Sign in to follow this  
Abhi

how to set skin effects

plaese tell me how to manipulate specular,glossiness etc type of values.i've used notepad and hexeditors but unable to do so.

It's in the TextureSet.ini of each skin, the values are there, the higher the values, the higher gloss and such.

Edited by EricJ

Realize, there will be some parts of the aircraft that may not be able to be manipulated at all without the MAX file because the values were set in the MAX file.

For instance, tires shouldn't ever be shiny, so a modder might manipulate the glossiness within MAX. At that point, you will not be able to change the glossiness of the tires at all without access to the MAX file.

FC

The only thing I'd add to EricJ's and FC's answer is to think of Specular as the amount of polishing or shine. I only mention this as I had no idea what it meant!

i've edited the ini but as FC said it is manipulated bymax files but i found one strange thing,i made a skin for su-30 but i was unable to get desired result by editing the ini,so copied a f-15a's ini file and wow! it worked fine but main problem is i cant set the values according to my choice.

upon playing HAWX i noticed that these effects make the model appear more realistic,so please help.

HAWX probably has bump mapping...TW sims don't support this.

FC

HAWX has specular mapping as well which allows for different specular properties on a single material. Which of course SF does not have. Also SF has bumpmapping, but just not on objects (so we can't make proper use of it). In order to set different specular properties one must assign separate materials to those parts that are matte and those that are shiny but the drawback here is that one gets far more drawcalls than are necessary. Basically because the engine handles materials in a totally obsolete way.

hmmmmmmmm. seems like TK needs to do some serious homework.