Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

OT: A Harmonica in Carnegie Hall

Here's one for those who might mistake the harmonica for a lowly instrument:

While Buddy Greene may not be quite in the same class as Sonny Boy Williamson, Mark Feltham, or Junior Wells, (IMHO), he is definitely way up near the top. Watching that vid has inspired me to go dig out my old Hohner. smile.gif

Cheers!

Lou

Yes, seen this before, but very good! :good:

Absolutely AMAZING. The last song (which I can't remember the name) would be nice background music on an attack and retreat.

Good one! (Does he ever breathe?)

Absolutely AMAZING. The last song (which I can't remember the name) would be nice background music on an attack and retreat.

The William Tell Overture, by Rossini. It was used as the theme song for the Lone Ranger TV and movie series

This guy demonstrates virtuosity and dexterity with an instrument that normally is associated with the blues and folk music and it's pretty amazing he can get that sound out of such a small instrument.

Many composers have actually composed pieces for harmonica and it's amazing how many compositions have been transcribed for harmonica.

Heitor Villa Lobos (1887-1959) wrote a Harmonica Concerto in his later years, about 1950, and it's pretty incredible. I have a CD recording on the RCA Victor label of it with Robert Bonfiglio playing with the the New York Chamber Symphony, Gerard Schwarz conducting. If any of you are interested in this type of mucic, on a more serious level, this is worth getting.. really beautifully done.