Sign in to follow this  
sitting_duck

drop in fps

Hmm, may have to try that to see for myself.

Even befor the super patch was getting up to 40 (according to the Frame Rate thingy I downloaded) After ,a small increase 45 of course it does fluctuates lowest is 20 ( Heavy dog fighting 10 a/c minimum plus the flak and arty in the lines and weather) 1 5 1 2 1

I'm too new to OFF and still trying to optimize to notice any real difference before and after the patch.

But one of the things I do after patching a game, is to defrag the HD.

Depending on what is the patch patching, it can make the whole difference.

In this case it seems to have been a rather large patch. So why not give it a try.

I have also been fiddling with my config settings since installing the latest upgrades as I too was noticing a big drop in fps at take-off and in dogfights. I have now settled on my sliders at 5-2-3-2-3 with ground density set at "low". My fps are back up in the 40-to-70 range all the time and the overall look of the sim is actually better than it was before with the previous OFF version and higher slider settings. I ran my tests flying in the Alsace with the Escadrille Americaine, and tried it in all kinds of weather. One of the biggest improvements I noticed with the lower slider setting is in the exhaust smoke of the aircraft. It looks spot-on correct now whereas before with the higher settings it appeared as if you had the contrast cranked to about 1000%. Go figure. Every computer system is different and will require the proper tweak to get it all just right. And mine is now very close to just right. Me so happy. :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

Lou, what is your cpu, graphics card, drivers, ram, OS?

BuB, here they are:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0ghz Wolfdale 6mb 1333fsb 45nm with Arctic Cooler

Memroy: 8gb DDR2 PC2-6400 800mhz

Mobo: ASUS P5QL Pro

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA II NCQ 500gb 32mb

Opti Drive: LG 22X DVD+/RW Dual Layer SATA Rewrite

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512mb

I currently have the CPU overclocked to 3.8ghz, and the memory sticks OC'd to 890mhz. With the monster cooler and fans I am running the box never gets hotter than about 95f, and that's after I have been rolling around in a major dogfight for 10 to 15 minutes. Also, with the current slider settings, no white jaggies of any kind, no matter how fast you turn your head.

Cheers!

Lou

Thanks Lou!

I've still got my density setting to medium, and just tried my AA quality to 16Q (from 8x). Interestingly, FPS are the same, but the image is sharper.

I have my settings at 5 except for landscape and scenery which are 3.

Does anyone else see the "shimmering" trees, usually around the takeoff area? It's like they are rustling, but only a few trees do that.

Well, I upgraded the service pack to Version 3...still no great improvement. Now I'm left with the conundrum. Do I need a new rig? Or will a simple upgrade in graphics card do the trick? You guys know my rig config...the Dimentia specs I posted earlier. If you-all have any reccomendations they will be eagerly recieved. I'm stumped though. If a new card will fix this to decent playable standards, well that seems the most economical route. If it's not gonna make much difference with this rig though....why bother with an upgraded card. You know the drill. TIA for any and all advice, and for all of the help so far as well! You guys are the best. And major props to the OFF team for such amazing upgrades/updates. You guys are killing me!! This game has become so realistic,versatlie and immersive, standing on the sidelines with a crippled PC is like being a kid at a candy store window with empty pockets!!! Great work though!!

ZZ.

With the last patch 1.32f my copy of OFF resets to "kinda" default settings after each mission, 222222. What I have found is with my vid card(8800 GT)set to damn near max settings, 16x, 16x, supersampling, I am seeing visually almost everything I saw with the config settings at 553453. The only appreciable difference I am seeing is in the clouds. When at default I am getting 40 on the runway and 60 flying and maybe dropping to 55 in dogfights. My refresh rate is 60fps at screen default setting of 1680 x 1050. I have also noticed with the last patch my sound resets after each mission.

Beard