Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

Book find

Okay was in a well known charity shop today dropping some no longer required items and have found a book called Bomber Pilot 1916 - 1918 by C.P.O. Bartlett. Its based on the Authors diary who was eventually a Squadron Leader in the R.A.F. It's about his time in the R.N.A.S. in the years noted. Will have a read through it and see how it reads and let you all know about it. Also has some photo's of Sopwith Strutters...

And the price for this was a grand total of £2.59 in hard back and in fantastic condition as well. Even if it only turns out to be an average read it would be rude not to have bought it.

Slartibartfast, that is a good little read as I recall, (been many years though). He flew the Strutters and De Havilland's if memory serves.

Well as my OFF Pilot is flying Strutters might be helpful... :yes:

I cant emphasise enough that some old charity bookshops are the way forward.

While on a trip to Canada with this summer, I went to visit the Canadian Air Museum, we got it opened up after hours for us, was fantastic, got a sit in a few of the aircraft etc. Anyhows, while in the shop they were clearing out the museum library. Found some good books, all for 1 canadian dollar, best for me is a fist edition Winged Warfare! Not bad for a dollar!

Cow

Slartibartfast,

I have a copy of "In the teeth of the wind" by C.P.O. Bartlett

http://www.amazon.com/Teeth-Wind-Story-Western-1916-1918/dp/1557503931

An excellent read (read the review on that link for a good idea). I recommend you keep your eyes open for that one too.

PS. Congratulations on the award for all the fjords around Norway. Outstanding work.

I had mentioned the paperback swap before. That is how I got my copies of Fighting the Flying Circus by Rickenbacker and Ace of the Iron Cross by Udet. Imagine my suprise when I received them and found out they were x-library from Selfridge Airforce Base. I just got a copy of Hostile Skies;A Combat History of the American Air Service in WWI by James Hudson http://www.amazon.com/Hostile-Skies-History-American-Service/dp/0815604653/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262702969&sr=1-7 on the paperback swap and 10 or so books about Beers of the World and Home Brewing. http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php I have now completed nearly 700 transactions on paperback swap and can recommend it. Most of the books I have received are hardcover by the way. Check it out maybe. You can do search without signing up.

Check Six wrote:

I have a copy of "In the teeth of the wind" by C.P.O. Bartlett.

Just so you folks know, that happens to be the title that "Bomber Pilot" was re-issued under. They are one in the same book. Also Slarti, I love the little fiddly bits around the edges as well. :biggrin:

Thanks so far I have read about 3/4's of the book the Snow here is good for slowing the journey to work down and its a very good read I must say...

The Award for the Fjords well it passed the time shame it all got wiped out....

And as to the Fiddly bits well if one doesnt fiddle what should one do ??? :rofl:

A quick question, I have just been on Abebooks looking for Bomber Pilot (which I have just purchased in hardback for £11.25 including P&P).

My question is what is on the dustjacket of the book as one of the cheaper copies had the warning "dustjacket raunchy", I have seen a photo of the cover and it shows biplanes (1 1/2 strutters I assume) diving, unless I have missed something that doesn't sound raunchy.

I am just asking out of idle curiosity, to see if the bookseller is trying to make the book sound more appealing to some people.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Yeah tis an Old Strutter could be that if its second hand that the cover might be damaged... Just wait and see when it arrives I guess...

Rugbyfan, "dustjacket raunchy" in this paticular example likely means it's in poor condition, not that it has something inappropriate printed on it. Although I suppose it's possible the Strutter is fitted up with garters and stockings and sporting a push-up. :biggrin:

Oi leave the old Strutter alone... just because yours doesnt have high heels Suspenders and a Bra... hmmmm that lines familiar...

Oh yes thats it Lumberjacks...

TKS Davy. Also, as a reminder, uncleal has a listing over in the OFF Knowledge Base Forum of WWI books on the internet as well. And, as another reminder, I did put together the following zip file you folks can download, (this is also in uncleal's post):

WWI Books Download Zip

This download contains the following titles:

Biogrophies, Diaries, Personal Writings

“A Flying Fighter”, by E.M. Roberts, c.1918

”A Happy Warrior”, the letters of William M. Russel, c.1918

”Above the Battle”, by Vivian Drake, c.1918

“Air Men O'War”, by Boyd Cable, c.1918

”An Aviator’s Field Book”, the field notes of Oswald Bolcke, English Edition c.1917

”Cavalry of the Clouds”, by Alan Bott, c.1918

”En l'air!”, by Bert Hall, c.1918

”Fighting the Flying Circus”, by Eddie Rickenbacker, c.1919

”Flying For France”, by James R. McConnell, c.1917

”Go Get 'Em!”, by William Wellman, c.1918

”Green Balls: The Adventures Of a Night-Bomber”, by Paul Bewsher, c.1919

”High Adventure”, by James Norman Hall, c.1918

”Night Bombing With the Bedouins”, by Robert H. Reece, c.1919

”The Flying Poilu”, by Marcel Nadaud, c.1918

“The Red Battle Flyer”, by Manfred von Richthofen, English Edition c.1918

”The Way of the Eagle”, by Charles J. Biddle, c.1919

”Winged Warfare”, by William A. Bishop, c.1918

References:

“Aircraft Mechanics Handbook”, c.1918

”Heroes Of Aviation”, by Laurence La Tourette Driggs, c.1918

”How To Fly”, by A. Frederick Collins, c.1918

“Learning To Fly in the U.S. Army”, by E.N. Fales, c.1917

“Practical Flying”, by W.G. McMinnies, c.1918

“The Aero Manual”, c.1909

“The German Air Force in the Great War”, by Georg Paul Neumann, c.1920

”The Romance Of Aircraft”, by Laurence Smith, c.1919

Enjoy!

Lou

Nice one, missed that WW1 download link first time around. :drinks:

Guest British_eh

Hi there:

More links - I got mine through "The Aerodrome" which if I remember correctly, even rated the books.

Slartibartfast : Would it be possible to post any good pics, or copy any paint schemes of the Strutter. It's my DiD plane in the K vs K DiD campaign.

Ta.

British_eh