Sign in to follow this  
Vasco

Winston's Early Birds - 02 Aug 09

Gentlemen,

Winston has asked me to run the session this Sunday.

What I intend to do (as there have been a number of positive responses to the suggestion) is to generate campaign missions where we can split into two teams and combine co-op play with dogfighting against human opponents. I will also 'dumb down' the competency of the AI pilots on both sides by reducing the number of aces airborne.

1. I will develop the campaign missions to cover late 1917/early 1918 where the main rides of the two opposing squadrons will be Sopwith Camels and Fokker DR1's as these seem a good match, so get practicing ofline as these can be pigs to fly!

2. I also propose that Fortiesboy's DM V1.2 is made the standard for this and future sessions until such time as we have more information on what the new developers' DM offers. If anybody wishes to test their installation grab either myself, Winston or Sitting Duck on TS before the event (it should be sufficient to install V1.2 over V1.1 and delete the .bdp files as standard).

3. Both teams will setup on seperate TS channels for comms during the missions. At the end of each mission we will all revert to the main channel for debrief and the setting up on the next mission.

3. I am looking for a VOLUNTEER living on the US East Coast to host the session to minimise any lag from both sides of the pond. Failing obtaining a volunteer I will host them from my PC.

4. In order to keep Winston's scoring model for the August awards going I am going to need somebody on the opposite side to the one I fly on to assess their squad and give me feedback on individual performance at the end of the session. I will pass this on to Winston.

5. Any questions?

Vasco :pilotfly:

Edited by Vasco

Quick one from me - if I download DM1.2 now (it's 9.35pm BST) are you around to ensure that I'm sorted?

Cheers,

Si

Yes.

August sessions are now posted on the calendar. Instructions and locations of all help files and required files are listed there as well. I hope to be able to join you all on Sunday, I sat in my computer chair for a few hours this evening and it seems to have gone well. No heavy pain now, just some soreness and it should pass by Sunday (hopefully).

If I can make the session, and we split into two teamspeak channels, I'll take the scoring duties of the Axis side if that's OK with all.

"3. Both teams will setup on seperate TS channels for comms during the missions. At the end of each mission we will all revert to the main channel for debrief and the setting up on the next mission."

<pedantic mode>

Point of order, chair.

I've got TS working quite happily on my rig, however I don't have any instructions on how to set up separate channels, or join separate channels - I go in and I just appear along with everyone else.

Can you please let me (and other interested bods) know how we do either of the above? I've had a quick squint at the otherwise excellent MP tutorial and couldn't find this info. with regard to TS.

Whilst I'm at it, there are a few minor instructions that might be added to the MP tutorial WRT setting sound levels and choosing your side and slot once you've accessed the host server, but they can probably wait.

</pedantic mode>

SRC,

You don't need to do anything. To change channels you just double click on the new one we create on Outlaw's TS server. It takes seconds to do.

Hi Vasco,

Simple as that eh? That's what I like to hear.

Cheers,

Si

Hi,

Any news on who's hosting this evening? Also, what aircraft are we in - is it still Camels and Dr1s?

Hi,

Any news on who's hosting this evening? Also, what aircraft are we in - is it still Camels and Dr1s?

Yes,

Still on - Sopwith's and DrI's (though most of those I've spoken to on TS seem to express a preference for DrI's so I may need to pursuade a few of you to sample the delights of the Camel! :whip: )

No volunteers yet but I've got my fingers crossed that Sitting Duck has sorted out his reinstallation of OFF today.

No volunteers for Tommy Sopwith's finest? They're mad. OK, I'll finish me ironing and get the Camel fired up in QC.

Hurrah and huzzah! Let's show the Bosche what for, what?

I'll fly camels also, but may be a little late as I have to put signs on a Pickup this morning before I can start, hopefully it will only take a couple of hours.

Beard

I have a suggestion to make for today's game that might make things a little more realistic. All pilots EXCEPT for the flight leaders turn off their tac. That way only the flight leader, who would have been a more experienced pilot in RL, can see way points and targets. This would require the flight leaders to issue orders to their flight as to heading, targets, etc. We would still use lables so the flight leader and all other pilots can identify individual pilots by name and issue orders or warnings.

What do you think?

I'm still too dependent on my trust TAC. It's a good substitute for lack of the real sensory input that's lacking when we sit at a desk rather than actually flying. Also I wouldn't want to scare off the new players that we've gotten recently.

I think Vasco's added new features for today's session will be plenty to keep us occupied. Perhaps a test of this would be in order but IMHO let's keep it out of Early Birds for now, if that's OK with the majority? Still open for discussion.

I'm on TS now, and can hear the conversations, but I'm still sort of waiting for the IP address of tonight's server. Can some kind soul oblige?

I'm still too dependent on my trust TAC. It's a good substitute for lack of the real sensory input that's lacking when we sit at a desk rather than actually flying. Also I wouldn't want to scare off the new players that we've gotten recently.

I think Vasco's added new features for today's session will be plenty to keep us occupied. Perhaps a test of this would be in order but IMHO let's keep it out of Early Birds for now, if that's OK with the majority? Still open for discussion.

Yep, I rely on my tac as well. It was very encouraging to see so many players. I would estimate 11-12? Gameplay went well until we lost all power in our house due to an electrical storm. Then it came on about 10 seconds later. Track IR never worked properly after that. Subsequently, a restart fixed all but too late for me to join the second round. I might suggest in future multiplay scenarios that we limit or eliminate the AI aircraft as they seem to be a burden on the hosting player's computer as it has to keep track of all that information. Perhaps that is the cause of the odly acting enemy aircraft seemingly flying backwards at times. With as many human pilots as we had today, maybe a big dogfight over the strike zone would be fun for all as well. A waypoint for attacking planes to stafe an enemy airport or bust some balloons? And the other side defending against the same. All with similar aircraft that perform equally the same. Just my 2 cents. It was great fun.