Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Model building tips?

I picked up an Academy F-104G last week. Never really have put much effort in building a model, but I figure I have to start somewhere.

So, what are tips to making a model really look good? Should I build it first or paint the pieces first?

The decals inculded are of Marinefliegergeschwader 2 and I'm curious as to whether the Marineflieger Starfighters wore any schemes other than the gray on top/white on bottom.

Generally I always did a lot of the detail painting first, where feasible, because it was easier that way. Then you do the large-scale painting after assembly.

There are vast amounts of information out there on how to build models, though a lot of them seem to be for much more detail then a beginning modeler needs. To start, I would recommend:

1. Supplies:

A) Sharp hobby knife, preferably one with switchable blades.

B) Assortment of sandpaper...fine to extremely fine.

C) Modeling putty.

D) Masking tape and rubber bands...an assortment.

E) Clear paint...dull and/or gloss enamel.

F) Paints for your model...spray for larger areas, bottles for details. Spray primer (again, enamel) is a must.

G) Decent pair of tweezers.

2. Assuming an injection molded kit, wash all parts in mildly soapy water. Most injection molded models have a bit of oil left over from the process. Let them dry throughly.

3. Do NOT 'break' parts from the sprue tree...cut them out.

4. Practice spray painting...learn to do nice, even, thin coats with no dripping or running...practice on anything.

5. Anything you wish to detail paint, first use the knife and fine sandpaper and get rid of any excess plastic (sometimes called 'flash'). Then, wash, dry, and paint with primer. Things to paint before assembly are one or 2 piece small items, such as landing gear, ejection seats, cockpit interiors, etc. If some things you need to assemble first (landing gear wheels), then assemble them (making sure you don't put together something that you realize later you need to take apart due to another step in the general model assembly). If you assemble items to paint, you will probably need to use masking tape/rubber bands to hold them together until they dry. Then you'll probably notice the 'seams' will appear not to match well. Use the putty to 'fill in' the seams, then the sandpaper to get rid of the excess and smooth the area. Lightly clean with a damp cloth, then dry (getting rid of lint). Then spray with primer, and detail paint.

6. Follow instructions to assemble the model. If, as you assemble, you come across parts that should be detail painted first, follow the previous step. With any gluing, if you have painted before you assemble, make sure you scrape off the paint where the glue is to be used.

7. Decide as you assemble if you need to do the 'putty, sand, clean, paint' before continuing the model. An example would be to assemble the main body of the Starfighter, then putty and sand, then glue the wings and tail on, putty and sand, then clean, dry, primer.

8. If you can, leave the canopy until last and use masking tape to tape off the clear areas. Then glue on...and if you're keeping the canopy down, lightly putty, sand and clean if needed.

9. Also, it's almost always better to mask and spray vs brush and pray if you can...I find I get better results. However, this may or may not be within reach of your abilities.

10. Once the model is completely painted, cover it with a glossy clear coat (except for the clear areas of course). Decal after that...you'll find it helps the 'clear' part of the decal blend in and disappear. Once the decals are done and dry, cover the model in another coat of glossy clear, dry, then dull clear if desired.

11. Remove all masking and your model should be done!

Realize this is a rough beginners tutorial. Most serious modelers have many more techniques that will trump my advice, but may seriously increase effort, time and/or investment. Also, realize that your model will take several days...usually I allow a full day between putty and sanding, and between coats of paint to allow full curing...assuming it's not very cold/humid.

FC

Thanks for the tips! Although I'm not sure what to make of this:

...assuming it's not very cold/humid.

Especially living in New England, where both of those could happen on the same day in an hour's notice.

I'm curious as to whether the Marineflieger Starfighters wore any schemes other than the gray on top/white on bottom.

Like this?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Germany---N...8ee8ff0c15d16f8

This is the scheme of the Marinefliger Vikings display team. It is the only other scheme I know of for the German Navy.

He just means that it may take MORE than 1 day to fully dry if it's cold or humid.