Sign in to follow this  
daddyairplanes

Squadrons and SQTail tga's

what controls the tailcodes used by the squadrons? would i be correct in assuming that the squadron number xxx in the squadron list.ini matches up with the corresponding (aircraft)_SqTailL(or R) xxx in the decals folder? i have been working on using stock tga.s and bmps from WOE to make some of the historical schemes for Phantoms in SF2E.

i'm using gimp to change up the color and in the case of Seymour Johnson based birds the letters of the stock tga and then saving them in a folder with the decal ini looking for F-4D_75/Euro1/D/F4_SqTailL instead of the stock tailL. that way all codes are in one folder instead of many skins for the same scheme. it got me to wondering how the tgas are assigned in stock tho. appreciate any input on this guys.

btw i know the tanks are wrong on the vietnam wraparound it was late when i took the screenshot and i hadnt put the proper painted tanks in the folder yetdntknw.gif

DecalLevel=1 is for squadron markings/codes.

However, if used on a single skin, I always use them as 0, to ensure they actually show up.

IIRC, the squadronlist.ini has each squadron assgined a number, that matches the decal 'name'

wrench

kevin stein

thanks for the tip on decal level! tho not quite what i was asking it did make them look better. on that topic i wonder if the squadron markings are set to 0 then if im trying to add formation lights also i would set the decal level for that to 1 or 2 to make sure its above the lettering?

also how advisable is it to adapt the squadronlist.ini(saved in the Mod Folder of course not the system)? i am more into the wars that could have been in Western Europe and have no plans to get SF2V but notice many of the squadrons listed are vietnam based units. give the squadron/tga relationship i am thinking of changing up the list to represent more european based squadrons and stateside and gaurd units that would bolster NATO. so long as the modded tga's stay in a folder available for that skin and the squadronlist stays in the mod folder i cant see a prob but would like a second opinion before i start tinkering

You mean like slimer decals? Those most assuredly would be DecalLevel=0, so they show on ALL aircraft.

Actual WORKING light need to be added to the aircraft's data ini. Both in the SystemName= in the particular sections, and in the lighting sections (having added lights to all kinds of birds, this I know!)

Level 2 decals are sequential types, for serial/bunums, nose arts etc (just look at any of my WW2 type skins and you'll see)

Level 1 is squadron markings

Level 3 is kill markings

The decal tutorial (albeit from 04 or so) is around here somewheres in the D/L section. Fairly good explanations.

Not being fully up to speed on NextGen sims, I'm gonna guess that having squadronlist.ini in the Mods folder (Flight??? methinks) would give you correct list that shows on the dropdown in the Loadout Screen. I"m sure MigBuster or one of the real knowing NextGenners will correct me if I'm wrong.

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

again thanks for the tips wrench. i believe the flight folder is where the squadronlist.ini is gonna go since thats where i got the cat file from. but i pulled a copy out a month and a half ago and dont quite remember. i just wanted to make sure changing the established squadrons wouldn't affect the game too much but reading the squadronlist for NF4+ it seems all should be in order. as for the slimers i figure i'll hunt around what i have and put in the appropriate ini edit and tgas. bout like i've been doing on the European 1 and SEA Wraparounds here! would like to have something to share with all eventually but may hafta wait til i get home in january. thank you again for your help.

now will hafta postpone work starting tomorrow when everything for NF4+ is finally downloaded!grin.gif