Sign in to follow this  
Broadside uda Barn

graphic settings and FPS

Is anyone using an i7 920 with a gtx 260?

I'd like to compare graphics settings and FPS results.

These are the settings I'm using.

I'm getting beautiful graphics, no shimmering, no tearing (unless you call tearing the white out when you quickly turn your head to see behind you with TrackIR...which I get, but it disappears quickly as the scenery is rendered).

About 25 FPS on the ground taking off.

About 45 FPS in the air with no one around me.

About 30 -40 FPS in a dogfight with 8 or so planes.

About 15 - 25 FPS in a dogfight with 10+ planes.

How does this compare with what you are seeing?

My rig specs are in my signature.

Drivers are 182.50

Edited by Broadside uda Barn

the settings didnt load like I wanted.

here's a jpeg of them

Crud...having troubles here.

here's the specs the hard way :ok:

aniso filt. 16x

gamma on

AA mode: override application

AA 16x

AA transparency: multisampling

Texture clamp: hardware

Error: off

Ext. limit: off

mipmaps: off

pre rendered frames: 6

multi display (cause I have 2 monitors)

Texture filt. off

lod bias: clamp

Texture fil. quality: high quality

Trilinear: off

Threaded opt. Auto

triple buf. On

Aniso mip filter: off

Vert. sync Force on

Edited by Broadside uda Barn

My in game graphics settings are set at: 5,5, 4, 4, 5, 4.

this is a possibility.

I dont think it has that much to do with cpu performance (remember that the i7 reads memory at 4 different cores, instead of the bottleneck that dual and quad cores have...it's a completely new architecture for memory reading), as opposed to

graphics card settings.

This card has ample room to spare...896mb memory.

curious to see what others are getting...and does anyone have a comparable rig to an i7 920?

Is anyone using an i7 920 with a gtx 260?

How does this compare with what you are seeing?

My rig specs are in my signature.

Drivers are 182.50

BuB,

I'm running pretty close to the same rig, but with a GTX280. Did you know that that i7 920 CPU you have that runs stock at 2.67 Ghz can be overlocked with a good air cooling fan to run at 4Ghz? Mine runs steady at 4 ghz and OFF loves it. At 1680 x 1050, 16xQ I get rock solid 60 FPS no matter where I am or what's in the air. Check into a Zalman cooling fan for about $80 and get a lot more power out of your rig. There are some good FAQs on the web about exactly how to OverClock i7 920. It's about the best chip on the market for OCing. I'm also running 6GB RAM but I have Vista 64 bit edition so I can see it all.

My settings are a 4s except for Clouds and Effects are both 5s. It is also extremely rare I get white triangle jaggies at the edge of my screen even when I'm looking around quickly with TrackIR 4. Try bumping your settings down to all 4s except for Clouds & Effects. That might help a bit too.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

BuB,drop your clouds to 2 if you want an increase of fps. You'll see little or no graphical difference. Maybe try it for a look/see otherwise it seems to me you are getting satisfactory fps.

BuB,

I'm running pretty close to the same rig, but with a GTX280. Did you know that that i7 920 CPU you have that runs stock at 2.67 Ghz can be overlocked with a good air cooling fan to run at 4Ghz? Mine runs steady at 4 ghz and OFF loves it. At 1680 x 1050, 16xQ I get rock solid 60 FPS no matter where I am or what's in the air. Check into a Zalman cooling fan for about $80 and get a lot more power out of your rig. Hellshade

I have a whopper of a cooler already in the case. It's a vigor monsoon 3, about the size of a football (I'm not kidding). Yeah, I bought this specific chip because of the OC potential.

I havent oc'd yet as I havent really seen the need to up to this point, and there's no sense in putting the wear on the cpu if there's no real need....but I'm not opposed to it.

I think it might be an issue of RAM, since XP only sees 3GB.

I'll try with some lower graphics settings in cfs3 and see what that does.

Clouds at 1 and 2 helped a little, but not much. I like the better clouds tho, or at least I think I do. It's hard to tell, because each mission is different. hard to get the same settings for a good test.

Unless someone can see something in the nvidia control panel settings, I think I'll just follow rickity's suggestion and leave well enough alone.

Honestly, it plays so smooth, that steady 50 FPS, isnt really any different than 25 FPS...the key being that it's steady and no stutters, which I dont have.

The white jagged tearing is something else. Maybe it's ram, maybe uncleal is right, it's the cpu.

I'll think about OC'ing, tho it's not THAT annoying as it only happens in situations where I'm climbing and look back quickly.

It also might be a setting in the TrackIR. I still cant figure that out tho, so I havent messed with it since HB recommended his settings. Slower turning might fix the issue.

Thanks for the input on your settings hellshade!

And thanks everyone else for the suggestions.

Keep em coming if you think of anything.

BuB