Sign in to follow this  
Hasse Wind

German airfield under bombardment

I was flying as one of my French pilots this evening (Esc. 37, Nupe 11, March 1916, Verdun) and when returning from a balloon busting mission I flew over a German airfield that was under intense bombardment from French artillery. I forgot to check the name of the field, but it's located on the eastern part of the Verdun bulge. It seems the front has moved a little too close to the field and it has been abandoned, because I didn't receive any AA fire when I flew quite low over it. They forgot to take those four Rolands with them as they fled, though.

It was really cool to fly over the field and watch the bombardment. I was actually feeling lucky to be a pilot and not one of those poor bloody infantrymen down below my Nupe in the trenches. Nothing beats OFF and its immersion! :good:

Maybe some of our hot-headed German fighter pilots from Siggi's new DiD campaign would like to be stationed on that field? Would that be more exciting than flying boring two-seaters? :grin:

Nupe11_Verdun_1916.jpg

Well for the Germans it would make take off and landing a bit more interesting if nothing else... also might get in the way of that little thing called sleep... :rofl:

Could be the right field for Bullethead and his Jasta 4 boys to move in.

Not for me, thanks - I need my sleep!

Hello,

great sceenshot ! The landscape is unbeatable, in OFF. Now where's the money for my new gtx 285 ...

Greetings,

Catfish

That is a really good shot. Anyone know what's up with the roundels? I can sort of see them on the Noop...are they painted over or something, or is it a custom skin?

That is a really good shot. Anyone know what's up with the roundels? I can sort of see them on the Noop...are they painted over or something, or is it a custom skin?

Some of the early French Escadrilles actually painted over the roundels for camouflage, or as a primitive tactic to confuse the German pilots.

Some of the early French Escadrilles actually painted over the roundels for camouflage, or as a primitive tactic to confuse the German pilots.

Also the French carried roundels under the top wing as well as under the bottom wing. As this was doubtless skinned by 'Rabu', my guess is he's showing the 'see through' of the underwing roundels through the top wing surface.

You'll this effect on other allied craft, such as the SE5's, RE8's, BE2's and Camels.

Thanks for the information. I figured it must be the case, but didn't remember seeing anything like that in Phase II.

Here's yet another example of some amazing attention to detail in this sim....good job guys!:salute:

The Nupe 11 looks pretty and is a joy to fly compared to most other planes of that early period of the war in the air. I can dance around the Eindeckers with the Nupe. Unfortunately that Lewis gun firing over the prop is not as good as the Eindecker's synchronized Spandau, but in a few months I'll be getting the N.17 with a proper synchronized Vickers. If my pilot lives long enough, that is. :cool: