Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

UltraPack 2.0 Available for download

I havn't modded the Aircraft in anyway just downloaded 2.0 and left it alone... Anyway not too much of an issue as at present I am flying as a Romania pilot again... That IAR-81 aint fast but its a great little dogfighter...

I did not say you modded anything. I meant that the mod creators did not mod any of the stock planes because the "IL2 police" would eat them alive (the online IL2 flyers).

The people who have access to the "classfiles" (where the FM's, DM's and Weapons data are stored) would immedately know if anything was changed and let everybody else know that the stock planes have been tampered with, so those planes are untouched.

Too bad they didn't mess with weapons as MGs are so weak in this game compared to the cannons, though. Unless you're flying against the gas cans with wings in the Pacific, I find I stay away from planes without cannon and as soon as I use it up I RTB, regardless of how much MG I have left because it's so ineffective by comparison.

I find that having weak MG's helps with your accuracy for example forces you to gun for the cockpits...

Too bad they didn't mess with weapons as MGs are so weak in this game compared to the cannons, though. Unless you're flying against the gas cans with wings in the Pacific, I find I stay away from planes without cannon and as soon as I use it up I RTB, regardless of how much MG I have left because it's so ineffective by comparison.

Actually in some WWII fighters (armed with light MGs and guns) MGs were used almost only for targetting (you shoot MGs, if they hit the target, then you can hit him with the gun). Anyway, it's been months since I my last flight with something that was not a Bf109, so I might have had the same problem with MG and simply forgot it (Or perhaps I never had the problem because of my poor shooting accuracy :oops:)

The best way to get frustrated fast in Il-2 is to intercept a Ju-88 or He-111 in an early Hurricane with the 8 .303s.

The best way to get frustrated fast in Il-2 is to intercept a Ju-88 or He-111 in an early Hurricane with the 8 .303s.

Yes, but this is something that actually happened in the real Battle of Britain. Many german bombers returned to their bases after being hit many times due to the lack of enough killing power of light MGs.

Edited by shotdown

Of course it is, but the converse is not true. I've been in a P-47 and had a 109 shoot me up with its cannon and I've been taken down in mere seconds, while there are stories of them taking multiple 20mm hits without being shot down.

So the problem is the relative strengths of the MG vs cannon, not the absolute strengths. If in reality the MG was effective to X degree and cannon was say 3X, the game shouldn't have cannon be 10X!

Of course it is, but the converse is not true. I've been in a P-47 and had a 109 shoot me up with its cannon and I've been taken down in mere seconds, while there are stories of them taking multiple 20mm hits without being shot down.

Were you shot down by human opponents or computer AI? I mean, with the snipper class shooting acuracy of AI planes you might have taken much more hits in a few seconds than were possible from a human enemy. Anyway, I remember reading somewhere that heavy bombers could be shoot down with 20-30 "light" (20 mm) cannon hits or 3-5 "heavy" (30 mm) hits, so I'm not really sure a thunderbolt (6-7 tons against 30 tons of a heavy bomber) could take mor than 5-6 20 mm hits and keep flying.

I only fly against AI, I despise H2H, so that could make a difference because indeed they seem to have laser sights and homing bullets.