Sign in to follow this  
hgbn

Lucky this went like it did

Much worse. Tidbits I've heard: He hid the fireworks in his crotch and got 3rd degree burns (serves him well) and we knew the guy was trouble and were looking out for him.

So now in addition to our shoes, we're going to probably have to take off our f***ing pants. He boarded in Nigeria apparently, plane made a stop in Amsterdam. That's where the security problem is, you could probably bribe a airport guard for a single dollar and get onto a plane with whatever you want in Nigeria. Simple solution: On flights from backwardsass countries that make stops, force another security check once the plane lands in a developed country where security can be trusted, before continuing.

What I don't get: His father's a retired banker. They have money, why would a rich boy take up a jihadi mantle?

Stupidity and stupid decisions are not limited by anything except possibly the laws of physics.

FC

I have no idea, but I just guessen, I say this goes alot deeper. The Saudis who performed the wildly successful 911 Massacre -- a very complex long term misssion -- were fairly wealthy I've heard. My take is the richer guys who could make and keep wealth, and not just some banker's son, are the *only* ones able to perform complicated missions that require intelligence and experience in planning projects. Any poor Joe can go on walkabout wearing bombs under his panties, but something like an airplane attack needs competent people. That shoe bomber guy a few years back was a poor Joe I think, and the way he performed his mission, he should of become a night comedian, without quiting his day job. I get the feeling the classical airline bombers of decades back were either wealthy, or had significant position of authority -- you get to high echelon in an organization by being crafty. Complex missions require craft.

Perhaps they are scraping the bottom of the barrel, as the self-made wealthy guys don't want to do the complex missions. They want to live. Sounds dam smart to me.

Should of = Should have

I can't believe I did that. I always say it that way, but never type it, until now.