Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

It's Time To Play,"What's My Plane" !

WWI German aircraft glass-tube inclinometer, glass triangular tube with fluid bulb, same as exhibited at Musee de L’Air.

An inclinometer or clinometer is an instrument for measuring angles of slope (or tilt), elevation or inclination of an object with respect to gravity. It is also known as a tilt meter, tilt indicator, slope alert, slope gauge, gradient meter, gradiometer, level gauge, level meter, declinometer, and pitch & roll indicator. Clinometers measure both inclines (positive slopes, as seen by an observer looking upwards) and declines (negative slopes, as seen by an observer looking downward). Often times, these instruments are used to indicate the yaw or tilt of an aircraft.

The inclinometer was equipped on Zeppelins.

Edited by Rickitycrate

Blimey, Rikitycrate... you da man!

Whilst I was exercising my ignorance looking for this I came across this awesome RC SE5 build. I'm linking it here because there's some interesting information on weathering of use to the skinners here at the OFF forums... one of whom has been known to frequent this thread :grin:

Dej, "the man" has not said I was right, so I'm probably wrong. I got tired of looking tho.heat.gif I saw the SE5 site but did not check it closely as I found the same pic indicating it was German. I'll check your link now that I am relaxed and await judgement. Thanx.

Jim, you MUST be right - it all sounds so great and detailed.

I didn't even know which search word to use here.

Since I used bracket, clamp, clip, yoke, holder and retainer - I didn't get anywhere near.

Well done, Sir!

Well folks, if I am being cast as "da man" in this scenario then da man says, "Rickitycrate is correct!" The object is the ever-useful and oft overlooked inclinometer, found in a fair number of WW1 aeroplanes and air ships alike. If I had one handy right now it would show that this Wild Card has tipped in your favor Sir. Two more points to you Rickitycrate. smile.gif

The contest standings as of this moment are:

Olham, 20 points

Dej, 19 points

Rickitycrate, 14 points

Red-Dog, 12 points

Bullethead, 5 points

Duce Lewis, 5 points

Luftace, 5 points

Burning Beard, 4 points

Check Six, 2 points

rhythalion, 2 points

JohnGresham, 1 point

Shrikehawk, 1 point

TonyO, 1 point

zoomzoom, 1 point

Stay vigilant, there will be more to come.

Cheers!

Lou

Hey, Lou - here is one for you, Sir! (no price for that one - just for the fun, I'm sorry).

If you find out the name of this unit, you will know also, where they where stationed.

One hint: they where not in France nor in Belgium - and they where on an island.

Have fun! And please, everybodey: this one is for Lou ONLY, okay?

Edited by Olham

I happened across the pic of the inclinometer during that sewing machine/coffee grinder mission a couple of challenges back or I would have had no prayer.

Alrighty then Olham, I have not seen that photo before but I am going to guess it is the German seaplane base on the North Sea island of Norderney. I am further going to speculate that it was taken about the same time as this photo, which was snapped at the same location in October of 1918:

If you look closely at both photos you can see that the large hanger looks pretty much identical in each and has the same little fitting above the eave at the far end.

Cheers!

Lou

Oh, Olham I just realized you ask what unit these belonged to as well. I am going to say the Starboard Watch Naval Flying Unit.

Cheers!

Lou

Very good, Sir! The German name was Seeflieger Norderney, but I just found it's English name too,

and so it shall be accepted. The picture is from the nice website http://www.jasta11.co.uk/

Great, that you had another pic, showing a fighter craft I rarely saw in photographs - could be the

Siemens-Schuckert D I, which was built after the successful Nieuport 11; so it must be an "old" craft

here already. Do you know a site with more info about that Staffel?

Cause: they where only 8 kilometers away from where I was born and grew up, but I had never

before heard of them, until I found this picture.

Edited by Olham

Yikes...I missed another one! Oh well....I'm using the "Blind Squirrel" participation proceedure anyway. I may not win....but I'll score once in a while anyway!grin.gif

Cool non-contest pics by the way guys. Some very interesting things in those shots if you look. I've never seen so many Albatros W-4's in one place...or even at all! Very nice. I'm guessing those are w-4's. Always thought an RC version of one of those would be cool.

ZZ.

DING DING DING !!! WILD CARD PHOTO !

The first to correctly identify the aircraft shown, the grand plan that had been devised for its use, (but never implemented in WW1), and what exactly is streaming out the back of the torpedo as if it were jet-propelled, will be awarded 2 bonus points. You must be spot on with all answers to win.

Good Luck!

Hopefully you won't miss this one zoomzoom. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Hi Lou it's a A Sopwith Cuckoo releases its deadly cargo In June 1918 the Admiralty sent the prototype of the Sopwith Cuckoo, the T.1to East Fortune for evaluation against the Blackburn Blackburd and Short Shirl for a torpedo-dropping aeroplane suitable for squadron service. The Cuckoo was the preferred type and was largely constructed by Blackburn at Brough in Yorkshire, who designed the depth setting mechanism for the torpedo slung under the fuselage. By July 1918, crews were being trained for a daring mission proposed by Admiral of the Fleet Sir David Beatty. The aircraft carrier HMS Argus would launch her Cuckoos against the German High Seas Fleet at anchor on the Jade River at Wilhelmshaven.

To train the crews in torpedo bombing techniques, No.1 Torpedo Training School was set up, this was re-numbered 201 Training Squadron in August, the Fleet and Torpedo Pilot Finishing School was also formed but moved to Leuchars, near St. Andrews the following month. The Royal Air Force's first torpedo-dropping squadron, 185 Squadron was declared ready for service at East Fortune with the Cuckoo for operations from HMS Argus, but disbanded on April 14 1919. History has shown that the Great War ended before this risky operation went ahead, this mission was the model for the successful attack on the Italian fleet anchored in Taranto Harbour by aircraft carrier based Fairey Swordfish torpedo bombers on the night of November 11th 1940.

The stream behind the torpedo is a red dye for tracing its track in the water

The Sopwith T.1 Cuckoo was a British biplane torpedo bomber used by the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS), and its successor organization, the Royal Air Force (RAF). The T.1 was the first landplane specifically designed for carrier operations, but it was completed too late for service in the First World War. After the Armistice, the T.1 was named the Cuckoo.[1]

Planned use

Throughout 1917, Commodore Sueter proposed plans for an aerial torpedo attack on the German High Seas Fleet at its base in Germany.[6] The carriers HMS Argus, HMS Furious, and HMS Campania, and the converted cruisers HMS Courageous and HMS Glorious, would have launched 100 Cuckoos from the North Sea.[6] In September 1917, Admiral Sir David Beatty, commander of the Grand Fleet, proposed a similar plan involving 120 Cuckoos launched from eight converted merchant vessels.[7] Training took place in the Firth of Forth, where Cuckoos launched practice torpedoes at targets towed by destroyers. Cuckoos of No. 185 Squadron embarked on HMS Argus in November 1918, but hostilities ended before the aircraft could conduct any combat operations.[

Torpedo - Wet-heater A further enhancement to this design was the use of water to cool the combustion chamber. This not only solved heating problems so that more fuel could be burnt, but it also allowed additional power to be generated by feeding the resulting steam into the engine together with the combustion products. Torpedoes with such a propulsion system became known as wet heaters

while torpedoes without steam generation were, retrospectivly, called dry heaters. Most torpedoes used in World War I and World War II were wet-heaters.

Edited by Rickitycrate

WOW! Like leopards that lay in wait for the kill, they strike! Red-Dog, as you were the first at lightening-fast speed with the correct answer the two points for this Wild Card are yours Sir. Very well done Sir. Rickitycrate, I'm afraid you were pipped at the post. And zoomzoom never had a shot at all on this one. smile.gif

Cheers!

Lou

Sopwith Cuckoo T.1

Grant Newman, Museum of Flight, East Fortune Airfield, East Lothian, EH39 5LF

The most influential type of aeroplane to serve at East Fortune in World War One was

the Sopwith Cuckoo, the first aircraft carrier based torpedo-dropping aeroplane.

In June 1918 the Admiralty sent the prototype of the Sopwith Cuckoo, the T.1to East Fortune

for evaluation against the Blackburn Blackburd and Short Shirl for a torpedo-dropping aeroplane

suitable for squadron service. The Cuckoo was the preferred type and was largely constructed by

Blackburn at Brough in Yorkshire, who designed the depth setting mechanism for the torpedo slung

under the fuselage. By July 1918, crews were being trained for a daring mission proposed by

Admiral of the Fleet Sir David Beatty. The aircraft carrier HMS Argus would launch her Cuckoos

against the German High Seas Fleet at anchor on the Jade River at Wilhelmshaven.

To train the crews in torpedo bombing techniques, No.1 Torpedo Training School was set up, this

was re-numbered 201 Training Squadron in August, the Fleet and Torpedo Pilot Finishing School

was also formed but moved to Leuchars, near St. Andrews the following month.

The Royal Air Force's first torpedo-dropping squadron, 185 Squadron was declared ready for

service at East Fortune with the Cuckoo for operations from HMS Argus, but disbanded on April

14 1919. History has shown that the Great War ended before this risky operation went ahead,

this mission was the model for the successful attack on the Italian fleet anchored in Taranto

Harbour by aircraft carrier based Fairey Swordfish torpedo bombers on the night of November

11th 1940.

The stream behind the torpedo is a red dye for tracing its track in the water

Lucky,i'd just refreshed the forum when you posted...... heat.gif

I saw it, when it was 6 minutes old. Six minutes - geeze, we are getting fast here!

Excellent work chaps! Well done Red-Dog. This 'leopard' wasn't paying attention. The gap's closing... I predict an exciting finish :clapping:

Lucky or not Red-Dog, the end result is a move up for you in the standings. You and Rickitycrate are now dead even and, as Dej so rightly notes, closing the gap.

The contest standings after this last Wild Card photo are:

Olham, 20 points

Dej, 19 points

Red-Dog, 14 points

Rickitycrate, 14 points

Bullethead, 5 points

Duce Lewis, 5 points

Luftace, 5 points

Burning Beard, 4 points

Check Six, 2 points

rhythalion, 2 points

JohnGresham, 1 point

Shrikehawk, 1 point

TonyO, 1 point

zoomzoom, 1 point

Cheers!

Lou

Alas it could be to little to late, i'am off following my other passion in life for four days starting friday ( golfing ) so will miss the end, but there's always next time..

or may be a internet connection at the golf club.............................. Salute.gif

That's what laptops are for. idea.gif

Ah, but can you fit one in a golf bag with a full set o' clubs. And how good is the Golf Club's wireless connection :grin:

Shame you'll miss the competition R-D. I'd vote for a 4 day hiatus if it wouldn't delay things too much and everyone else agreed... be a hellish queue four days hence though. :grin:

Of course, I wouldn't put it past Lou to have some fiendishly difficult 'photos as will take us four days to pin down, like the underside of an SE5 rudder bar or some such.

I wouldn't mind to have a 4 days break from Friday - Monday, cause my friends (always postponed) renovation

works on the house he just bought will be over the weekend, and I wouldn't have a connection there.