Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

SF2 destroyed aircraft ....

Whilst looking over some things, totaly unrelated, I noticed that you can assign destroyed models (well, duh,you'll say!) via a simple ini edit.

Say, like giving the MiG-15 the MiG-17s destroyed lod. Nothing to it; we all pretty much know how to add lines to a data ini... (or the Sabre, for that matter...it ain't perfect, but who cares? It's just a burning wreck!)

but what about aircraft that DON'T have them??? Adding the lines is, again, a no-brainer.

But where would one place said destroyed lod/bmp? In the main /Objects folder? the /Aircraft folder?

Just so you all know what I'm talking about, there are many -hopefully- usable destroyed lod/bmps in many terrain folders

for example: we've got Mustangs, T-Bolts, Warhawks -be a fair replacement for Yak 3/9/15-, FW-190s, and a host of others.

So, how can they be activated?? The don't work placed in the aircraft folder; nor in main objects. Is this something linked via MAX to the regular aircraft lod during assembly??

wrench

kevin stein

Ground Objects folder?

Since the destroyed.lods share the same cat file with all the other files that are specific to that aircraft, I'd say it's safe to assume that they'd be linked to the aircraft folder.

BTW....as long as you're using the default TW destroyed lods, why even bother extracting them?

The destroyed LODs go into the /Aircraft folder (NOT the individual aircraft folders). Like the old pilots used to be before the Oct 08 patch.

Found this out after some trial and error.

FC

Edited by FastCargo

Fub: they're the destroyed lods from the various WW2 terrains, for the static parked aircraft. Unfortunatly, most are prop jobs, but as a destroyed burning wreck, phhhfffftt... don't think having the exact shape is 'mission cirtical'

FC: so the path would be in the Mods folder, /Objects/Aircraft/***Dest.lod, yes??

wrench

kevin stein

Yep, you got it...don't even need a special naming convention or anything. I use the sim included bitmap for my destroyed LODs. Check out the T-38s or F-5B for how I did it.

FC

Could these be used to put a shadow on the ground? Not a self shadow on the aircraft, but just on the ground. That's all I want is a shadow on the ground. grin.gif

Could these be used to put a shadow on the ground? Not a self shadow on the aircraft, but just on the ground. That's all I want is a shadow on the ground. grin.gif

Totally confused...LODs shadow already if you're at 08 patch level or higher. Can you be more specific?

FC

Edited by FastCargo

Greg: aircraft will self=generate in 08/NextGens, if they don't have a SHD lod, by using this statement:

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=800

be advised, however, of some old birds having issues with the 'tractor beam black line to the ground' due to holes in the main aircraft lods

Also, some of the old SHD lods act REALLY odd in 08/NGs

One can always re=use a shadow lod from 06 level games that are similar in shape; I did this for an update on Pasko's Su-9/-11s, since their shape is damn near that of the Fishbed, I just pulled the Mig-21 shd, and dropped it into the various aircraft folders.

AFAIK, ground objects are set in the options panel, but severl GOs -tanks, ships, etc, need either the new style line, or the addition of shadow lods form 06 level game; easy enough to do!

Wrench

kevin stein

Greg: aircraft will self=generate in 08/NextGens, if they don't have a SHD lod, by using this statement:

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE

ShadowCastDist=10000

MaxVisibleDistance=800

be advised, however, of some old birds having issues with the 'tractor beam black line to the ground' due to holes in the main aircraft lods

Also, some of the old SHD lods act REALLY odd in 08/NGs

One can always re=use a shadow lod from 06 level games that are similar in shape; I did this for an update on Pasko's Su-9/-11s, since their shape is damn near that of the Fishbed, I just pulled the Mig-21 shd, and dropped it into the various aircraft folders.

AFAIK, ground objects are set in the options panel, but severl GOs -tanks, ships, etc, need either the new style line, or the addition of shadow lods form 06 level game; easy enough to do!

Wrench

kevin stein

Wow, started working FM's with Wolf257 before the 08 patch and just always set them to low since most ww2 aircraft back then didn't have any. With no ground shadow it was always difficult setting the trim. Just like CFS3, another 6 DoF FM, I have to do some hard maneuvering down low to set trim. It usually ended with "I wonder if I'm getting too low in this turn" ...blam grin.gif

So we not only get ground shadows (Flight Test thanks TK), but also self shadows on th aircraft. Amazing! Why am I always the last to know dntknw.gif .

If TK adds bump mapping.......

Now if I can just figure out how to get the old WW2 weapons to cast a shadow in SF2.

add the highlighted section to the weapons' main ini; example shown is the F-80 drop tank

[WeaponData]

ObjectFullName=160 gal Lockheed Drop Tank

ObjectDataFile=TANK160_F80_data.INI

[LOD001]

Filename=Tank_160_F80.LOD

Distance=2000

[shadow]

CastShadow=TRUE

ShadowCastDist=2000

MaxVisibleDistance=100

hey, I did't know either!! With thanks to 331killer bee and other NextGen weapons folks

wrench

kevin stein