Sign in to follow this  
stingray77

OV-10A Bronco shows "strange lines"...

There is a Bronco included in the "Expansion Pack v.2" to SF2V.

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems it is this one http://forum.combata...s&showfile=2865 by Fracture and enhanced by some other modders.

After a suitable shadow was added (before that, only the loads' shadows were cast, not the plane's) there are "strange lines" running from the plane (-s - when there are several planes awaiting take-off).

(See screeny on page 5 of the thread discussing the "Expansion Pack" http://forum.combata...46-page-80.html)

On a similar problem I had, it turned out to be a problem with the LOD that was able to get fixed rather easily - so my hope is, that this can be done, here, too.... drinks.gif

Any help is welcome.

If there is a file with a ".shd" extension, delete it. TW made more dynamic shadowing, whilst the .shd file in previous versions were shadow files for shadowing, which isn't needed anymore.

On a similar problem I had, it turned out to be a problem with the LOD that was able to get fixed rather easily - so my hope is, that this can be done, here, too....

It was made by Fracture who lost the max file back in 2005 and it sat on my hard drive until it was released in 2006, as is. So there is no fix for it.

So, I have to let go all hope.........blink.gif

Hum, I still need to see if that line is on the ground only (on the Vodoo it was carried on into the flight, when there was a constant line drawn from the aircraft's nose to a certain spot on the ground) - if yes: no more thoughts and ignoring it; if no: maybe then the older version without a good shadow might be the better solution.......

But thanks for your reply!

So, I have to let go all hope.........blink.gif

Hum, I still need to see if that line is on the ground only (on the Vodoo it was carried on into the flight, when there was a constant line drawn from the aircraft's nose to a certain spot on the ground) - if yes: no more thoughts and ignoring it; if no: maybe then the older version without a good shadow might be the better solution.......

But thanks for your reply!

There is no older version. They are the same. I just ported it over to the SF2 version via ini edits.

What I meant was the "older" version of the OV-10A data before the FixPack... (With only the loads casting shadows.) I still have them in a BackUp somewhere...

But as I saw that those lines are very rarely seen in flight (and seeing your "no-go's" above) , I "decided" to no longer care too much about that prob.

THANKS for addressing to this anyway!

What I meant was the "older" version of the OV-10A data before the FixPack... (With only the loads casting shadows.) I still have them in a BackUp somewhere...

But as I saw that those lines are very rarely seen in flight (and seeing your "no-go's" above) , I "decided" to no longer care too much about that prob.

THANKS for addressing to this anyway!

The OV-10A original release model never had .shd files. And, having .shd files is not a guarantee that a model would be entirely free of shadow anomalies. I've seen models exported to .lod, complete with 3dsMAX generated shadow files, that still had issues. If the original max file is unavailable, then you're SOL in as far as getting that fixed. :boredom:

If the "intense black smoke" that you're referring to, is visible through clouds and haze, then all I can suggest is that you check to see if it's attendent effect file has a positive z-buffer value, that can be reset to zero. You can also try the fix for "trees showing through clouds" in the knowledge base, and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then you're out of luck, as it would then be a global graphics engine issue, that only only the original game developer (Third Wire) can fix.

Edited by Fubar512
  • Like 2

The smoke and trees issue refers to the thread "SF2V Air & Ground Expansion Pack v. 2.0 - Beta" in "Mission and Campaign Building" - so I'll copy your tips and include them there....

Thanks