Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

It's Time To Play,"What's My Plane" !

Greetings All,

A couple of years ago I ran a contest in the WoV forums called "Name That Ace", and it was a rousing success and a lot of fun, and the winner received a very nice WWI Croix de Guerre. Due to that success, I've decided it's time for another such event along similar lines. This go-round it's called "What's My Plane".

Here's how it works. I will post a set of four different photos of Great War aircraft parts that you are all encouraged to try and identify, (such things as cockpits, guns and mounts, engines, markings, pretty much anything really). You are allowed to initially pick only one photo in the group to identify, and also give as much info on that part and/or the aircraft it belongs to, if you can. If after 36 hours of your first posting there are still photos in the group that have not been correctly identified you may choose one of the remaining to ID and give info on. And, if by some chance 36 hours after THAT posting there is still another unidentified photo, you may go again, until all photos in the group have been correctly ID'd and elaborated upon. Once that has occured I will then post the next group of four photos and the game continues. I will use the time stamp of the posts to determine when the 36 hours are up for each person's non-posting period. Make sure you don't post early, as it won't count towards your final tally or towards the prize that will be awarded to the winner, (and in the effort of fairness even a minute too soon will disqualify your answer). There will be a dozen sets of four photos each, for a total of 48, so you will have lots of opportunities to try and score points.

I will post a running tally of each contestant's score, and the one with the most points at the end of the game will be the champion. 1 point will be awarded for correct identification of the item in the photo, and another point for further indepth information about the item and/or the plane it belongs to, (the more info the better), and I will have final discretion as to the awarding of the points. Further, these points can be split between two different contestants. For example, if Widowmaker were to correctly devine a picture of a conical widget for an Albatros DVIII, and shortly thereafter Dej posted information about the company that designed and built said conical widget and/or a concise history of the DVIII, then they would each get a point. They would also each then be required to wait the 36 hours before posting another answer. This will not only provide a reason to those who know a fair bit about the part they are identifying to take the time to include that in their answer in an effort to get both points, but will also give incentive to others who may not know anything more than what the photo is to post an immediate answer in order to claim the single point. The first one with the correct answer and/or information gets the point, or points. I should also mention that an incorrect answer will still require you wait 36 hours before posting your next answer. So you can see there is a bit of stratagy involved here as well as your knowledge of WWI aircraft. You are free to use any reference sources you like including your favorite search engine as I believe any tool that helps people expand their knowledge to be a very good thing.

"OK Lou, but what is the prize we're after here?", you may be asking yourselves at this point. Why, nothing less than this beautiful reproduction of the most coveted of all Prussian honours, the "Orden Pour le Merite", better known as The Blue Max!

This is a high quality replica with the "W" maker's mark, indicating Wagner of Berlin. It is NOT one of the $5.00 cheap castings you so often see being offered. It will include the neck ribbon as well as the Oak Leaf cluster, however not the case as that is only in the photos to show the medal is of the correct size, (but then let's face it, you're not going to be keeping it in a case anyway). I have been shopping for the contest prize the last week or so and was lucky enough to nab this item on eBay today for a very, very, VERY good price. Just imagine how nice this would look hanging round your neck as you fly your BHaH missions for the Fatherland.

So there you have it. I will be posting the first set of photos right around 1:00pm Greenwich Mean Time, Thursday, August 20, (about ten hours from now). Good luck everyone, and have fun.

Now, let's get ready to play "What's My Plane" !

Cheers!

Lou

Sounds like fun, although I doubt I can recognize anything on the scale you're asking :no:

Vott? Ze "Pour Le Merite"??? I vill doo my verrry best!!!

Allzou, I do not know anny ozzer craft but mein lieber Albatros.

I musst go to ze library! I need all der bookz about der ozzer craft!

I vill read day and night! Muszt go now! ...

Bullethead, don't sell yourself short Sir. You may well be surprised at just how much about these old birds you do know from flying this sim.

Olham, I'm betting you will do well in this given your attention to detail Sir.

Get ready folks, a little more than an hour to the first set of photos. BTW, due to my work schedule I won't always be able to get back immediately after people post an answer, but just keep right on going. Those first with the correct answers will be awarded the points, and I will post that info as soon as I return to my computer.

Cheers!

Lou

Great idea Lou! Go for it!! Sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait to read the debates and detailed info. :good:

OvS

OvS: Sounds like a lot of fun!

Fun??? Ziss is not funny, Otto, ziss is der "Blaue Max", no less!!! Hackle! Drool!!

OvS, I hope you are not excluding yourself from the competition Sir. All are more than welcome to join in. The photos will start out relatively easy, but will soon get far more challenging as we move along. The prize is the Blue Max after all, so the winner of it must be worthy of such high honour.

And Olham, it is going to be fun, Pour le Merite aside. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Alrighty. Below is the first set of four photos for all you bravez les aviateurs to identify and expound upon. Remember that you will get the first point for correctly identifying what's in the photo and which plane it belongs to. So for example, for photo #1 you might state that it is the cockpit of a WhirlyGoGo W7, noting both plane type and model, (it is of course not a WhirlyGoGo W7, but you get the idea). In order to garner the second point you would then have to add another paragraph or two, (at least a 150-word description, with more being better), about the airplane and/or cockpit and/or significant features. If you quote or cut-and-paste from another's work please be sure to note your resources, (give credit where credit is due). Remember also that you then MUST wait 36 hours before posting another answer; anything earlier will not earn you points even if you're correct.

Here we go then. Everyone ready? Best of luck to all contestants.

On your marks, get set…let's play What's My Plane!

Cheers!

Lou

OK, I'll take the easy one :).

Photo #3 is a Fokker Dr.I.

Specifically, it's a replica of the one flown by MvR when he was shot down, serial number 425/17, but of course the red paint is a big clue there. The significant thing about this photo, however, is the lack of bracing wires between the wings. This was a feature of Fokker's designs, indicating the greater structural strength of the wings than was the norm at the time. They were the 1st steps toward cantilever wings of later days. However, the Dr.I had a history of wing failures anyway. Most of the early ones were caused by poor quality control at the factory, which let moisture get into the wing where it rotted the structure and dissolved the glue, and not to bad design of the structure. However, under high-speed conditions, the upper wing also generated more lift than its structure and its supports could stand, which caused a number of other accidents even after the quality control problems were ironed out. This caused the upper wing to fold up or break away entirely.

#2: N16 Possible Albert Ball replica as the cowl is painted in PC10 not sure though as the wings are see-through as this might indicate they are left painted in CDL.

... hanging at Imeperial War Museum or RAF Museum?

Engine type: 110 hp Le Rhone 9J rotary engine

Bullethead, very good Sir, nice answer, you have the idea, and you are spot on. However, be sure to mention what the part or section shown in the photo is as well, so you will want to say it is the undercarriage of the DR1.

OvS, sorry Sir, no on both plane and engine model.

You must each now wait 36 hours before posting another answer to any in this set.

Bullethead, you are the first to score in "What's My Plane", and you have 2 points. Well done!

Cheers!

Lou

Okay, let's go!

Picture No. 1 shows an Albatros DV cockpit (possibly that of the craft, the Smithsonian Institute

restored beautifully as "Stropp").

That it is a DV type, can be recognised by the pipe leading to the radiator - it is set off to the right

of the pilot, so that he couldn't get hurt by hot water, in case the radiator was hit.

Behind the window, we see the two 08/15 machine guns, which could be cleared by the pilot; and

the valves of the Mercedes DIIIa inline engine (180 hp).

On the control column, I miss the two thumb buttons inbetween the hand grips, for firing the machine guns.

Above the column, we see the Tachometer. At the right low, the handoperated air pump; above it could be

the fuel quantity gauge.

Left of the stick is a rollable map, it could be lifted up for reading.

Thanks, OvS, that you left it for me! Would have been the easier bit.

Lou, is it not unfair for the later coming? America gets up 6 to 8 hours after me.

So where are Rickitycrates chances to identify the Albatros, when I have already done it?

Shouldn't people rather PM the answers to you? Or did I miss something?

Edited by Olham

Outstanding Olham! Yes and yes. Two points Sir.

And not to worry Sir, I wil be posting the sets at different times of the day and night so that all should have an equal chances at answering.

Cheers!

Lou

Edited by RAF_Louvert

I would say #2 is the engine/cowling of a Nieuport 11 Bebe.

Very good Shrikehawk and JohnGresham, you each now have one point. Cheers! Lou

The tube between the two .303in (7.7mm) vickers machine guns is what is known as an Aldis sight. It was widely used on British built aircraft as a standard gunsight and had the advantage over regular ring and bead sights for the fact that it already had a fixed sight picture the pilot could use w/o having to properly align himselt w/ 2 different sight appertures while at the same time being affected by "g-forces" while pursuing an enemy craft. Many pilots also opted, as I understand, for the ring and bead sights anyways as an alternative to the constricted view of the Aldis.

Luftace, I imagine you are referring to the Camel cockpit in photo #4. Very good Sir, one point for you. That leaves only the point for the added info on the N11 engine photo and we will be ready to move on to the next set. Cheers! Lou

Number 2: Nieuport 11 known as the "Bebe". Powered by the 110 hp Le Rhone. Designed by Delage. Originally design to enter the Gorden Bennett Cup contest. First the British and then the French governments placed ordersfor this type. It was armed with a stripped Lewis gun, mounted in various ways above the center section to fire above the airscrew arc. The French units received the Bebe in the late summer of 1915. The RNAS used the is type as early as July in the Dardanelles.

Admirable design as it was the N11 was structurally weak. Several pilots were killed when wings failed while in the air. Original engine was the 80hp Gnome rotary. This engine was later replaced with the 110 hp Le Rhone as pictured which produced a much improved performance.

If that is not the 110 hp Le Rhone perhaps it is the 120 hp Le Rhone? It appears to be a 9 cylinder.

Edited by Rickitycrate

Very good Rickitycrate, and the final point in this set goes to you Sir. To answer your question, the Le Rhone shown in that particular N11 is reported to be the 80hp 9C Gnome. The aircraft is on display at the Musee de l'Air in Le Bourget, France.

Now then, the tally after the first set of photos is as follows:

Bullethead, 2 points

Olham, 2 points

JohnGresham, 1 point

Luftace, 1 point

Rickitycrate, 1 point

Shrikehawk, 1 point

Congrats to our initial group of contestants, way to go! Hopefully we will see even more names on the list after the next round.

I will post the second set of photos at 5:00am GMT, Friday, August 21, (which should be midnight my time if I did my math right this time). :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Can't wait mate.pitty i missed the kick off.....

Edited by Red-Dog

Number 2: Nieuport 11 known as the "Bebe". Powered by the 110 hp Le Rhone. Designed by Delage. Originally design to enter the Gorden Bennett Cup contest. First the British and then the French governments placed ordersfor this type. It was armed with a stripped Lewis gun, mounted in various ways above the center section to fire above the airscrew arc. The French units received the Bebe in the late summer of 1915. The RNAS used the is type as early as July in the Dardanelles.

Admirable design as it was the N11 was structurally weak. Several pilots were killed when wings failed while in the air. Original engine was the 80hp Gnome rotary. This engine was later replaced with the 110 hp Le Rhone as pictured which produced a much improved performance.

If that is not the 110 hp Le Rhone perhaps it is the 120 hp Le Rhone? It appears to be a 9 cylinder.

N.11 production packs an 80hp motor-- often a le Rhone or a Gnome. It's the 16 that has the higher horsepower motor from the factory. By many accounts it screwed up the flight characteristics.

Edited by SirMike1983

Thanks SirMike1983 for the added info on the Le Rhones in the Nieup aircraft. I was quite sure the N11's only came with the 80hp 9C, but wasn't 100% positive as there seemed to be a fair bit of swapping and experiment in these old birds.

Red-Dog, the next set will be getting posted about 6:00am your time tomorrow morning, so be on the look-out Sir. There will be one or two in the group I am sure you will recognize.

Cheers!

Lou

On this weekend, the forum may be offline for some time; please see

Rickitycrate's thread "Heads up, my friends".