Sign in to follow this  
Baldric

Awaiting arrival

Hi all,

Just ordered CFS3 and OFF and am looking forwards to getting stuck in. Currently also playing RoF, IL2, and BoBII. Have heard a lot of good things about this sim and its community, and I love sim flying and immersive campaigns, so it was a natural. Looking forwards to having a lot of fun! Thanks =)

Cheers,

Balders (aka Leaf85 on SimHQ)

Baldric is it, right then, welcome to our little aerodrome near the front. No doubt you've 'eard the bloody shells tormenting our lads in thier miserable trenches. Consider yourself fortunate to be amongst our humble ranks. You will at least have a chance for some fresh aire and a pleasant view of things. I see you've at least left the flight school with some flying time to your credit, humpf, we'll see about that won't we then. See the adjutant for your berthing station and be prepared to buy a round tonight for the next man to die. Oh and pray it won't be yourself.

Just back from a CAP and a great fight - welcome, Baldric!

(Did your ancestors work under a certain Blackadder?)

I'm sure you will like it here and maybe not fly another WW1 sim any longer.

The latest Super-Patch made a totally new sim of BHaH - don't forget to download

it under www.overflandersfields.com

Sorry now, but we have another mission before supper.

Thank you for the warm welcome :) Looking forwards to contributing :)

The name 'Baldric' is from the BA Goes Forth series- a bunch of us decided to use that as our clan theme back in 2002 when we formed 1st Hussars, a Battlefield 1942 group thats stuck together since then and branched off into numerous other games and sims (the H20, Hussars 20 Minuters Sqd, was our tag in Il2 for MP coop play). I picked 'Baldric' because I fps fight/sim fly like I imagined Baldric would- and I am pants at it, but love it nonetheless... :)

Alright Baldric,

Welcome to the bar - your round I believe!

Feel free to ask anything regarding OFF here, we're all relatively friendly, expect unlceal (inserts obligatory smiley at this point).

Be prepared to develop the WWI equivalent of the thousand yard stare.

Cheers, tots of rum ration all around

Baldric,

Please don't be offended if you approach us with "I have a very cunning plan!" and we laugh, ok?

:rofl:

Welcome, Balders.

Welcome aboard. You will find the boards really helpful when you start out, and you may as well practice using the other game discs for coasters now. They will have drink rings on them in no time. :rofl:

Really looking forwards to this. Meanwhile have been voraciously reading/viewing as much as I can- some really good stuff :good::biggrin:

<sips an extra frothy cappucino while waiting near the ready tent>

Cappucino, eyh? Flying for the Mafia - arhm, the Italians, I mean?

Don't forget to check the Tips & Tricks sticky, and you could print out the

command keys chart of HomeBoy.

I'm sure, you think that as soon as you're in the crate's cockpit, you will clobber the

enemy singlehandedly. Be prepared for some disappointments.

But the Pilot's log is huge - you may fill it with heroes. Dead heroes mostly. :drinks:

I'm sure, you think that as soon as you're in the crate's cockpit, you will clobber the

enemy singlehandedly. Be prepared for some disappointments.

But the Pilot's log is huge - you may fill it with heroes. Dead heroes mostly. drinks.gif

Cheers m8,

If RoF had a log it would show one pilot having 7 missions survived, with one promotion to Lieutenant, having two aerial kills--- 1x SpadXIII, 1xSE5a (credit not given for third, a SpadXIII, and fourth, a Nieuport 28, just didnt matter), solo'd one patrol due to Jasta mates all nosing in on take-off, survived one bad shot-to-hell landing, finally shot dead by enemy observer on Mission No.8, crashing near Vimy Ridge. Aircraft: Albatross DV

And then the log would be filled in with a myriad of single and double sorties all ending in either a) being BBQ'd in my cockpit, or b ) shearing off important flighty bits, like wings, at high altitude, or c) surgical lead lobotomy via enemy observers. And once setting my plane on fire by flying through an enemy balloons fireball.

Under no illusions- I'm pants ! :D Looking forwards to the immersion offered here :)

Edited by Baldric

Baldric, good man! You should have mentioned you fly on my side! A double welcome!

The Albatros DV wasn't superiour anymore really. When your sim arrives, you better try

the DIII, when it's new released. Excellent fighting craft!

Also the DII, when it's new (September 1916) - can shredder any Allied crate with it's

two MGs. To score in the DV or the DVa is more challenging; didn't try that since the

Superpatch.

For the DII, I recommend Jasta 2 or 5; for the DIII (early) Jasta 10 or 28w (if you want

action). If you want to start quieter, you should choose a defensive Staffel.

Thanks for the advice! Hugely appreciated. I love the earlier machines. Argh...this is the first weekend in a long time I've wished would go quicker o.O

CFS3 installed and patched. Just waiting now for OFF to arrive. Planning to start in 1916 if I can...Fokker Scourge and all that. <waits>.

Perhaps you try Jasta 1 then; they get the Halberstadt as early as August 1916.

Cause, the Fokker is okay to try, but no match to the Nieuport 11.

And Jasta 2 will get the Albatros DI in September 1916 - very attractive! :drinks:

Thanks Olham! My WWI knowledge base is a bit shaky so corrections/tips are very welcome. If I recall right, it would have been June-ish 1916 when the Jastas were first ordered formed and August 1916 for their first actions (?), so that would be a perfect start (can I start an ingame campaign then?).

Edited by Baldric

Baldric, you can start your campaign in a Jasta any time.

In the window, where you choose the Jasta/Squadrons, you can advance time.

There is a window showing the date. When you click the arrow to the right,

the date will advance. Also, the lines showing the craft they use, will change.

So you click, until a Fokker EIII is replaced by the Halberstadt, for example.

Then you join the Jasta.

WOOHOO! Its here! <happy dance>

<dashes off to install and flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy>

Welcome to the OFF skies Baldric. Have fun Sir and don't hesitate to ask for help as you go along.

But flying for the Hun? And your name is Baldric? So the poor old ostrich died for nothing. :grin:

Cheers!

Lou

Yeah, the poor old ostrich...

But don't let them irritate you, Balders - the Hun side is way more fun:

more gunzz, colourful crates, and you won't have to fly deep into enemy terrain.

(The mission may send you there, but you should press "advance time" then - the

German Jastas operated along the lines more or less - they didn't intrude

(as far as I know).

The Halb is a nice machine-- much nicer than I expected. My first pilot hasn't died yet, but has pranged the undercarriage twice now, and wounded himself on the emergency landing on the second mission. Back at the aerodrome now :D

Just want to say this sim has already exceeded my expectations, in so many ways, including this fine community. I'm so glad I found this (via SimHQ). THANK YOU! Salute.

I will likely also fly an RFC series of pilots and Escadrille du Chasse as well as Imperial Air Service-- just want to experience it all!

Olham wrote:

German Jastas operated along the lines more or less - they didn't intrude...

Oh I beg to differ with you old boy! I find the Hun damned intrusive when they come calling mid-afternoon and drop 5-pounders about my aerodrome just as I'm attempting to enjoy a cuppa' and an almond scone. Damned intrusive indeed. Which is why I make a point of returning the favour just about Boche breakfast time. :grin:

Cheers!

Lou