Sign in to follow this  
stingray77

Dave's RF-101G strange line at nose

I have Dave's RF-101G installed in my SF2V. There is a strange line going from the nose of the aircraft to the ground (see screenie). What is it/how to remove it?

I didnt make it, Erikgen did. I just helped out. The line means there is a hole in the model that needs to be filled. Only Erikgen can do that.

I didnt make it, Erikgen did. I just helped out. The line means there is a hole in the model that needs to be filled. Only Erikgen can do that.

Thanks for your reply - I'll wait and see, if Erikgen will take this up, or I'll address to him directly...

I should have a look on it soon.

Thanks for the hint.

Thanks Enrico.

Can anyone please tell me what causes this and how the file must be altered to eliminate a line like this??

Thanks,

Mike D.

If you read the top of the post it explains what causes it and how its fixed.

Sorry, I see no such explanation, just the inquiry about fixing it. I was looking for specific information as to why it appears. But that's O.K. thanks anyway. I'll try and figure it out for myself.

Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that. I have a few models (actually, most) with holes in them that don't do this sort of thing. And based on my very recent project (classified), I think I have figured out why.

The big thing is if the sim determines by looking at a mesh if it considers it 'convex' or 'concave'. Specifically, imagine taking all the 'holes' and doing a 'cap' on it, then look at the mesh and see if it consistently bows outward or inward.

If it bows outward, then the sim will say it casts a shadow. If it bows inward, then it will say it doesn't. Where the lines come in is if the sim gets confused because something is connected or welded were it shouldn't be. An example would be say if you had a mesh that had two elements that were completely closed (lets say two complete oil barrels on top of each other). If you then were to weld those vertices where the barrels join, the verticies might weld, and now you have shape with 2 internal bulkheads taking the same space in the same mesh. The sim gets confused, and the shadow gets messed up. The way to solve it is either make them two seperate meshes, or at least 2 separate elements.

When I've been approaching my model builds that way, I haven't had any problems with shadows.

FC

Edited by FastCargo

Thank you very much for taking the time, it is greatly appreciated. I'll try to keep this in mind.

Mike

I knew all that too. :lol:

• Like 1