Sign in to follow this  
JimAttrill

TrackIr doesn't track at all

installed TrackIr 3 with vector expansion and the TrackIr 4 software yesterday (Thanks to Mark windingman Andrews!). The first problem I had was at the start of a sortie I was looking at the ground and possibly upside down as well. I got over that by changing cockpit views.

Today it is still doing the same, which is a minor annoyance, except that however much I move my head nothing happens. I have good tracking - the green led is on, and the TrackIr has recognised OFF because the blue light is also on.

Maybe I have a faulty profile with nothing in it or something like that?

I must say that the profile handling software is not easy to understand or use at all, and the manual doesn't help either.

Any help would be appreciated. I must have done something wrong because it worked yesterday (although I got shot down a few times and crashed a lot due to disorientation and confusion between joystick movement and head movement. This will get better with time, I am sure).

Eventually I resorted to my normal trick of fixing things with a sledgehammer.

I uninstalled and reinstalled TrackIR - no change.

I uninstalled and reinstalled OFF and the patches up to 1.32g.

It now works when it feels like it.

Possibly the reason is that light from behind is affecting the tracking - even though I get three nice green splodges on 'tracking'. I have a blind on the window behind me, and it may let a bit of light in - it is a sort of horizontal cane roll-up thing. Also the sunlight here is very high in UV when it is not behind a cloud.

I find flying with virtual cockpit a bit confusing when TrackIR is working - as there is no reference it is hard to know whether you are looking down or diving, and the same on all axes. I then tried a Bristol Fighter without virtual cockpit but couldn't see where I was going - the pilots must have had x-ray vision or something. Maybe I should try an FE2b as the view is unobstructed and it can fly quite well.

Or what other aircraft would be good? The Be2c is no good because of the head of the observer gets in the way. Maybe if I could toss him overboard it would be better as he's no use for anything else :grin:

Hello,

don't know whether that works with TrackIR, but isn't there a toggle mode from Cockpit to gun, to instruments and back view ? I have shot down quite some Albatrosses and Halberstadts with my BE2c that way. It is hard, your sight is caught only between the cabane struts, and the exhaust, but fiddling around a bit with it works. The split second an enemy plane drifts into sight, you can fire, and even place some deflection shots, if not like with a real fighter plane.

Shot11-04-09-14-58-03.jpg

Greetings,

Catfish

Edited by Wels

Hi Jim,

Quick question,

Do you have a Saitek throttle quadrant by any chance?

I have one and when I first boot up with Track Ir it doesn't work until I move the center control up and down.

Then all of a sudden my Track Ir is working perfectly! Weird, but whatever works!

Dale

Playing at night has fixed the problem. I have now also programmed the 'centre' command as joystick button no 2 and that helps when I get a bit confused about whether I am diving (using the joystick) or looking down (using TrackIr). At the moment I am still crashing quite regularly but shall get used to it with time of course.

Hi Jim, i've only just got my trackIR and found that when in cockpit if you hit the bracket keys a couple of times you sit further back in the seat which helps get a better perspective of where you are.

Hi Jim, i've only just got my trackIR and found that when in cockpit if you hit the bracket keys a couple of times you sit further back in the seat which helps get a better perspective of where you are.

Hi Folks,

My biggest problem is that I get air-sick when I use Track-IR. Takes about 10-12 minutes and then I get all the symptoms. I kid you not :( ! I have even thought about taking a scopolamine patch before I get in the cockpit. Sigh.

I will have to try again soon, but it makes me feel ill just thinking about it. So your problems are not that bad in the scheme of things!

Regards,

George.