Sign in to follow this  
stumpjumper

oh great technical experts

i need info for the follwing ac (caudron_g4) bomb loadout/ and locations for them, also any other armament that it carried

Edited by stumpjumper

Stumpjumper,

The only info I could find on the Caudron G4 is that it was a twin engine three seater. Length 7.3 meters; Span 16.88 meters; Area 36.796 Sq m; Weight Machine 820 kgs; Weight useful 500 kgs; Motor Two 80hp le Rhones; Speed Max 130 kph. Also was fitted with two Anzani engines of 100 hp each, and was widely operated during '15-'16 as a bomb dropper, and as a fighting machine, later used for reconnaissance and training. A photograph shows a machine fitted with a forward firing machine gun (it appears to be a Vickers type, belt fed mounted in a nacelle. (From Jane's Fighting Aircraft of World War 1).

Fighting Aircraft of World Wars One and Two states that the Caudron G4 used two x 130 hp Hispano-Suiza. It stated that the caudron had a bomb load of 460lb.

I couldn't find anything else. It's not much I'm sorry to say. I have started a thread on "The Aerodrome".

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/aircraft...d-armament.html

We will have to wait and see what that results in.

Edited by Check Six

One Lewis, 250 lbs. bomb load is all I could find so far. Resource: The First Air Campaign by Lawson.

I figured as much Stump she looks great. Did some further digging and found that besides the lewis for observer in July 1916 in time for the Somme battles the GIV were fitted with fixed forward firing machineguns. My info is found in Fonck related materials. Still no details of bombs. I'll keep at it.

I can see they were used for bombing, in particular Zep sheds, but still no details.

Edited by Rickitycrate

Hello,

looks good !

no real info on bomp loads, but ..

Caudron history, lots of photos : http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/caudron.html

http://www.fl18.de/history/58/

113 Kilogramm bomb weight capacity - SI units but France alrady had that back then :wink:

Greetings,

Catfish

B.t.w. there is a Caudron for MS's FS 9/2004

, i guess it was a free download from AVSIM.com (?), but it is not really fun in FS 2004 ..

Hi,

no bomb racks:

" ... Bombs were dropped by the observer through metal trapdoor shaped like door of a rolltop desk. Observer, using the "oculaire" or eyeball technique, could ease the door back to take pictures or drop 3 slender bombs that were hung on leather straps in the cockpit. A G-4 was sent to the US. for evaluation and possible manufacture here. Was already considered obsolete, de Havilland DH-4 was built instead. ..."

from http://www.aviation-history.com/garber/vg-...ron_G4-1_c.html

B.t.w. bomb load differs from 100 to 113 kg, depending on source. As well there were two kinds of engines used, 2x80 or 2x100 hp. Caudron G.4A2 was used for reconnaissance, the G.4B2 for bombing, and the G.4E2 for training.

2 MGs: 2xHotchkiss or 2xLewis. Anothe MG mounted at the upper wing for firing backwards remained only shortly in service.

Greetings,

Catfish

Edited by Wels

This pic shows a bomb, maybe 25 lbs., strapped under the fuselage. bewtween the pilot and observer. Shows a single bomb but seems it could hould maybe up to 4. I could be wrong of course.

Edited by Rickitycrate

YEEEE HAAAA! Looks outstanding stumpjumper, and will that be a nice one to add to the fleet! Well done Sir. BTW, I will check my photos when I get home to see if I happen to have a pic showing the bombs on the G4.

Cheers!

Lou

Hi Stump!

Here's a couple of photos that should help. I've got the Datafile, if you want the drawings.

Cheers,

shred

post-32273-1249493143_thumb.jpg

post-32273-1249493157_thumb.jpg

We Both know this ain't no Cauldron, but it gives a rather good picture of the bomb rack itself

oh that willbe great if i ever get time to finishing this forgotten project ihad on an old hd

post-24208-1249684688_thumb.jpg

Stump, don't forget that BFG for the observer. I think Uncleal has a desire to pull that trigger.

My, what have I missed here? What will you do with that French bomber, Stump?

Can it be added into the sim, so I could shoot it down, pleeeeeeze?

stumpjumper, I see you now have some very good pics to work off of for the bomb racks on the G4. I did find a photo showing not only the racks but also an experimental mount of the Davis recoiless large bore gun on the front of the bus, (intended to be used for night work and balloon busting, I don't know that it ever made it into actual service). If you would like that photo I can get it scanned and posted this week, (my scanner at home recently went west).

So, will this new G4 also be sharing some air space with your Henriot over in the Italian sectors? And what is the status of that Voisin? Inquiring minds want to know. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou