Sign in to follow this  
Rickitycrate

Need Computer Tech help

Any advice is appreciated. As I am using my laptop to run OFF BH&H I would like to move my WWI simming to a desktop pc. Money is short for a new rig and I was just given a Dell Dimension 2350. It may not be worth much bother toward running OFF eventually. I think I need to upgrade the graphics to a GeForce 9500GT and increase the ram to 1G. Currently it gives a virus spyware warning and seems to not run any programs. I get an exe. file missing message. I am not computer smart. :haha: I am thinking I should do a system recovery and try for a clean XP install. If anyone cares to advise me I can supply more specs and photo's if that helps. It is missing the sound card too. :dntknw:

Did some more checking, I may need to doa 9400 1G card. I don't know if this is a PCI or a PCIe. I need to figure that out somehow.The service tag is DPC6521 I guess checking with Dell should help, right? I wonder if I could run IL 2 if I increase the ram to 1G and upgrade the graphics to a Nvidea 8400GS?

Edited by Rickitycrate

Also, I am unfamiliar with XP. Should I run XP on this sucker or something else? Still researching.

Don't know if they keep records that long, best you can hope for is AGP

Scroll down this page at the bottom is what to look for:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...6&CatId=318

Also back then 1.5Ghtz was considered fast

Did he include the speakers, mouse, keyboard, monitor ?

Hi uncleal, I got everything but the monitor and soundcard.

Being ignorant I do not know wht AGP stands for. I do see PCI cards available 512 and 1G.

This is the one Dell recommends. http://accessories.dell.com/sna/PopupProdu...89&price=60

Edited by Rickitycrate

Yeah, I did suspect that, hehe. Hey sometimes rain is a good thing. Seems there are no AGP slots.

Edited by Rickitycrate

Maybe I can help you, Dell does have very fast mobo's but are limited in OC and upgrading. If it is a AGP slot it should be still no problem here, there are good aftermarket ATI cards for playing OFF3. 

But first download SIW to determine your system, http://www.gtopala.com/ get the free version.

PCI slots for sure. I spoke with a local geek and he reaffirmed what Uncleal said and as I suspected. Crapola doorstop. Of course the geek went on to try to build me a $800 gaming rig but funds are lacking thses days so no go. Still have my good laptop to OFF with so I am good. Thanks for your help and advice guys.