Sign in to follow this  
crepitis

Mapping key commands to joystick buttons

I have tried searching the forum for an answer but cant seem to find one, ( Im not just being lazy, honest grin.gif )

Can joystick/keyboard mapping be done in OFF ? Or does it have to be done in the CFS3 interface ?

I have a CH Fighterstick and would like to substitute key presses for button presses, but Im not sure how to go about this.

Any help greatly appreciated, even a point in the direction of a relevant post good.gif

Edited by crepitis

I have tried searching the forum for an answer but cant seem to find one, ( Im not just being lazy, honest grin.gif )

Can joystick/keyboard mapping be done in OFF ? Or does it have to be done in the CFS3 interface ?

I have a CH Fighterstick and would like to substitute key presses for button presses, but Im not sure how to go about this.

Any help greatly appreciated, even a point in the direction of a relevant post good.gif

crepitis,

You certainly can assign your joystick buttons to replace keystrokes. I have a Saitek X-52, and there is software that maps the joystick buttons and coerces them to emulate key strokes. If you have just "plug and play" CH joystick (ie you have no software for it), you can still do this. I might be a bit rusty at how to describe it, but I'm sure others can help if I can't help you adequately.

First of all, enlist a "Joe Bloggs" pilot, one that you don't care if he is accidentally killed. Then go to quick combat, and get him sitting in an aircraft on the field, waiting to start up his engine. Press "Escape". A drop-down menu will appear on the upper right of the simulation window. Go to "Controls" and click on that.

Another drop-down menu appears. There you have the Commands and the keys assigned to them. PLEASE remember to write things down before you adjust them, so that you can return to the default if things go pear-shaped.

Now, I assume that your guns work, so we won't have to assign the command for that. Let's try to assign a joystick button to make you jump into "Virtual Cockpit". Scroll down that list on the drop-down menu until you reach "Virtual Cockpit". Move across to look at the keyboard funcion that emulates this command. You'll find there isn't one! Ok...assign it to some UNUSED keyboard stroke (I use "V"). Move your cursor across there and type in "V". Now you must save this file. Press "Save as.." and a menu drops down. It will have "Mine" as the default. You MUST save it as this filename "Mine.xxx" without the quotation marks, and I'm sorry, but I can't remember the file extension (and I'm at work, so I can't look it up...I'm doing this all from memory).

OK, so now, theoretically, hitting "V" in game will cause you to jump into the Virtual Cockpit. Now you have to teach the button on your joystick that you wish to assign this command to how to emulate a keyboard "V". I'm unsure how to do this using a CH Joystick. You might have to move the cursor across to the command and press your selected button. Unfortunately I don't own or use a CH stick. I hope this helps guide you on the right track. Check these threads out for a start. (Try doing a search for "Joystick Profile").

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/46079-x52-pro-profile/page__p__331026__hl__joystick%20profile__fromsearch__1&?do=findComment&comment=331026

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/41943-joystick-profile/page__p__295652__hl__keyboard%20mapping__fromsearch__1&?do=findComment&comment=295652

In the first thread you can see my software for the X-52 joystick mapping. If you don't have a similar set-up for the CH stick, you may just have to re-assign those key commands to a button (ie when it asks you which key you wish to use, press your joystick button instead). Have a good think about which keystrokes are used for COMBAT. Other key presses are complex key strokes, but not used in COMBAT (such as mixture cut-off, a vital command used to STOP once youve landed...like I said, it's vital). That used three keys, and should be assigned a single button IF you can afford one. The X-52 has about 18 buttons that you can use, and I have another 18 on my programmable keyboard, but the commands to be used in COMBAT, when you can't afford to take your eyes off your enemy, and therefore need to have those commands programmed into a button you can FEEL FOR. Have a look at what commands people here think are most needed on the joystick in those couple of threads. Hopefully someone with a CH Joystick can help you further.

One more thing...a very, very useful guide to print out that lists all the key commands from our (sadly MIA) friend here, Homeboy (he "went West" and we haven't heard from him in a while. Hope he's doing well, and they are looking after him).

http://snomhf.exofire.net/data/OFFcommandkeys.jpg

Print that out and keep it handy until you can either remember them, or have them assigned to a joystick key.

Good Luck, mate.

Hope that all helped.

Thanks Check six , that was a reply above and beyond the call of duty, NotWorthy.gif , Ive added this to my "favourites" so that I can refer back to it.good.gif

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail.

Uncleal, thanks for the tip re' the Knowledge base, I have been trying to digest as much as I can from there, but sometimes stuff must slip through my "net" , I need to get my printer fixed and start printing off the "good" stuff happy.gif

Thanks Check six , that was a reply above and beyond the call of duty, NotWorthy.gif , Ive added this to my "favourites" so that I can refer back to it.good.gif

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail.

Uncleal, thanks for the tip re' the Knowledge base, I have been trying to digest as much as I can from there, but sometimes stuff must slip through my "net" , I need to get my printer fixed and start printing off the "good" stuff happy.gif

My pleasure. And yes, that's what I did. I searched through the "stickies" and found some good stuff that I might try out at home, and printed them out (some you might have to cut and paste the relevant bits 'cos there's all sorts of Off Topic comments in between the good stuff). So you got it right. Look through the stickies, see what other people's concerns are, find some good ideas etc, print them out. I got a folder full, but that's at home.

If you can't find anything, or don't know anything, the helpful gents here will be happy to give you a hand. Just ask.

Crepitis,

Since you're using a CH Fighterstick, you'll want to add CH ProPedals...can't fly tail draggers without them. The ProThrottle is also very nice, but a bit of overkill for BHaH. You could then create profiles with CH Control Manager (found here: http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6200) or modify the folowing profile made by Bonz at the CH Hangar (http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6204). Using CH Manager is a little intimidating at first, but the main advantage of loading profiles is that you don't have to tweak BHaH controls at all.

BTW, Thanks, Check Six. Good info.

Something else to add to the wish list (and hide from the wife blink.gif ) BirdDog grin.gif

Are the CH pro pedals compatible with the CH Fighterstck ? They seem to be associated with the CH Flight Yoke, where I Presume (probably wrongly) that there is a facility to connect them together.

There doesnt appear to be anywhere on the fighterstick to connect the pedals, can they be plugged into a seperate USB port and still be compatible ?

Edited by crepitis

Are the CH pro pedals compatible with the CH Fighterstck ? They seem to be associated with the CH Flight Yoke, where I Presume (probably wrongly) that there is a facility to connect them together.

There doesnt appear to be anywhere on the fighterstick to connect the pedals, can they be plugged into a seperate USB port and still be compatible ?

Yes the CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals are all compatable the CH Manager Software merges all ch input devices to work together.

I have a CH Fighterstick, Ch Throttle Quadrant, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals. They work great especially with TIR. There are many ready made profiles for OFF, CFS3, IL2 and many other games available at the CH Hanger Webpage.

You can plug the CH devices into your available USB Ports. I use an external Powered USB Hub to plug all my CH devices.

Edited by deadangle

Hi Crepitus,

Of course you could buy a used set of CH Pro Throttle or CH (normal) Throttle and a CH Combatstick or CH Fighter Stick dirt cheap (Gameport versions) from ebay, and convert them to USB. All you need is a laser printer (at your boss's work place), a soldering iron, download my pcb patterns and Circad 98, and a bit of patience. But the hard work is done by others and me! PCB's not up on my website yet, but to whet your apetite try: http://www.x-simulat...240.html#p20023

I am for the first time just now sitting in front of my version of CH Pro Throttle PLUS F-16 Fighterstick PLUS CH (normal - non-pro) Pedals. The whole lot maps out at 40 buttons (8 hats + 8 independent buttons) more or less, with 5 axes immediately available. The original version when it came from CH as a gameport kit was riddled with ghost buttons and odd button behaviour. This new setup is much more stable and actually the chip will cope with 8 axes and 64 buttons (some of which can be set up as real toggle switches and, even better, rotary switches for tuning your ... radio ... and other modern equipment for when the next big war comes along.)

The CH mechanicals appear extremely well made, now that I have pulled apart some quite old gear, and as long as they continue to make the pots, or if I can get that little brass bush off the thread so I can use non-CH pots, then I will be right for the next 30 years!!!

I actually have another two complete sets waiting for the treatment: one Combatstick & Pro Throttle Gameport, and one Flight Stick F-16 and CH (standard) Throttle Gameport version. But I would need to make two more sets of Rudder pedals. I gave my last home-made set to my son to get him addicted.

Regards,

George.

P.S. The flash photos make it look very dirty and unattractive. I need some mood lighting rather than flash, and perhaps some mild detergent to clean the dust out of the tops of the bases. My babies look lovely to me.

Edited by GeorgeBoles