Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Albatros D III photos for skinners & historians

Just got this set of pics and want to show them to all, who like this craft. Perhaps our

professional skinners and historians know them already. Is there a story behind this?

Thanks for the interesting photos. The first one Mayer´s plane is already in OFF. Not sure about the others. Should need to find out first whos they are.

Just got this set of pics and want to show them to all, who like this craft. Perhaps our

professional skinners and historians know them already. Is there a story behind this?

Edited by Paarma

Thanks for the interesting photos. The first one Mayer´s plane is already in OFF. Not sure about the others. Should need to find out first whos they are.

Yes Ohlam... I agree... these are awesome! Thanks as always. Meyer is in MJF I (or II) as I did it myself, so he's in, but I have never seen this photo of his plane. Where did you find these... ah... never mind. There is an old saying... never look the gift-horse in the mouth. grin.gif

Just keep 'em coming!

OvS

PS... Paarma, if I have to guess, I'd say these were from the East Front as Switzerland is pretty far from anything an Alb D.III could have done from Northern France. Maybe they are from a Flik or a high Jasta number from the Southern area of France? The OAW D.III was still being used in numbers in those areas.

Man... imagine finishing the war, and flying that puppy home to your farm, and keeping it for yourself! I guess the high maintenance would eventually kill it... but it would be fun for a little while buzzing the back-woods. good.gif

Quite an aviator's romantic idea, OvS. Didn't Udet take an aircraft with him, together with a friend?

Well, I just checked it. They got two planes out of a hall in Bamberg, Germany, where these craft

where waiting to get shreddered by the Entente commission. The friend got a D VII, Udet took a

"Fokker Parasol" - I think, he meant a D VIII, I guess.

Just got this set of pics and want to show them to all...

Olham, you always dig up the most interesting stuff! If the commercial art business ever gets TOO frustrating, you have a great future as a research analyst.

Great pics Olham, thanks for sharing Sir. I am going to have to try my hand at painting an Alb soon, they are such a sweet-looking bird. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

They are most beautiful indeed, Lou, and although I could score higher in a Dr.1,

I can't fly any other bird for very long, and come back to them.

Here are some more pics I just found - don't ask me where.

Nice ones!!! I love the Fokker D.II, it really shows how badly the paint wiped away from the Castor oil dripping on the side of the fuselage. It's amazing how these planes ever flew. All you needed was a match, and instant shooting flare.

The Jasta 12 shot is nice as well. Open field, planes all lined up, bright sunny day... man you could alomst feel the sun on your face in that shot.

Great stuff. I wish we could identify that Alb D.Va. It's definately a higher Jasta, maybe in Italy.

OvS

OvS, that particular bird belongs to Jasta 58. Also, notice that it is fitted with the Siemen guns. smile.gif

Cheers!

Lou

OvS, Lou is right there

The Jpeg names for the D Va's are: Jasta 58-Albatros D.Va D.jpg, JASTA 72 ALBATROS D Va.jpg

Awsome pictures, Olham. The Albatross is, for me, the most enjoyable WWI warbird to spend a lot of time in- whether sim flying, or when I first got introduced to its clean lines in the ancient table top games "Fight in the Skies" (TSR, Mike Carr) or "Richtofen's War" (Avalon Hill, RCReed). For the Allies, my favs would be the Nieuport 17 and SPAD VII.

Thanks for sharing these- love seeing the old photographs- very inspiring!

Wow, and you even made your avatar with Albatros! Good idea!

I really cant say about these d.III´s where they could be. I havent seen those before... Good guess is probably eastern front.

Yes Ohlam... I agree... these are awesome! Thanks as always. Meyer is in MJF I (or II) as I did it myself, so he's in, but I have never seen this photo of his plane. Where did you find these... ah... never mind. There is an old saying... never look the gift-horse in the mouth. grin.gif

Just keep 'em coming!

OvS

PS... Paarma, if I have to guess, I'd say these were from the East Front as Switzerland is pretty far from anything an Alb D.III could have done from Northern France. Maybe they are from a Flik or a high Jasta number from the Southern area of France? The OAW D.III was still being used in numbers in those areas.

Man... imagine finishing the war, and flying that puppy home to your farm, and keeping it for yourself! I guess the high maintenance would eventually kill it... but it would be fun for a little while buzzing the back-woods. good.gif

Good to know thanks. So the dva second above is from jasta 72?

OvS, Lou is right there

The Jpeg names for the D Va's are: Jasta 58-Albatros D.Va D.jpg, JASTA 72 ALBATROS D Va.jpg

That's what the picture's name says, at least.

Weathering par excellance!!

Fantastic pics Olham (sigh..if only they had Colour film in those days) :grin: