Sign in to follow this  
The_Black_Knight

Crash To Desktop (CTD) after changing FOV

All,

After updating to Patch 1.32g, I seem to be getting CTDs to the main OFF screen after extremely long load times, every time I change the FOV from the default settings (23 / 16).

OFF Manager is rebuilding the FOV correctly. The missions start correctly (with slightly longer load times), but after several minutes of flying I get a crash.

Something just does not seem right here.

I want to set the FOV to match my resolution (1920X1080), which should be 29 horizontal / 16 vertical based on perspective FOV equation math.

The widescreen ratio 16:10 including with the workshop options, is not quite right (but close) at this resolution (16:9) using my 55" Sony Bravia KDL-55V5100 LCD TV.

The OFF manager definately is correcting the perspective right, but it cannot seem to "hold fast" the setting without crashing.

There is no problems with frame rate either, it remains "steady state" at 32 FPS, based on my CFS3.xml settings.

Is there a bug in the FOV implementation?

Could the developers include a 16:9 perspective in a future patch release?

If I go back to default settings, everything is completely normal after rebuilding the perspective and start the missions.

Anyway, kudos to the developers for at least including the option, as you all have really squeezed every bit of lemon juice out of this flight sim engine.

The_Black_Knight

"Track IR, how did we ever live without it?"

Using it does not crash out the game normally but maybe you are trying to view too wide a view on the vertical - this will put much more strain on your texture memory, and memory. Too many objects or textures in view maybe. Try 25:14 ?

16:9 is what that is we don't need to add support it already is supported ?

Otherwise check your memory and hard drive for errors.

I did some more investigation, and have solved the problem.

The OFF manager is required to rebuild the files a bit more than I suspected, than just the FOV changes, as the model textures reported by program are required to be reset as well.

It is not done completely, when the FOV changes (my original thought)

You are right, this does put an additional enormous strain on GPU and texture resources.

In order for this to be corrected, you have to run the game first on a "free flight" mode and elminate the program from requiring to rebuild more than just one plane at a time.

Once this is completed (it still takes longer than a "normal" (23/16) flight), the program for scenery, weather, clouds will load under normal time in a combat flight with enemy aeroplanes.

As a heads up, if you computer specifications are just beyond the minimal requirements, would never suggest attempting to change the FOV.

Under a full head of steam even my older GeForce 9800M GTS (1 GB video memory) is pushed to the limit at this resolution and FOV.

Thanks for the help.