Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

HITR effect file without distant bulletimpact effects

for all who want to have more realism in BHAH, now with HITR effect file

there are two files:

effects and effectsnotracer

if you drop the "effects" file into C:\Programmes\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields you won't see any distant bullet-impact effects anymore (brown dust and small particles etc). only if you hit the engine you will see sparks. nonetheless if you are close and damage him, you'll see debris flying off, but no effects from further distance anymore. you will also see bulletholes in canvas and oil or petrol leaks etc. as it was before.

if you use "effectnotracer", you'll find out the same realism as above but additionally no tracersmoke. all you have to do is rename "effectsnotracer" into "effects" and drop it into C:\Programmes\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields. with that you won't see neither bullets nor any tracer anymore. so you have to get really really close and aim well.

personally i'll use the second feature till mid 1917, then i'll go back to the above effects file because tracers then became common among scouts.

please first backup any file you will overwrite, so in case something goes wrong you can put the original files back, but as long as i have tested no problem occured.

original effectfile belongs to OBD and the devs, i just tweaked a little bit to add more realism for all hardcore realism guys. together with the new buffeting effect the files (especially the notracerfile) it really seperates the men from the boys.

creaghorn

Thanks Creaghorn, I'm going to give this a try. It would be great to see these also officially supported in the OFF workshop settings, so you could turn them easily on and off as you like.

The next add-on or P4 maybe? :grin:

Guys just for your info the distant effects (and many other effects) were hugely reduced and cleaned in HitR - many changes in fact, so maybe try out the new stuff first guys?

i tried the HITR vanilla effects and IMHO it's still too visible, though smaller and reduced. in my version i didn't change anything besides taking the distant clues (bulletimpact effects) completely away. you won't see anything from distance to the point something breaks. then you'll see smokepuffs, debris etc.

nonetheless all other and new effects remained as they are.

Yeah no problem Creaghorn, I'm just pointing it out for others - we have to compromise some, some people want none, some want lots, some in between - so we do what we believe is best.

Just saying to the others to maybe give it a go first and see before modding.