Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Possible to tune down the torque?

Feel that the torque is a bit exagerated, I'm using the Peter new FM, all set to HARD, so, is possible to turn down the torque for the planes and still use the rest of the HARD features? Hope is possible to qut the torque effect editing something in the DATA file.

Possible?

WWI rotarys had huge amounts of torque, in fact Peter01's torque is not high enough for the rotary's to really be historical. If you want, go into your XXX_Data.ini and under the engine section, look for MomentOfInertia and lower it and see what happens.

WWI rotarys had huge amounts of torque, in fact Peter01's torque is not high enough for the rotary's to really be historical.

Really? And how you take off? Even with Peter01's FM I'm having serious problems during the take off runs, my plane always try to kill me during the take off, the wing dropping to the ground and the plane flying in every possible direction but the one I want. Ok, maybe is a problem of training lack, will continue a bit with this torque.

Thanks!

Torque was a real problem in these machines. Especially with rotary engines where you not only had torque but gyroscopic effects of a mass of metal whirring round!!

Also there was no trim to set to aid on take off. Couple that with wind effect and take off was a real nightmare.

When I learnt to fly *@"* years ago I was told that an aircraft was designed to fly. Not to take off or land which is why both activaties are the most dangerous parts of flight.

I find with this sim it is best to anticipate the torque effects on take off and try to "catch" the aircraft early to hold it on course and reasonably level.

You start the game with your throttle on off, then you increase it, with Peter01 setting the blip switch set at 95%, you have to keep blipping the switch at the begining to start rolling. That way you can counter the torque with your RUDDER as you are moving down field. You also use the rudder to counter the torque in the air too as in reality.

In reading the book "Flying the Old Planes" written in the 1973, the author states that he sweat profusely every time he flew any of the rotary planes because they were so "hair raising", but exciting. He was a very experianced Hollywood stunt pilot and all of these planes were actual restored WW1 planes, so they had the true WW1 flight characteristics. Remember the Camel (the 130/150 hp versions) torque was so strong that it killed more pilots than the enemy did because of it's torque.

Edited by Panama Red

What is the blip switch?

I'm learning to fly Light Sport aircraft ( under 450kg ) and Torque is not a serious issue of course you fell it when accelerating or decelarating, but nothing really serious

The rotary engines did not really have a throttle like the inline engine does, as a result, they used a kill or "blip" switch to cut the ignition to the cylinders to slow down. Go here and watch this YouTube video (titled: From flying coffins to gladiators of the sky) and you will get a lot of great background info (they talk about the blip switch specifically about 4:10 into the first part), but the whole series is very good:

Stratos

I learned a trick from an old master (probably Tailspin... :salute: ).

For high torqued rotary engined a/c, you need to get your tail up off the ground as fast as possible with a little down elevator so you can get your air speed up at start of the takeoff roll. Give it lots of left aileron to keep the right wing tip off the ground. If the wing tip touches the ground, the a/c explodes in a ball of flames - not a good thing. Control your direction down the runway with the rudder peddles. Once you get past stall speed, give it a little up elevator and off you go...

Until I got my coordination of all these elements down pat, I crashed and burned quite a lot. Of course, autopilot solves a lot of takeoff issues, particularly getting airbourne. LOL :yahoo:

OlPaint01

From what I've read, IRL, engine torque on takeoff is compensated for by opposite rudder input. Once aerodynamic forces take over the effect of engine torque is reduced. In game increasing torque tends to make takeoffs nearly impossible. The problem being as in all flight sims you can't "feel" any forces as they begin to act. You are using visual cues only. Anyway as PR suggests you can reduce engine torque in the Engine section of the aircraft data.ini by making MomentOfInertia= closer to zero. Its important to remember that these planes were unbalanced in their control forces, had no or very rudimentary trim control (those that did usually had only elevator "trim "and that was set on the ground), and many required constant attention by the pilot to simply fly straight and level...let along coordinating controls during manoevers. Additional forces such as engine torque was just something that had to be dealt with by the pilot using control input alone.

Edited by Tailspin