Sign in to follow this  
SFP1Ace

Some Ground Units parameters questions

As above, just few quick questions for you experts :yes: :

1. Armortypes:as I understand composite, ceramic, layered etc. armor types have not been implemented yet. So if I want to get T-80's or M1A1's armor values as realistic as possible should I use the type STEEL and then multiply values to adjust for lack of chobham etc.? What multiplier over real thickness values would be realistic, x1.5, x2?

2. Rangefinder and ballisticcomputer - what do these values correspond to? M1A1 from the US armor pack has them set to 6 and 4 accordingly, while T-80BV for SF2 has these values at 9 and 9? Surely something is strange there?

EDIT: because of my english it may be confusing - I know what's a range finder and a ballistic computer, just wondering how should I interpret/assign their values :blush2:

Thanks in advance,

Michal

Edited by SFP1Ace

1) Armor values for that M1A1 were set "back in the day". I believe the standard protection factor for reactive armor is 600 MM. Both NATO and WP forces designed their guns, and armored their tanks to that level of protection, during the 1980s. I set my M1A1 units up with 600 MM armor values on the turret faces, and fwd portions of the tank hull.

2) Range Finder and ballistic computer values are arbitrary. A vehicle that sports a LASER range finder would have an appreciably higher setting, than one that relies on a basic optical sight. FYI, I set my M1A1 to "10" for both the range finder and ballistic computers.

In the end, tanks are no more than targets in this series. You'll find that Mavericks, rockets, and rounds from a GAU-8 easily pierce even 600 MM of armor, in SF2E.

Cheers Fubar512! Youre right especially since the tank's top armor is the thinnest? No wonder that even A-10 30mm gatling can pierce it from above. And now that I know that the rangefinder and ballistic computer values are arbitrary I can make sure that the ground battles between Dhimar and Paran armoured divisions gonna be somewhat realistic, without T-80 outsniping M1A1 :biggrin:

EDIT: And I should know that SF2 is about jets, not tanks, but still I wanna get the details right if its within my reach.

Edited by SFP1Ace

The other problem is that the M1A1 value was set lower in range compared to the T-72. I found out during a CAS mission in Afghanistan, so I adjusted the values because a T-72's main gun couldn't shoot farther than a 120mm smoothbore. So while the above is true, the 120mm has to be longer ranged than the T-72, etc.

The Abrams in the ODS mod were complety revamped, armor-wise when we released it. Armor also changed to TITANIUM, as it's MUCH stronger than steel. Right now, the M1's will take 3 direct hits from a T-72 before brewing up.

Didn't do anythigh about the gun, however.

Don't forget the allowed armor types:

wood

glass

aluminum

steel

titanium

that's all we're given. Obviously, 25mm of titanium is MUCH 'thicker' than 25mm of wood.

I can post the sections with the values, if anyone is interested, and don't have ODS,

wrench

kevin stein

Wrench I would be grateful if you could post this. Then I could adjust the values for T-80 accordingly to keep things somewhat realistic. :good:

Nevermind, I've just downloaded whole ODS package :smile:

You WON'T be sorry!! :biggrin:

wrench

kevin stein