applications and return later? Should be, right?

Edited by stingray77

GUI = Graphical User Interface.

There is the Start Menu Right? And I think it also found in Vista's Games Menu.

I have no clue about your problems since I do not have problems with my setup.

Maybe you can report this in the Thirdwire techs upport forums. www.thirdwire.com

How dumb - I wasn't aware of their own support-forum... Just registered there, will check for possible answers and post if I cannot find anything.

I'll keep you informed.

And: if anybody has more ideas here, keep posting, please!

Okay, I am a little step ahead - but not "there", yet:

As said, yesterday I de-installed the game (checked: the folder I created and installed the game into was empty, so I deleted it) and installed again "by the book" (install into folder that the game suggests). Kept my fingers off the May-patch.

When I opened the game then (as admin - not necessary? Or is that for the mods only?) it again took an awful lot of time and took me throught lengthy black screens, but the little circle was still turning and eventually the Main Screen opened! :yes:

I was delighted! I took a look around the "options" (without changing anything), chose to fly a short "instant mission", and after that exited to try and see if it worked again...

Then - nothing!

Okay... some theories:

1) Upon first load after install, the SF2 games create some folders and data in your "user data/Thirdwire" folder. That's what takes a little, it's unpacking certain things and writing them.

2) When you launch it a second time, usually the process is much faster, since these files have already been extracted. To me it sounds like on second load it has a problem reading these extracted files on your install. Check that Thirdwire folder, NOT the one in program directory, for correct rights.

3) Another possibility is that the game is writing other things after first load (options, screen settings, anything automatically determined) to a config, and can then not load the config.

One way to test this: Delete the My Files/Thirdwire/SF2V Folder (not sure if it's really "My Files" in Vista, I've also seen "My saved games") and then try again to load the game. Anything the game writes after initial install is in that folder, so basically deleting it will give you the same situation as if you had just reinstalled.

Yes, sounds quite reasonable and very well worth the try...

Then I would "only" need to find out how to assign "full rights" to "everyone" for that newly generated folder in my user-drive...... :rolleyes: (Not too easy a task if I recall correctly from a recent issue I had.)

I will let you know the results...

Thanks for giving something new to try out! :good:

Okay, working on the assumption I'm right:

What I could think of (if my theory is confirmed) is that there's a rights mismatch somewhere between the user who owns "My Documents" and the user running Strike Fighters. For example if you run SF2 as admin, the admin would actually write those files to your User folder, but can he read them afterwards?

In Vista nothing ever is as it seems with rights. The fact it loads once means there's no inherent driver or other technical problem to solve, as was the case with earlier versions, it will come down to a file/rights problem I'm sure.