Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

WW2 Palestine, anyone?

Just a quickie reset of Gepard's Suez map... which'll give Veltro's D520 another place to operate from (along with several other Vichy aircraft, and of course RA and LW gruppe)

Now, I'm quite sure that some of these RAF stations aren't "real"; in fact I've removed quite a few of the airfields in Egypt, and changed the start dates for others (bir tamahada is 1945, fer instance)

RAF Helwan is actually on the wrong side of the Nile, but I couldn't move as I don't have the correct textureset and cities inis (and really don't want to bother Gepard to see if he still has them), so can we live with a little geographical/historical innaccuracy?

Not doing a whole lot of 'retargetization', but it's getting a small enhancement. Still working on the movements ini (trying to figure out GA routes against Damascus and Amman). As this is a Gepard Map ™, I'm reusing some of his items from the BoB terrain -so expect to see RDF and Freya stations. Just for grins, doncha know!

Anyone has any info on proper RAF stations (other than having me move them, as I can't reflatten), please pass it on!

BTW, did you know that author Roald Dahl was the first allied flyer to land at Ramat David? Well, it wasn't actually an airbase yet ... just a cleared field! Mafrag and Amman were both RAF stations, built in the 1930s! The things you find when googling stuff!!

wrench

kevin stein

Lovely!!! Go on with this!! Another front I still need is the GB/Norway, with the Coastal Command/RAF against Luftwaffe/Kriegsmarine with Fjords as background. Maybe a backdated on the currently Norway map. Very exciting, is it? :drinks:

Could also be used in First EAgles as well for operations against Ottoman forces (sorry PB!), with some smaller modifications (ie: removeal of the large airbases, and replacing them all with Runway3) Some renaming, of course, and editing of the nations and targets ini would be needed to backdate it even further

I've even given some consideration of 'assembling' all the stuff in the terrain folder into it's own cat file, like the DAT did with WoTimor. This could convievebly replace the cat pointer line, and allow for usage in ALL the 3W series sims. As pretty much EVERYTHING in a terrain cat is availalbe in all other terrin cats, excepting for FE. That would eliminate that issue. Although I'm a bit unclear on the 'rights' to do so (everything from the desert cat would need to be packed into the Palestine.cat -builidng lods, bmps, tgas, etc. Tiles aren't an issue; they've been "out" for a very long time)

But for the most part, for WW2 players, using the cat pointer line takes care of it all. FE players can do the same thing -- all aftermarket terrains work in FE, as long as you have one of the Original Three ™ terrains in the FE terrain folder.

---

The Norway map could be made usable, but it far, far tooooo small.

A new map would actually be better, with Northern UK, North Sea and Norway, then trying to adapt the preexisting one

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

Forgot to mention, the German army FINALLY gets a little arty support.

(well, they DO work! mod of Geo 88 Flak 36 into 88 Pak 43)

wrench

kevin stein

Awesome as usual! I Know what you're saying about googling - sometimes you get pulled miles off course! Salute.gif

Edited by jet_spud