When an enemy plane gets a lock on your AC, isn't there supposed to be an audible alarm and a flashing optical "Lock On" sign somewhere in the cockpit?

I mean aside from the voice warning "theres one on your tail" which in the heat of battle is very easy to miss completely.

Just asking mainly, because i'm getting blown away with no idea what, when, where the shot came from....

savagkc

Guest Ranger332

you can always try the external view meny a time in single player I have "out jinked" a bandits missles using it. The other is to immediately jink left or right at your wingmans warning.

hit the z key followed by x and c keys( x = electronic countermeasures

ECM, x= flares and c= chaff

Guest Ranger332

Read page 47 keys c x z

Z key is your COUNTER MEASURES

I think a basic RWR was first used for the Wild Weasel mission so they could detect and destroy SAMs in the F-105G and F-4C in the mid to late 60s. Maybe also in the "not so successful" F-100 WWs (most of them were lost). I'm not sure if they used RWR in any other aircraft until the 70s...of course I've been wrong before. :wink:

F4H-1, F-4B  

The F4H-1 (Model 98AM) was the first definitive production version of the Phantom, the earlier F4H-1F being considered developmental. The first Phantom to be considered fully-operational was the block 6 version of the F4H-1. To distinguish these aircraft from the earlier 47 aircraft, on May 1, 1961 the latter were redesignated F4H-1F, with the 48th and subsequent aircraft retaining the F4H-1 designation. In September 1962, the F4H-1F was redesignated F-4A, with the F4H-1 becoming F-4B.  

The first block 6 production Phantom with the J79-GE-8A or -8B engine (BuNo 148363) flew on March 25, 1961, test pilot Thomas Harris being at the controls. Overall, there was very little difference between it and late Block 5 F4H-1F aircraft. The engines were J79-GE-8As, rated at 10,000 lb.s.t. dry and 17,000 lb.s.t. with afterburner. This aircraft and subsequent machines were fitted with revised air intakes that had the fixed forward ramp set at 10 degrees from the flight axis versus 5 degrees for the modified ramps of the earlier Phantoms. In addition, the variable ramp had a maximum setting of 14 degrees versus ten degrees. They were otherwise similar to late production F4H-1Fs with raised canopies and larger radomes containing APQ-72 radars.  

The F-4B had the AJB-3 nuclear bombing system, the General Electric AN/ASA-32 analog autopilot and flight control system, and the full set of nine hardpoints. All F-4Bs had the Aero-27A ejector rack on the fuselage centerline which could carry a 600 US gallon drop tank. They could also carry a LAU-17A inboard pylon under each wing that could each carry one Sparrow or two Sidewinders. Two MAU-12 outboard underwing pylons were also mounted, which could each carry 370 US-gallon fuel tanks. Four underfuselage slots were provided, each of which could accommodate a semi-recessed Sparrow missile. In the air to ground role, the F-4B could carry a load of up to 16,000 pounds of ordnance. It could carry 8 1000 pound bombs, four AGM-12C Bullpup B air to surface missiles, or fifteen packs of 2.75-inch FFARs.  

The APR-30 radar homing and warning system with fin-cap antennae facing to front and rear was fitted to all F-4Bs, although it was added to the first 18 by retrofit.  

this is the early variant of the Phantom, in the late 50's-early 60's. as the first 18 operational Phantoms were equipped with threat warning and detection systems

Just curious Fast Eagle, what book was that you quoted from?

Just curious Fast Eagle, what book was that you quoted from?

McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Since 1920: Volume II, Rene J. Francillon, Naval Institute Press, 1990.

McDonnell F-4 Phantom: Spirit in the Skies. Airtime Publishing, 1992.

Modern Air Combat, Bill Gunston and Mike Spick, Crescent, 1983.

The American Fighter, Enzo Angelucci and Peter Bowers, Orion, 1987.

Post-World War II Fighters: 1945-1973, Marcelle Size Knaac, Office of Air Force History, 1986.

The World Guide to Combat Planes, William Green, Macdonald, 1966.

The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft Armament, Bill Gunston, Orion, 1988.

The World's Great Attack Aircraft, Gallery, 1988.

McDonnell F-4 Phantom: Spirit in the Skies. Airtime Publishing, 1992.

The Lessons of Modern War, Molume II: The Iran-Iraq War, Anthony H. Cordesman and Abraham R. Wagner, Westview Press, 1990

these are the books this info came from, however it is compiled on a website... I'll look for the link and post it

EDIT.............

Found it. here it is http://home.earthlink.net/~jwgreer/f4history.htm

WOW! Excellent resource for the F4! Thanks! Ill definately be using this in the future.

We should thank Column5, as it was his site where I first found the link

<S>

THANKS COLUMN5 FOR YET ANOTHER GREAT SOURCE OF INFO

I wish we had a threat indicator in the cockpit.would be nice.

Yes of course, Thanks Column5, good resource pal... :)