Sign in to follow this  
Dave

John Hughes Dead at 59

I remember alot of his movies from the kids watching them. He'll be missed

Man, that sucks. His movies were the best of the 80's for a teenager. And thanks to Pretty in Pink, the reason I've always wanted a Porsche 944.

:sad: Ferris Bueller's Day Off was (and still is) one of my all time favourites.

"Saturday, March 24, 1984. Shermer High School, Shermer, Illinois, 60062.

"Dear Mr. Vernon: We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. And what we did was wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? You see us as you want to see us."

I always remembered that opening line because 24 March is my birthday and in 1984 we were living in Izmir, Turkey. Breakfast Club remains one of my favorite movies off all time. Hughes was a genius; anyone who was anybody knows about his movies and grew up with them during that time. He captured what it meant to be a teen and all the triumphs and tragedies that went along with it. He was on my list of someone I wanted to meet. I will miss him.

That's also the reason why Not Another Teen Movie is my 2nd favorite spoof film after Airplane...while it makes some passes at modern film, it's mostly a Hughes-fest.