Sign in to follow this  
Duce Lewis

Format C:\

Home or Pro if it's 32 bits will only recognize only 3GB, not 2,5 and not 4GB.

There is no difference between those versions at that level.

If you had XP PRO (64bits) that would be different. It could recognized above the 3GB.

And yes you've a problem with your RAM. 2,5GB???

You had initially 2GB (1x1) and then upgraded to more 2GB (1x1)?

Or you've installed new memory 4GB (2x2)?

So a XPS 710?! Good choice, but might not be the easiest to install a XP. :grin:

It seems to be Nvidia, I'm not sure if you'll need an extra diskette with the drivers for your SATA controllers.

If I could advise here, best to use the CD/DVD recovery that come with the computer and installed the Home edition.

Unless you've a XP Pro 64 bits it won't reconignized above 3GB. And, trust me, probably you won't need more than 3GB in a XP.

Now if you want to make an upgrade than think in Win7 (64bits), and probably it will be easier to install; only some applications and old hardware won't work with it.Before take the leap be sure that anything you connect to your computer has support do Win7 (64bits).

But first you've to see if there is no problem with your RAM, or any incompatibility between the new RAM and the old RAM or even between new RAM and your motherboard.

Please answer to the questions I've already asked.

Did you upgraded your RAM? How?

EDIT: What kind of pop-ups? Or kind of messages?

Edited by Von Paulus

Clean install every time with format of the drive. It's the only way to do it. The supplier thought we were doing something wrong, but after a few days trying to install XP they also gave up and changed the hard drive. It gave the messages as above in that it thought there was a virus on the drive etc. As the drive had just been formatted this was pretty surprising. I also tried other XP installation disks and they all failed in the same way. So XP was spotting something wrong with the drive, and changing the drive fixed the problem for ever. If it quacks like a duck....

The strange thing is that Xubuntu installed fine. I didn't try any other OS.

After installing Xubuntu, did you tried to install XP again?

Did you made a Format low level or at least Zero the HD?

Home or Pro if it's 32 bits will only recognize only 3GB, not 2,5 and not 4GB.

There is no difference between those versions at that level.

If you had XP PRO (64bits) that would be different. It could recognized above the 3GB.

And yes you've a problem with your RAM. 2,5GB???

You had initially 2GB (1x1) and then upgraded to more 2GB (1x1)? - Yes

Or you've installed new memory 4GB (2x2)?

So a XPS 710?! Good choice, but might not be the easiest to install a XP. grin.gif

It seems to be Nvidia, I'm not sure if you'll need an extra diskette with the drivers for your SATA controllers.

If I could advise here, best to use the CD/DVD recovery that come with the computer and installed the Home edition.

Another step forward here

The XP Home Recovery CD worked

I was able to get past the Windows setup screen and am performing the CHKDSK /R

It'll take some time

Unless you've a XP Pro 64 bits it won't reconignized above 3GB. And, trust me, probably you won't need more than 3GB in a XP.

-Arrgh! Box doesn't mention 64 bit

Now if you want to make an upgrade than think in Win7 (64bits), and probably it will be easier to install; only some applications and old hardware won't work with it.Before take the leap be sure that anything you connect to your computer has support do Win7 (64bits).

But first you've to see if there is no problem with your RAM, or any incompatibility between the new RAM and the old RAM or even between new RAM and your motherboard.

Please answer to the questions I've already asked.

Did you upgraded your RAM? How?

EDIT: What kind of pop-ups? Or kind of messages?

Usually opens my Internet Connection Window

Edited by Duce Lewis

Still, did you or not did a memory upgrade?

Sorry, Initial perchase with 2 Gig

Upgraded with additional 2 Gig

So it's 4x1MB?

The same brand? Same speed? Are all Dual side or Single side?

You shouldn't have 2,5GB reported in your Windows. You should have 3GB.

That might means that your PC is not working well with the upgraded RAM. Something is wrong.

If you want to make a RAM test use memtest86. Download the ISO and create a CD with this image. Then boot your PC with this CD.

Edited by Von Paulus

So it's 4x1MB?

Yes

The same brand? Same speed? Are all Dual side or Single side?

You shouldn't have 2,5GB reported in your Windows. You should have 3GB.

That might means that your PC is not working well with the upgraded RAM. Something is wrong.

It was a while ago but I remember verifting it

I'll see if I can dig up the details

If you want to make a RAM test use memtest86. Download the ISO and create a CD with this image. Then boot your PC with this CD.

I'll try this after the CHLDSK finishes

It's taking awhile but still making progress

The 160 G HD took about 1 1/2 hr so this may be a long while

Does it make a difference if I download the RAM test from my Vista Laptop?

Does it make a difference if I download the RAM test from my Vista Laptop?

Nope.

You can also download CPUz ( http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php ) and install in Windows.

When you run it you'll see something like this: http://esaof.edu.pt/blog/pcurgencias/files/2009/02/cpuz-11.png

I need that you tell me what the program report in the Memory tab the Type, Size and Channels#: http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2006/07/28/shuttle_xpc_sn27p2/shuttle-am2-cpuz4.gif

I need to know in SPD tab what the program report in each slot (there are 4) what are the Module size, Max Bandwith and Manufacturer: http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2006/07/28/shuttle_xpc_sn27p2/shuttle-am2-cpuz5.gif

I'm leaving the computer now but I'll come back later

Nope.

You can also download CPUz ( http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php ) and install in Windows.

When you run it you'll see something like this: http://esaof.edu.pt/.../02/cpuz-11.png

I need that you tell me what the program report in the Memory tab the Type, Size and Channels#: http://img.tomshardw...e-am2-cpuz4.gif

I need to know in SPD tab what the program report in each slot (there are 4) what are the Module size, Max Bandwith and Manufacturer: http://img.tomshardw...e-am2-cpuz5.gif

I'm leaving the computer now but I'll come back later

You're Aces Mr. Von P

Really outstanding level of support and help you're giving me

Greatly appreciated M8! drinks.gif

I'll download the CPUz and memtest86

No more results likely today, this CHKDSK is really chugging (70% complete on step 4 out of 5?)

Tried hitting the F6 and came up with"System could not determine the type of 1 of your mass storage devices"

Gives me an "S" Option to specify additional SCSI Adaptors or CD ROM Drives etc.

Not sure where to go here

You then need to provide the drivers on for your controller via a FLOPPY DISK, that's the sucker with XP. Check your motherboard manufacturer's site, there's usualyl drivers and some are to be put on a Floppy disk for initial setup.

Also often a USB floppy disk drive will work there the first time it looks, and read it, then later on in the install it looks again then cannot see the USB floppy disk drive :( (in that case you need a real old floppy disk drive LOL).

So you can slipstream drivers into the XP install CD (basically build a new XP CD with the disk controller drivers in already (plenty of websites for that out there).

That's why I like Windows 7 now it's either built in or can even read drivers from USB stick during install.

No more results likely today, this CHKDSK is really chugging (70% complete on step 4 out of 5?)

Step 4 and Step 5 are the steps which take more time. Step 4 will check sector by sector all the sectors that hold data, while step 5 will check the sectors non-used.

In the end it will give you a report.

Typical report:

Volume Serial Number is B1AF-AFBF

72214528 bytes total disk space

73728 bytes in 3 hidden files

30720 bytes in 12 directories

11493376 bytes in 386 user files

61440 bytes in bad sectors

60555264 bytes available on disk

2048 bytes in each allocation unit

35261 total allocation units on disk

29568 available allocation units on disk

Look at the number in bad sectors. If it says 0, then you don't have any bad sector.

Probably it also reports that errors were found and were corrected.

The box or at least the CD must mention if it is a 32 or 64 bit. I bet it's a 32 bits. If it is no need to install XP Pro you won't have any benefit. Lets concentrate on your RAM, the value 2.5GB, that's the odd thing. It would be nice if you could attach a dxdiag.txt file in here.

To create a DxDiag : http://wiki.aeriagames.com/shaiya/index.php?title=Support_-_Common_Diagnose/Repair

Part of my daily work (in 20 years) is to troubleshoot. This is a area that I'm familiar. That's all. So don't worry, I'm just glad to be helpful Duce. :good:

You then need to provide the drivers on for your controller via a FLOPPY DISK, that's the sucker with XP. Check your motherboard manufacturer's site, there's usualyl drivers and some are to be put on a Floppy disk for initial setup.

Also often a USB floppy disk drive will work there the first time it looks, and read it, then later on in the install it looks again then cannot see the USB floppy disk drive :( (in that case you need a real old floppy disk drive LOL).

So you can slipstream drivers into the XP install CD (basically build a new XP CD with the disk controller drivers in already (plenty of websites for that out there).

That's why I like Windows 7 now it's either built in or can even read drivers from USB stick during install.

Thanks Pol,

No Floppy drive on board and I don't have access to an external off hand

Win 7 is looking beter and better now LOL

Just dipping my toe in the water again, but I once had problems with a hard drive failing on me, and CHKDSK report never said the same thing twice. Sometimes it would say it found errors, appeared to fix them, but it didn't and I still had problems.

Do you have any old hard drives kicking about? Size won't matter (within reason). Format one of those and trying using it to install your Pro. It won't fix you up with a solution, but you might learn if the diffulty is in the install process you're following, or a hardware issue with your main drive.

I'm a complete lightweight when it comes to such issues, but I know from experience that finding the problem is a huge part of fixing it. If it is a hardware issue, Win 7 might kick you out too.

Edited by Flyby PC

After installing Xubuntu, did you tried to install XP again?

Did you made a Format low level or at least Zero the HD?

YEP - same problem. The format was done using the XP installation disk program. I had to take Xubuntu off before the laptop went back to the suppliers as they would have blamed that for the problem.

I have done innumerable installations of XP pro on many different machines and have only come across this problem once, and it was fixed by changing the drive, notably on a brand-new untested laptop. I have asked all my friends about this and they have never had this error on a new installation.

Fired up memtest86 and let it run overnight

Came up "Pass Complete No Errors" - 4 times

Flbyby, No extra hardware around

Only my laptop , now that's acting funky

Edited by Duce Lewis

First the OS problem. Your computer causes an error when you try to install with your Windows XP Pro CD, because that CD lacks the drives of your SATA controllers. In order to overcome this you'll have to use an external or internal floppy drive like Pol wrote.

You don't need to do with your Dell recovery CD because that CD has already the drives in question.

Further you don't need the Windows XP Pro, because in fact your system is a Windows XP Media Center Edition Professional, so it's a XP Pro. Forget the other CD, hope you didn't spent too much money with it.

Your second problem, the RAM one... After burning the few cells brains left in the last 2 hours, I didn't come to a final conclusion.

I'd need your PC to make some tests.

I've never witnessed a problem like your,or at least with so much discrepancies in terms of the physical memory you've installed and the one reported by Windows. I'm pretty sure there is no problem with your memory. CPUz recognizes 4GB only Windows report differently.

First let me say you're not alone I've read in the last 2 hours more people complaining. For me the cause is a combination of factors (mainly hardware). It seems people with Nividia reports it more often, but I think it is also very dependable of the way BIOS addresses the memory.

The best explanation: http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/XP/Q_23626068.html

Another links : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-232752_12_0.html , http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245921_12_0.html

Some times the link of the www.experts-exchange won't appear with full page. Google with "Why will my pc not recognize 4 gig ram? It only recognizes 2.5 on a Windows XP Pro 32 bit." follow the first link. A lot of answers appear in the bottom of the page specially from people with Dell and similar problems.

Try to look into your BIOS and see if there any Memory Remap function or any Memory Shadow options, try to play with it and see if there's any difference.

I don't see how a 64bit system would solve this, only more memory.

I wonder also if you use a different graphic card if the same discrepancies would maintain.

In this case I'd say try a 64 system (Win7) and see if the available memory is still 2.5GB.

Fired up memtest86 and let it run overnight

Came up "Pass Complete No Errors" - 4 times

Flbyby, No extra hardware around

Only my laptop , now that's acting funky

Duce,

Memtest 86 is good at finding physical and memory/controller problems, but isn't foolproof. It sounds like the memory you installed is okay, but your problems may be due to being "4-up", that is, all four memory slots are populated. Oftentimes you will have to declock your memory due to the increased electrical load on the memory controller when you're 4-up (good discussion on this here: http://www.corsair.com/_appnotes/AN806_Memory_Upgrade_Resource_Guide.pdf). It depends on your particular BIOS version and motherboard.

I had a similar problem last month. I was replacing the SATA I drive and upgrading the memory in an old Socket A machine I built 8 years ago. Memory was same brand, same Samsung chips, same SPD timings, the BIOS and memory controller supported having all three memory slots populated, and everything passed Memtest86 with flying colors. Unfortunately, XP didn't like the memory configuration and the only way I could avoid BSODs was to populate 2 memory slots only.

Hope this isn't off topic...von Paulus is providing good support here.

Duce,

Memtest 86 is good at finding physical and memory/controller problems, but isn't foolproof. It sounds like the memory you installed is okay, but your problems may be due to being "4-up", that is, all four memory slots are populated. Oftentimes you will have to declock your memory due to the increased electrical load on the memory controller when you're 4-up (good discussion on this here: http://www.corsair.c...ource_Guide.pdf). It depends on your particular BIOS version and motherboard.

You're right. I have already thought about that. Sometimes when you've all the slots filled with RAM, strange things may happen, specially if you've a overclocked machine. But usually you've BSOD's (Blue Screen of Death), freezes or CTD's (Crash to Desktop). Duce is not reporting this.

It is also a good experience to try with 3 slots instead 4 and see what the system recognizes.

But I've the feeling that this is a combination of factors, chipset, graphic cards and above all BIOS.

I've seen in Dell support there is a BIOS update 1.4.1... is that your BIOS version, Duce?

Hope this isn't off topic...von Paulus is providing good support here.

No it isn't off topic. I thank your or any contribution from anyone.

Better two, three or more heads thinking than one only. :good:

I've already learn a few technical stuff in this forum.

I'm sure we are all trying to help each other in this forum.

Alleluia, the first forum where I don't find ego's war.

I'm not getting Blue Screens of Death or Crash to Desktop

Bios is v. 1.10.1.1.0

I looked at the BIOS but there don't appear to be any memory options

Checked the Dell site, here are the enhancements:

- Fixed CMOS clear after AC and Battery loss.

- Microcode updates.

- Added support for new processors.

- Fixed system hang with certain processors.

- Fix for some USB devices.

- Restore the 1394 GUID after a S3 resume.

- New RAID ROM 9.83

- Fixed an issue with the NIC being disabled during POST.

- Updated the expansion ROM Bar allocation code.

- Removed the code that reinitializes the processor thread count.

- Update to the EPP memory support.

- Improvements to the s3 resume times.

- Improved SATA Drive detection.

- Updates to the PCIE configuration code.

- Update to our internal USB diagnostics calling routine.

Should I upgrade?

There's only one BIOS upgrade on the site. Probably it's the last one. Maybe there were more before or maybe not. I'm not used to Dell.

Let's put in this way, if I were you I would certainly do it.

But I know the risks, and have already upgraded BIOS a lot of times; only once, with a Pentium II, things went wrong.

But it's your call. If something goes wrong, you know bye-bye motherboard.

Maybe it doesn't justify. Try all other things mentioned first.

Spotted this in one of the Post #43 Links

4745454b Thanks for all the help, I took out the old memory and just ran the 2 new ones like you said to, saw they were good. I then put all 4 in, updated my BIOS, then checked in BIOS, said I had Total Memory=3538944k=3.375G, and I am so ok with that. Again thanks for all the help. Have a good one.

Looks like the BIOS Update, or some BIOS Update, solved the problem for this gentleman

Think I've tried all suggestions so far

-Updated SP3

Ran

-CHKDSK/R

-DxDiag

-CPUz

-memtest86

Looked for but couldn't spot any Bios memory options

Anything else I've missed?

Spotted this in one of the Post #43 Links

4745454b Thanks for all the help, I took out the old memory and just ran the 2 new ones like you said to, saw they were good. I then put all 4 in, updated my BIOS, then checked in BIOS, said I had Total Memory=3538944k=3.375G, and I am so ok with that. Again thanks for all the help. Have a good one.

Looks like the BIOS Update, or some BIOS Update, solved the problem for this gentleman

I'm not sure if it's the same case. In your CMOS/BIOS what is the memory reported? Isn't is 4GB?

Think I've tried all suggestions so far

-Updated SP3

Ran

-CHKDSK/R

-DxDiag

-CPUz

-memtest86

Looked for but couldn't spot any Bios memory options

Anything else I've missed?

Remove all RAM, and place the two new RAM sticks in the same place where was the original RAM.

Boot machine, and take note of how much memory Windows report. It should be 2GB

Than switch off and add one more RAM stick. Put it between the two other sticks.

Enter BIOS and then Windows and check how much RAM is reported. Tell me.

If it's 3GB, then switch off and add the last stick and boot again; check again both BIOS and Windows.

Take note of all this values and report back here, please.

Another test you might consider is if you've two graphic cards in SLI mode.

If that's the case remove one and boot windows and see how much memory is Windows reporting.

Other suggestions, you know already, are the hard ones:

Try Win7 (64) and BIOS update.

Or.... buy yourself a new rig. Only this time don't buy Dell. Assemble yourself a new one. :grin:

I'm not sure if it's the same case. In your CMOS/BIOS what is the memory reported? Isn't is 4GB?

Remove all RAM, and place the two new RAM sticks in the same place where was the original RAM.

Boot machine, and take note of how much memory Windows report. It should be 2GB

Than switch off and add one more RAM stick. Put it between the two other sticks.

Enter BIOS and then Windows and check how much RAM is reported. Tell me.

If it's 3GB, then switch off and add the last stick and boot again; check again both BIOS and Windows.

Take note of all this values and report back here, please.

Another test you might consider is if you've two graphic cards in SLI mode.

If that's the case remove one and boot windows and see how much memory is Windows reporting.

Other suggestions, you know already, are the hard ones:

Try Win7 (64) and BIOS update.

Or.... buy yourself a new rig. Only this time don't buy Dell. Assemble yourself a new one. grin.gif

Running around quite a bit so I haven't been able to pay as much attention

I was on holiday last week so it was my only focus

Not sure on the BIOS memory report

I'll check the BIOS and do the memory swaps

Only 1 graphics card but I'll made the swap I'd been planning too (9800 GTX+) ...SLI heat.gif

I'll updateb the BIOS if necessary

I'm also leaning very heavily towards Win 7

Seems like MS got this one right and it should ease my problems

Thanks,